C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump failure?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Silver72
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Engine flooding!

Been troubleshooting a problem for weeks. Rebuilding my ‘72. Having this problem where the engine is flooding. Car starts but after running for a while it will not restart. We are pretty confident it is not the carb. Is it possible the fuel pump could be causing the engine to flood? We tested the fuel pressure and it holds at 3 pounds. When we last started it we removed the carb, looked in the intake and it was wet. Determined it is not vapor lock as the problem happens when engine is cold. Current plan is to replace the fuel pump. Appreciate any suggestions. This is basically the last thing to fix before I can get this baby back on the road after countless years!!

Last edited by Silver72; 06-17-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If the engine is flooding first place I would look is the carb. Probably a faulty float or needle hanging the fuel bowl open. Another cause would be if the pump puts out too much pressure. Typically over 7 psi.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Not the pumps fault at 3 psi.

Float level too high, dirt in needle valve, or floats sinking, something along those lines.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 272 Posts

If you have a Holley, replace the needle and seat. Today's gas eats away at the Viton tip on the needle causing it not to seal correctly.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 AM
Silver72
Racer

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
If you have a Holley, replace the needle and seat. Today's gas eats away at the Viton tip on the needle causing it not to seal correctly.
Tried 2 different Rochester 7042202 carbs. They were both rebuilt with new floats. They were also tested before installing on my car. Very baffling...
Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,254 Likes on 3,902 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If it happens after the engine was hot, you need a spacer. The engine heat is heating the carb and boiling the fuel and its overflowing into the intake. My edelbrock was bad at this until I put in the spacer. I just switched to a Quadrajet and they have the small rubber heat shield gasket but I used a 1 inch spacer like I had on the edelbrock and it works great. I had to buy a special divorced choke but it runs great
Old 06-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Silver72
Racer

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
If it happens after the engine was hot, you need a spacer. The engine heat is heating the carb and boiling the fuel and its overflowing into the intake. My edelbrock was bad at this until I put in the spacer. I just switched to a Quadrajet and they have the small rubber heat shield gasket but I used a 1 inch spacer like I had on the edelbrock and it works great. I had to buy a special divorced choke but it runs great
Happen when the engine is cold.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

crack in the bowl or leaking plug? Ask Lars. He just did my carb and my car is running likes its fuel injected. I cant be happier, the man is a genius with these things.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Silver72
Racer

crack in the bowl or leaking plug? Ask Lars. He just did my carb and my car is running likes its fuel injected. I cant be happier, the man is a genius with these things.
Tried 2 different carbs and both were examined/tested by a guy who rebuilds carbs for a living (unlike me.)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Both carbs not functioning properly......
It is a function of engine vacuum to draw the fuel into the intake. If the carb is functioning properly.....then it get what it needs and nothing more.
If it is flooding....then it is the carbs fault....especially when cold.
If these are Q-jet carbs.....I remember years ago that there were problems with the well plugs on some rebuild where they used epoxy....check that out.....and Lars, please pop in here if I am not clear.

Good luck....!

Jebby
Old 06-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Silver72
Racer

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
It is a function of engine vacuum to draw the fuel into the intake. If the carb is functioning properly.....then it get what it needs and nothing more.
If these are Q-jet carbs.....I remember years ago that there were problems with the well plugs on some rebuild where they used epoxy....check that out.....and Lars, please pop in here if I am not clear.

Good luck....!

Jebby
Thanks Jebby (and everyone else above.) Will look into that. We did out of desperation decide to swap out the fuel pump which is a PITA. The new one goes on Tuesday. Vendor sent us the wrong one (no return line). When does the fun start?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver72
Thanks Jebby (and everyone else above.) When does the fun start?
Started as soon as you bought the car. My Prius? I never have any fun working on it. But my 75 and my waaay too many boats? Lots of fun!

Last edited by derekderek; 06-17-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I've got a fuel pump that only goes to 3.5/ 4 lbs. I got the exact opposite problem. new one is in the mail
Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,918 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan

Good luck....!

Jebby

If fuel pressure is less than 6psi, and if the engine is flooded out after hot shut-down, there is a problem with the carb allowing fuel to "seep" past the needle/seat and flood the engine. It's most likely a carb problem related to the float or the needle/seat assembly. There are instances of porous carb castings and leaking well plugs in the carb that can cause the same problems, but these issues are rare. I'd be looking at the carb(s) for the problem.

Lars
The following users liked this post:
Silver72 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 AM
Silver72
Racer

Originally Posted by lars

If fuel pressure is less than 6psi, and if the engine is flooded out after hot shut-down, there is a problem with the carb allowing fuel to "seep" past the needle/seat and flood the engine. It's most likely a carb problem related to the float or the needle/seat assembly. There are instances of porous carb castings and leaking well plugs in the carb that can cause the same problems, but these issues are rare. I'd be looking at the carb(s) for the problem.

Lars
Also, when we ran her last with a fuel pressure gauge installed, the pressure never went above 3 pounds which we thought was odd.

Last edited by Silver72; 06-18-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Silver72
Racer

I've got a fuel pump that only goes to 3.5/ 4 lbs. I got the exact opposite problem. new one is in the mail
What do you mean by you had the exact opposite problem. We also noticed that we only got a little bit over 3lbs!

Last edited by Silver72; 06-18-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:14 AM
Silver72
Racer

Been troubleshooting a problem for weeks. Rebuilding my ‘72. Having this problem where the engine is flooding. Car starts but after running for a while it will not restart. We are pretty confident it is not the carb. Is it possible the fuel pump could be causing the engine to flood? We tested the fuel pressure and it holds at 3 pounds. When we last started it we removed the carb, looked in the intake and it was wet. Determined it is not vapor lock as the problem happens when engine is cold. Current plan is to replace the fuel pump. Appreciate any suggestions. This is basically the last thing to fix before I can get this baby back on the road after countless years!!
The problem occurs immediately, even when the engine is not hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump failure?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Have you checked to see if the fuel tank is venting correctly?
You could try starting without the gas cap and see if the condition clears up.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,918 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Also, when we ran her last with a fuel pressure gauge installed, the pressure never went above 3 pounds which we thought was odd.
The engine will run fine with 3psi of fuel pressure. That won't cause the problem you describe.

Lars
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Lars, what fuel pressure should these quadrajets be running at. Ive read less than 6 psi. I just bought a new 7lb pump and a new regulator as my old pump was only putting out 3.5 and the regulator was 1-4 psi I was going to reduce it to 5/ 5.5.
I was thinking the PO was over pressuring his setup if 2 different carbs were causing the same issue. I'm using a 1 inch spacer and haven't had any percolation problems at all. Just hard starts after it's been sitting for a week. Like its evaporated all the gas off.

with my edelbrock I would have these flooding problems when it was sitting after it was hot after it cooled down overnight. That's why I went to the phenolitic spacer and kept it for the quadrajet. I have an aftermarket divorced electric choke conversion mode to work and it does

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 06-18-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump failure?