C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground wire from engine to frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ground wire from engine to frame

Hello All,

Question: Is the ground wire from the side of the engine block to the free on the passenger side needed? What would happen if it's removed?

Also does anyone have any pictures of diagram of the location of the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter? Need to replace mine.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Battery negative connects to frame under the bat compartment.....positive to starter lug goes up/over trans, tied up to floorboard/hump....so to complete electrical circuit because of rubber vibration dampers in engine/trans mounts....you need another ~6" long cable to ground engine to frame...up/under the right/pass side engine mount.....

when redoing them cables, you need make sure all the metal is clean/bare shiney NAKED metal, and then bolt down secure tight, then cover over with a coat of RTV Black from your parts house.....

starter bolt and battery bolts excepted.....

Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes, you NEED the ground wire from the frame to the right side engine mount/ front starter support. If you do not have it connected, all the current for engine starting will TRY to get to the starter by other means. And, sometimes, that is not enough. It also may overheat/melt other ground connections.

Rhetorical question: Why do folks not understand that the same amount of current flowing in the (+) positive wiring must also flow in the (-) negative [ground] wiring.....or else NOTHING flows in either?!!!

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-20-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

on camaros, if you disconnect the ground wire from frame to motor .you can burn up the cable for the shifter on the automatic tranny.i have replaced two of them. both times the ground cable was not replaced after a motor change.On my corvette I have a extra cable from the back of the alternator to the frame to get rid of radio wine. Ground wire is needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Ground wire from engine to frame

Quick Reply: Ground wire from engine to frame