C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 corvette fuse box wire location & fuse labels

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:48 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1977 corvette fuse box wire location & fuse labels

hi...... again thanks for all your help
I just finished purchasing and installing headlight harness, engine harness and dash harness but I keep blowing fuses and dash lights stay on all the time. i did start the car a few days ago but the new battery is dead now also i burned up the printed circuit behind the gauge cluster I believe I wired it incorrectly I also believe it has to do with the middle terminals on the fuse box. I have the Corvette chassis wiring diagram for the 77 Vette but it's not that great and detailed to exactly what needs to be plugged in (see pic #1 & 2)(im not sure if im looking at it the right way it seems the diagram is printed inverted). My question is can someone please tell me what plugs in into the for Middle Terminals and what corresponds to those terminals (see pic #3). my 2nd question is can someone please let me know the labels on the fuse box there is a lot of abbreviations I can kind of deduce some abbreviations but not all in order for me to know what goes where and determined the area of where and why my fuse are being blown (example- lps=lamps, haz =hazard) (i think but not sure please help
thanks again

pic #1 looking at it normal but looks almost inverted

pic #2 looking at it sideways but still looks inverted but no help

pic #3 the circled area i do not know what goes there exactly. the rest is labeled with abbreviations that i cant decipher (almost like Egyptian hieroglyphs) hahaha....

this is what im working with now

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 06-24-2018 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette1955 (10-22-2021)
Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The center terminals are mostly for accessories.

The pink black in the ING terminal might be for power windows.
or maybe the rear defogger.

The orange in the ACCY terminal, someone else will know.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified

Question, is a 1975 fuse box the same as a 1977 box ?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Where do I get one of these wiring diagrams that show the fuses wiring for my 68? I've got the AIM but it's not good in the fuse area. I need to find out where IGN terminal wiring is fed from.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
Where do I get one of these wiring diagrams that show the fuses wiring for my 68? I've got the AIM but it's not good in the fuse area. I need to find out where IGN terminal wiring is fed from.
Not sure if this one helps but it's the only one I have.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jI1NDMyY2I3YzQ
Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

To OP: here is a picture of a page in my electric troubleshooting manual from my 78. Might help identify the hieroglyphics on the fuse block.

I use this manual ALL the time. Bought mine on eBay and was worth every penny, just for issues like you are having.

Did a quick search, there are several for sale now on eBay for a 77. Example is here.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 AM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt81

To OP: here is a picture of a page in my electric troubleshooting manual from my 78. Might help identify the hieroglyphics on the fuse block.

I use this manual ALL the time. Bought mine on eBay and was worth every penny, just for issues like you are having.

Did a quick search, there are several for sale now on eBay for a 77. Example is here.
ohh ok cool i didnt know this book existed
& im over here thinking i already own every book for the car thanks i will get it soon... hopefully it will help

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 06-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Wiring help

Go to the docrebuild.com site. He sells 11x17 laminated charts (called oOSOEZ0) that show all of the connectors in your C3 and the color/gauge wires that feed them, all the way back to the fuse box. There are two separate charts, one for the Dash Harness (part number 8977101 for the 1977 1st design, with the alarm switch in the fender), and one for rest of the car (part number 8977103 for the 1977 with the alarm switch in the left fender.) These have helped me greatly with my early 77, and they are available for every year/variation of the C3.

FWIW, I have a complete set of adaptors for sale. These convert the glass cartridge fuse holders to the modern ATC/ATO plug in fuses. They include fuses that light when they blow. These are MUCH easier to change than the originals and make troubleshooting much easier. $45 including shipping.

Last edited by Rotonda; 06-26-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:23 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Your fuse panel photo, pull the red and black connector. Looking at the end of the connector it is molded in a pattern that fits a specific cell in the fuse panel. It looks like the Orange/BLK stripe wire and the Pink/BLK stripe wires are indeed for the power windows. The Orange/BLK wire connector if rotated 180* should fit in the top cell ACCY, this cell is also connected to the 30 amp circuit breaker just to the left and is HOT at all times. This circuit goes to the switch portion of the power window relay. The Pink/BLK wire connector should also be rotated 180* and does fit in the IGN cell and is connected to the 10 amp gauge fuse. This circuit powers the coil of the power window relay and is HOT when ignition switch is in the start or on position.

The nice thing about that little blue cover 77 troubleshooting manual they do show both early and late build cars in the drawings.

Last edited by bmotojoe; 06-26-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 corvette fuse box wire location & fuse labels

Quick Reply: 1977 corvette fuse box wire location & fuse labels