C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C3 Cruise Control

My '78C3 has cruise control but it is not working. Is it worth the effort to try and get it working again? I injured my right leg and it is painful to keep it in one position for an extended period of time. This limits the distance I can drive to shows. I would appreciate any advice on diagnosing the issue and whether it's worth it to repair it. It would make the car "whole" again. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have an 80, and i have to trouble shoot mine yet. Could be a fuse to start, could be the transducer. I like the feel of the gas pedal under my foot, there is no room in this car to rest your legs, so may as well keep your foot on the gas.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My cc would not maintain a set speed. It turned out to be the transducer internals were corroded and would not spin freely. The transducer location is tight, but the cc works perfectly now.
Theres a decent diagnostic page in the service manual, especially if your switch is defective

Originally Posted by Philgran
My '78C3 has cruise control but it is not working. Is it worth the effort to try and get it working again? I injured my right leg and it is painful to keep it in one position for an extended period of time. This limits the distance I can drive to shows. I would appreciate any advice on diagnosing the issue and whether it's worth it to repair it. It would make the car "whole" again. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You could fix the existing cruise system; or you could install a new aftermarket all-electronic cruise system and retain the stock switch stalk on your steering column. Rostra makes these kits and the signal is generated by little magnets mounted to your driveshaft, which provide pulse signals to a small magnetic pickup. The process is not complicated, and the result is a rock-steady constant speed with same switches as the original GM unit had.

There is a detailed troubleshooting chart for diagnosing problems with the old GM system. You can probably find a copy on the internet somewhere. It provides orderly steps to check out each portion of the system...and does it in the right order. Many common fixes for the GM system are inexpensive and simple; or you can just throw money at it and buy a new transducer, etc.

If it were me, I would troubleshoot the existing system until I found it was going to be costly or a lot of trouble to repair.
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 05:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Philgran
1978 cruise control diagnostics page can be found at the link below.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...iagnostics.pdf

Willcox
jim-81 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:23 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Default Thanks Grumpy,

Originally Posted by Grumpy 427
I have an 80, and i have to trouble shoot mine yet. Could be a fuse to start, could be the transducer. I like the feel of the gas pedal under my foot, there is no room in this car to rest your legs, so may as well keep your foot on the gas.
thanks, Grumpy, I'll start with the fuse and see if any other replies send me further. I' m worried that the old technology won't disengage when I hit the brake. Heard anything about the reliability of the cruise control?

Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Is your speedometer working? If it is not then it will be at least the transducer that needs changing.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You could fix the existing cruise system; or you could install a new aftermarket all-electronic cruise system and retain the stock switch stalk on your steering column. Rostra makes these kits and the signal is generated by little magnets mounted to your driveshaft, which provide pulse signals to a small magnetic pickup. The process is not complicated, and the result is a rock-steady constant speed with same switches as the original GM unit had.

There is a detailed troubleshooting chart for diagnosing problems with the old GM system. You can probably find a copy on the internet somewhere. It provides orderly steps to check out each portion of the system...and does it in the right order. Many common fixes for the GM system are inexpensive and simple; or you can just throw money at it and buy a new transducer, etc.

If it were me, I would troubleshoot the existing system until I found it was going to be costly or a lot of trouble to repair.
Rostra does make a kit to use magnets on the driveshaft to generate a signal, but they also have a signal generator that goes in between the trans and the existing speedo cable as well. I just put a Rostra cruise in my 78 and used that option, easy install.
Philgran (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

I had a look at mine last night, i have a 3 wire transducer with only 2 terminals connected? the "Light" terminal has no wire.. Should my 80 be a 2 wire, or do i need to go hunting the harness for the third wire.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

I am dreading this. I will have to pull the drivers seat out to be able to look up under the dash to see what switches are mounted to the brake pedal.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have repaired many and got them to work and it is a 50/50 split on if it is the hose that goes to the vacuum switch at the brake pedal is bad...or the actual switch will not hold vacuum.

I have taken apart the transducers and fixed them many times.

Regardless...the information that WIllcox posted in POST #5 is what you need.

:"Grumpy427'.
My 1980 wiring diagram only show a 2 wire connector going to your transducer OTHER THAN the black ground wire that is bolted to it.

DUB
Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Ok so i wonder if someone had tried to repair this before me and installed a 3 wire transducer instead of a 2 wire?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have no clue on that due to not being able to really get a good look of what you have installed.

DUB
Old 06-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

well the speedo works, and i have an open cct across the 2 pins of the transducer. So my next step will be to look at the brake pedal switches and the fuse panel.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What are the symptoms? I assume that it will not activate, but does the cruise light illuminate on the dash? Have you checked to see if turning the CC switch to ON provides 12vdc to the system? Sometimes, the details in the symptoms can lead you directly to the root cause.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

There is no cruise lite on the dash. This is confusing as i have a transducer with a "Lite " terminal on it and no wire? Everyone so far said mine should be a 2 wire one. Kind of hard to start when the components may be wrong to start with. Be running around in circles.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

will start with the schematic and start looking for power go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Cruise Control

Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
Rostra does make a kit to use magnets on the driveshaft to generate a signal, but they also have a signal generator that goes in between the trans and the existing speedo cable as well. I just put a Rostra cruise in my 78 and used that option, easy install.
. I'll try to trouble shoot the system and if it looks too expensive to fix, I'll try the Rosta system. Thank you for the lead! Phil
Old 06-29-2018, 09:48 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Grumpy 427
There is no cruise lite on the dash. This is confusing as i have a transducer with a "Lite " terminal on it and no wire? Everyone so far said mine should be a 2 wire one. Kind of hard to start when the components may be wrong to start with. Be running around in circles.
Can you post a good a photo of your transducer???

DUB
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 AM
DUB
Race Director

A 1981 wiring schematic shows the transducer has THREE wires.

Look at the brake switch area and see if it has a light blue and pink with a black stripe on it.

You should also have another switch at the brake pedal area that has an ORANGE and WHITE wire going to it

DUB

Quick Reply: C3 Cruise Control