C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Exhaust - Old One Off, Now What...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 PM
kbacklund
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Swapping Exhaust - Old One Off, Now What...

Hey gang,

So, I decided to go with true duals on my 1978 L48 PC. I removed the old exhaust today and am going to order this system from Corvette Central (Magnaflow 2 1/2"). A few questions...

On the new exhaust, I am planning to use Permatex Muffler Sealer on the joints. I am also planning to wrap the exhaust with heat wrap to keep cabin temperature down as much as possible. Should I be doing anything else? For the clamps, will the standard U-bolt clamps do? Or should I go for the banded clamps?

Also, while the old exhaust is gone, is there anything that I should replace/upgrade? The car has ~23K original miles. It looks like plugs are a little easier to replace with the exhaust out and I know they are original.

Thanks!
Kurt
Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

If the plug wires are also original,I would do those at the same time. They will be much easier to replace with the exhaust off.
The following users liked this post:
kbacklund (06-30-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 12:47 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I had some old headers wrapped before. I would not do that again. When I went to remove them (for some project) and I unwrapped them, it was immediately obvious that they had been terribly corroded--- they were paper thin and flaking apart under that wrap. You'd be better off having thing coated instead of wrapping.

Originally Posted by kbacklund
Hey gang,

So, I decided to go with true duals on my 1978 L48 PC. I removed the old exhaust today and am going to order this system from Corvette Central (Magnaflow 2 1/2"). A few questions...

On the new exhaust, I am planning to use Permatex Muffler Sealer on the joints. I am also planning to wrap the exhaust with heat wrap to keep cabin temperature down as much as possible. Should I be doing anything else? For the clamps, will the standard U-bolt clamps do? Or should I go for the banded clamps?

Also, while the old exhaust is gone, is there anything that I should replace/upgrade? The car has ~23K original miles. It looks like plugs are a little easier to replace with the exhaust out and I know they are original.

Thanks!
Kurt
Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

If you're going to true duels you'll need a new transmission exhaust bracket.
64-74 Front Exhaust hanger

I went with a standard 2 1/2 inch system years in 2001 that is aluminum coated and they look like new to this day. Look for something like that or you could always go SS. Can't say they retain the heat but if you want to header wrap them it probably would be better to have coated steel than un-coated to keep them from doing what carriljc said. I do have a little header wrap under my composite spring and it's not rusting under there the last time I looked which was about two years ago.

Last edited by theandies; 07-01-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:55 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

It appears from the link it is for a dual exhaust with an automatic and no headers?. The bracket Theadies mentioned I used for my dual exhaust but I have a 4spd. You need to check on what exhaust hangers are used for an automatic system. Found this but hopefully someone who has done the change can chime in: https://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvett...acket-618957-1
Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 AM
kbacklund
Advanced

Originally Posted by theandies
If you're going to true duels you'll need a new transmission exhaust bracket.
64-74 Front Exhaust hanger

I went with a standard 2 1/2 inch system years in 2001 that is aluminum coated and they look like new to this day. Look for something like that or you could always go SS. Can't say they retain the heat but if you want to header wrap them it probably would be better to have coated steel than un-coated to keep them from doing what carriljc said. I do have a little header wrap under my composite spring and it's not rusting under there the last time I looked which was about two years ago.
Yes, this is an auto with no headers. The Corvette Central system comes with a central hangar. Would this suffice instead of the transmission bracket?

Last edited by kbacklund; 07-01-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 AM
kbacklund
Advanced

Originally Posted by carriljc
I had some old headers wrapped before. I would not do that again. When I went to remove them (for some project) and I unwrapped them, it was immediately obvious that they had been terribly corroded--- they were paper thin and flaking apart under that wrap. You'd be better off having thing coated instead of wrapping.
Hmmm. An alternative is a
Thermo-Tec clamp-on heat shield Thermo-Tec clamp-on heat shield
. Wonder if this would be better...
Old 07-01-2018, 10:59 AM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm. An alternative is a Thermo-Tec clamp-on heat shield. Wonder if this would be better...
I've used the DEI version on other applications and it held up very well.

Amazon Amazon
DEITIM (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 05:14 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Yes, this is an auto with no headers. The Corvette Central system comes with a central hangar. Would this suffice instead of the transmission bracket?
Looks as if it would work OK. Is that a rubber isolator where it bolts to the cross-member. The only reservation I'd have is it's bolted to the cross-member. The trans bracket is above the rubber transmission mount so the exhaust will move with the drive-train. I think the pipes and more importantly your exhaust manifold wouldn't like being ridged with the engine and trans rotating a little because of torque.

Last edited by theandies; 07-01-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:24 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

The trouble with any type of exhaust wrap is, it retains moisture. Most header companies will void warranty if wrap is used.
By all means use butt- joint band clamps. You will like their simplicity when part of the exhaust system has to be removed. Tough to do with the old "squeeze clamps".
kbacklund (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 PM
kbacklund
Advanced

Originally Posted by theandies
Looks as if it would work OK. Is that a rubber isolator where it bolts to the cross-member.
Yes, it has rubber isolators to allow for some movement.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:01 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

kbacklund-
Where did you find these hangers/clamps? I'd like to try that on mine.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 PM
kbacklund
Advanced

Originally Posted by carriljc
kbacklund-
Where did you find these hangers/clamps? I'd like to try that on mine.
Center hangar from Corvette Central.
carriljc (07-01-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 AM
0DEITIM
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey gang,

Thanks!
Kurt
Hi Kurt,

I'd like to chime in and offer some advice and tips. Check out our Titanium exhaust wrap or our pipe shields. http://designengineering.com/titanium-exhaust-wrap/ . The Titanium wrap will help keep more heat in the pipes versus a pipe shield but both work for their purposes. We offer stainless steel locking ties which are basically stainless steel zip ties to hold the wrap on. http://designengineering.com/stainle...-locking-ties/ . You can also use band clamps or stainless steel safety wire to help hold the wrap on. As far as corrosion goes. Wrap doesn't cause corrosion, water, metal, and oxygen cause corrosion. That being said be sure your pipes are coated with a header paint, our HT silicone spray, or make sure the pipes are made of stainless steel. Steel pipes will rust or corrode no matter what if they are not painted or coated, wrapped or not. Also, header wrap will absorb some moisture but it typically burns off as soon as the water touches it, no different than un-coated pipe. The only way water would stay in the wrap is if you start the car, wash it or drive thru a swamp and then park it immediately. For some reason people tend to think wrap holds moisture even though it is wrapped around a surface that is causing enough heat issues to warrant wrapping the pipes to begin with. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need any help or with any questions.

Thanks, Tim

Last edited by DEITIM; 07-02-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:29 AM
kbacklund
Advanced

Originally Posted by DEITIM
Hi Kurt,

I'd like to chime in and offer some advice and tips.
Thanks for the advice Tim. Will check them out...
DEITIM (07-02-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DEITIM
Hi Kurt,

I'd like to chime in and offer some advice and tips. Check out our Titanium exhaust wrap or our pipe shields. http://designengineering.com/titanium-exhaust-wrap/ . The Titanium wrap will help keep more heat in the pipes versus a pipe shield but both work for their purposes. We offer stainless steel locking ties which are basically stainless steel zip ties to hold the wrap on. http://designengineering.com/stainle...-locking-ties/ . You can also use band clamps or stainless steel safety wire to help hold the wrap on. As far as corrosion goes. Wrap doesn't cause corrosion, water, metal, and oxygen cause corrosion. That being said be sure your pipes are coated with a header paint, our HT silicone spray, or make sure the pipes are made of stainless steel. Steel pipes will rust or corrode no matter what if they are not painted or coated, wrapped or not. Also, header wrap will absorb some moisture but it typically burns off as soon as the water touches it, no different than un-coated pipe. The only way water would stay in the wrap is if you start the car, wash it or drive thru a swamp and then park it immediately. For some reason people tend to think wrap holds moisture even though it is wrapped around a surface that is causing enough heat issues to warrant wrapping the pipes to begin with. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need any help or with any questions.

Thanks, Tim
I can vouch for DEI's titanium wrap. My sons Cobalt had a 1/4 crack in the exhaust manifold flex pipe and was leaking and sounded like crap. At the time I didn't have the time to replace it so I got some DEI titanium header wrap and their SS zip-ties and wrapped the flex pipe. I know it's a Bubba solution but it was only temporary. It lasted until I changed the pipe and that was about 4 months and it came off almost like brand new. That was with direct exhaust contact.
As a matter of fact I'm going to re-wrap my exhaust pipes that run under my composite spring with DEI titanium wrap the next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by theandies:
DEITIM (07-03-2018), kbacklund (07-03-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone tried that new Zyban coating on headers yet? They are claiming it goes on like paint but blocks heat better than ceramic coating or wrap.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping Exhaust - Old One Off, Now What...

Quick Reply: Swapping Exhaust - Old One Off, Now What...