C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under hood clearance experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:12 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Under hood clearance experience

It's been a L-O-N-N-N-N-N-G-G-G-G-G-G time since I darkened the halls of Corvette Forum. Long story, but my Vette has been sitting in the garage under a flannel cocoon for far too long. I've finally been able to get it to the shop for some needed maintenance AND some go fast goodies.

My car is a 79 L82 with a 4 speed manual. Stock HP... a mind numbing 230. My wife had a 84 Camaro in which we had put a custom built 420HP 383. Wife can't drive the Camaro anymore, so we decided to put the 383 in the Vette.

At this point, the engine and a new 5 speed transmission is in the car. While there have been a lot of while we're at its, (new radiator, heater core, a/c repair, etc.) we are CLOSE to the end.

What I hope are our final issues are:

1) clutch Z bar relocation bracket isn't quite the "Bolt in" solution Scoggin Dickey claimed it to be. Pivot ball on relocation bracket is too far out away from the block and we may have to modify the Z bar to get it back in. (i.e. cut it in half, take about 1/2" out of it and weld it back together)

2) The dreaded hood clearance issue

In the Camaro, the engine had an RPM airgap intake (aftermarket hood). As I was concerned about clearance, we pulled it off the 383 and went to an Edelbrock EPS. I've read MANY posts here of people saying they are running taller manifolds with a drop base and it fit.

I am not finding this to be the case. Even though the EPS is just 0.20" taller than the stock manifold, I am unable to fit a 3" open air cleaner with a 1" drop base under my 79 stock medium rise hood. I have the Edelbrock EPS with a Holley 650 cfm Ultra double pumper on top. Supposedly, the Holley is just as tall as the stock Rochester. I can go to a shorter filter element, but that's going to drop the lid very close to the top of the vent tube on the carb. A lower drop base causes the accelerator to hit the bottom of the air cleaner, plus, it would create the same vent tube clearance issue.

So to all of you running RPM's under your hood, I can't figure out how you can do it.

Not looking to find solutions here, although if you have any, I'll listen.

I'm just sharing my experience.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 79MakoL82
In the Camaro, the engine had an RPM airgap intake (aftermarket hood). As I was concerned about clearance, we pulled it off the 383 and went to an Edelbrock EPS. I've read MANY posts here of people saying they are running taller manifolds with a drop base and it fit.
I have the RPM airgap intake on my ZZ383 I was able to have everything fit under the stock hood.

Here is my install test fit.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-78-a.html

Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

I don't think I can run a 1 1/2" drop base with the Holley carb (the vents and the accelerator issue). Even still, the EPS is a half inch shorter than the RPM airgap, so that SHOULD make up for the half inch and mine STILL doesn't fit. I did see you grinded down the throttle plate an 1/8 inch to accommodate the lower drop.

I could stick with the 1" drop and make up the 1/2 inch by going to a 2 1/2" K&N element, but still worry about vent tube clearance under the lid.

Last edited by 79MakoL82; 07-02-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Went through all of this, have you ascertained exactly how much clearance you need to gain? I ended up with the drop base air cleaner, 3" filter and Weiand street warrior manifold. I had the Performer EPS fitted and could JUST get the hood to close, the Street warrior gives another critical 1/4" of clearance
Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have used single plane intakes on my 79 vette since the 80s with open element filters

as the intakes got taller. Dropped base was okay. Then I went to a 2 inch and a k&n filter top. With the motor tilted forward with an aluminum block on the tranny cross member

you just have to think outside the box and be creative

Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I didn't buy into all the rpm air gap hype. So I went with a Team G single plane air gap without the clearance headaches and didn't give up any performance. I have an open element 4" high filter under the stock '76 hood. No grinding, denting, etc required to install except for a small cut on the air cleaner base to prevent interference with the large style hei distributor cap and shielding.

Last edited by resdoggie; 07-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Haggisbash: Haven't figured out just how much I need yet. Hoping maybe just a 1/4". The shop is not a fan of Weiand for some reason. Ironically, they say they've experienced fitment issues with Weiand.

gkull: Would prefer to stay with a dual plane intake for lower end performance.

I've been wondering if this issue isn't caused by mounts. If I got new engine mounts with worn out body mounts, that would cause the engine to sit higher relative to the body, would it not?

I know the shop is concerned about the lid and the vent tubes, but they are cut on a 45 degree angle at the top, so I wonder how much effect the lid would actually have if I went to a 2.5" filter element. The entire tube opening would still be open from the side. Shop is talking about drilling pin holes in the tubes to alleviate any issue.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

When I put a BB in my 77 with a performer rpm intake, keeping the stock hood was a must.

The solution was a choke-less Holley carb with its center stud removed, a drop base air cleaner, and a flat air cleaner cap.

I'm very happy with this configuration, it worked out well. No issues.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:30 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Well, it looks like we may be able to get away with a 1 1/4" drop base. Better than going with a 2.5" element. That would drop the lid down a full 1/2" closer to the vents. With the 1 1/4" drop base, the throttle lever just brushes the base and the lid comes down only the 1/4" I need. I think we can work with that. May need to grind the end of the throttle lever down slightly or put a small dent in the base, but either way, should be easy to get the clearance.

Still don't understand how you guys get those RPM's under the hood. You obviously have done it, but I couldn't make it work.

The bigger issue now seems to be the clutch Z bar fitment issue. Just once, I'd love a project to go smoothly.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:35 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hate to do this to you but had to chime in. Performer RPM Air Gap, plumed for fuel injection with a FAST throttle body all under a stock 73 hood. It doesn't help you but you asked how.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:05 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Very funny BlowAMouse. Shop has been trying to get me to go to FiTech EFI, but at this point, the cost is just prohibitive when you add up parts and labor.

I'm just hoping to get my car back on the road soon. I'll keep playing Powerball though. As long as there's Powerball, there's still hope.

P.S. where's your A/C compressor? Gotta have A/C in Florida!!!

Last edited by 79MakoL82; 07-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

A/C = T-tops off, windows down at 85mph
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Well, it looks like we may be able to get away with a 1 1/4" drop base. Better than going with a 2.5" element. That would drop the lid down a full 1/2" closer to the vents. With the 1 1/4" drop base, the throttle lever just brushes the base and the lid comes down only the 1/4" I need. I think we can work with that. May need to grind the end of the throttle lever down slightly or put a small dent in the base, but either way, should be easy to get the clearance.

Still don't understand how you guys get those RPM's under the hood. You obviously have done it, but I couldn't make it work.

The bigger issue now seems to be the clutch Z bar fitment issue. Just once, I'd love a project to go smoothly.
Clutch Z bar issue? go Hydraulic, I'm thinking that's my next up grade for the camaro.. just 2 more cents worth
Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Clutch Z bar issue? go Hydraulic, I'm thinking that's my next up grade for the camaro.. just 2 more cents worth
Two reason for not going hydraulic.

1) $$$$

2) One of the reasons my wife has NEVER wanted to drive the car is that the clutch is too hard to press in. Let's just call it a safety feature.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've had RPMs and Vic Jr intakes on mine with a 3 inch drop base open element style filter with no clearance issues. I wonder if someone changed your motor mounts to the wrong ones for your car. I have Moroso solids now,...and an L88 hood, so I have tons of space.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Been there done that with the z bar on my friends car. Put in another engine only to find out there wasn't any hole
in the block for the ball stud. My fault for not noticing it prior. Had to install the bracket only to find surprise #2 that
the bar now needed to be shortened and welded.

Looking back, I wonder if it was possible to drill and tap the boss on the block to accept a ball stud.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

2) One of the reasons my wife has NEVER wanted to drive the car is that the clutch is too hard to press in. Let's just call it a safety feature. [/QUOTE]

Best line I've heard in awhile

Last edited by BlowAMouse; 07-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Under hood clearance experience

Quick Reply: Under hood clearance experience