C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 steering box play/noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Mitty
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 74 steering box play/noise

Hi, I finally got to drive my new 74 c3 yesterday, all excited, first drive in one, and was really disappointed with the steering, loads of play in the wheel before it reacted, then seemed to over steer, I was constantly fighting it.
So, I’ve been looking at the rag joint and steering box. The rag joint is worn out, see pic, but I also have loads of play in the box, and it makes a clonk when you move it by hand, see vid. Now, I know I’m going to need to replace the rag joint, but is the steering box shot, or could it be the idler arm? Unfortunately I’m on my own till later, so no help to move the wheel while I look underneath.
I’ve also looked at the Borgeson steering box upgrade, which comes with a new rag joint, should I just go this route anyway as I’m changing the rag joint? I’m happy to spend the money to get it right.
Any help would be great.

Tim.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

You'll need to check if the play is in the box or somewhere else to be sure. You need to check this with the steering centred. If it is the box there are adjustments that can be done, but the box needs to be removed for them. They can be rebuilt as well. If you don't feel comfortable doing the rebuild yourself then contact Gary (GTR1999) he does the the best rebuilds on these boxes.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Mitty
Instructor

Hi, thanks, I’ve had a better look underneath while the wife moved the steering, and the free play movement into the box isn’t transferred out of the box, so looks like the box is at fault. So, I’ve just ordered the borgeman kit.
Unfortunately I’m in the U.K., so everything’s much more expensive, and have to wait longer for delivery. To put it into perspective, the kit was $670, with shipping and U.K. vat, comes in at $917. Criminal.

Tim.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Is there a reason you didn't just pursue a rebuild/adjustment of the OEM box? They work great when properly adjusted. You probably could have saved a ton of cash.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:14 PM
Mitty
Instructor

I’ve read lots of threads saying the borgeman is a big improvement over a standard box, lower ratio etc, so sounded like a good move anyway.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitty
I’ve read lots of threads saying the borgeman is a big improvement over a standard box, lower ratio etc, so sounded like a good move anyway.
flaming river great box
Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I've gone both routes - Borgeson on a '73 P/S car and GTR1999's rebuild service on my '72 manual car. It all depends on what you are looking for. In any case, unless the rest of your steering linkage is in good shape, it won't solve all of your problems. Make sure your tie rod ends, idler arm and ball joints are all in decent shape too. In addition, make sure your front end is aligned properly with the correct amount of toe-in to make it drive with a solid feel.

To sum up - if you want a solid feeling Corvette, make sure both your front and rear suspension is in good shape and aligned properly.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Mitty
Instructor

Hi, absolutely, the whole front and rear suspension is all new, shocks, springs, all bushings and rods etc. I’ve just bought the car, and it’s strange the previous owner has spent so much but missed the all important bit, the sloppy box.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 steering box play/noise

Quick Reply: 74 steering box play/noise