C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you change a muncie tail shaft bushing while the trans is still in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Default Can you change a muncie tail shaft bushing while the trans is still in the car?

I need to change the rear bushing in my 68 muncie. I would like to do it while it is still in the car. I got a new bushing and it is so thin and is half steel and half brass. Is this normal? And yes I have a new seal also.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
I need to change the rear bushing in my 68 muncie. I would like to do it while it is still in the car. I got a new bushing and it is so thin and is half steel and half brass. Is this normal? And yes I have a new seal also.
There is NO way to do this without removing the tailshaft from the trans.
You could probably get the tailshaft off with the trans in the car but that's about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Depending on what spline shaft you have you may or may not be able to. I searched everywhere for the same tool for my 71 LT-1. My car has (if I remember correctly) a 32 spline shaft/yoke. Trans is a muncie M-21 4 speed. There is no comapny that currently makes a blind hole puller for this size. If you have a 27 spline yoke you may be able to find one.

I had a local transmission shop that was willing to order the tool in and loan it to me. They made two different orders and neither one was the right size.

I was able to find these pullers for a TH 350, but never one big enough for the 32 spline muncie.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Professor Fate
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not impossible, you just have to find the right puller. Here is a thread on doing a 200-4R.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-2-w-pics.html
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMHO, it would be easier to pull the trans to do that job. That way, you can work on a bench in a comfortable position, rather than on your back with gear oil dripping onto your face.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
MikeM-CA
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along similar lines, I have a '74 that has oil seepage from the selector shaft(s). It's low miles but old seals... Is it possible to take care of that without pulling the transmission? I'd hate to get started and then discover there isn't room to pull the forks out.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not done it on my Corvette, but I did replace one this way on my 69 GTO many years ago. It is the same 4spd as I recall. I think you can do it in the car.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeM-CA
Along similar lines, I have a '74 that has oil seepage from the selector shaft(s). It's low miles but old seals... Is it possible to take care of that without pulling the transmission? I'd hate to get started and then discover there isn't room to pull the forks out.
If you want, I believe you can replace those seals with nice thick O rings without too much trouble.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by MikeM-CA
Had the same issue on 72 4 speed coupe a few years ago. I was able to remove the side cover of the trans, while still in the car. Just make a note on the position of gear selector forks so they go back the same. Seals are easy to remove and install. Using O rings, mentioned above could have possibilities!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Guy's my tail shaft wiggles, it is the bearing bad. I have had a high speed vibration for years and still had it after the ZZ4 engine change. It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong because the u-joints are solid feeling. I am getting a new problem with the trans now.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
Guy's my tail shaft wiggles, it is the bearing bad. I have had a high speed vibration for years and still had it after the ZZ4 engine change. It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong because the u-joints are solid feeling. I am getting a new problem with the trans now.
I understand, you need to change the bushing at the rear of the transmission. As I indicated above, I did this once in my 69 GTO with the transmission in the car. There was enough room under there to get the old bushing out and drive a new one in. There may or may not be enough room in a Corvette, but my guess is, you can do it in the car. Yes, the replacement bushings are bronze on the inside surface. You are correct, if the bushing is worn, the yoke at the rear of the transmission will vibrate.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the only way to make your repair is to remove the tailshaft housing. But I don't see any way of do so while the muncie is still in place...just not enough room to move it aft. The crossmember/tunnel area gets too narrow plus the E-brake cable pulley is in the way.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm not saying its impossible, but it will be extremely difficult to do with the trans installed. Not to mention one big pain. I would think it wiser to pull the transmission and change the rest of the wear items as well. Rebuild kits are available for under $200. Go to 5speeds.com for info on a book and video that walks you through the rebuild. This is another item on my car that I just went thru. Easily doable in the home garage with a press and knowledge.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM
nestor
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did this and it was very easy on my 69. It took about 5 minutes. You need the tool in the pic below. The tool is S8672D and was made by Snap-on. I got a used one on Ebay. To drive in the new bushing, I taped the new bushing to a 1" pvc pipe connector. Hope this helps the next guy!

Name:  20150121_104334.jpg
Views: 7834
Size:  44.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (10-18-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:09 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by nestor
I just did this and it was very easy on my 69. It took about 5 minutes. You need the tool in the pic below. The tool is S8672D and was made by Snap-on. I got a used one on Ebay. To drive in the new bushing, I taped the new bushing to a 1" pvc pipe connector. Hope this helps the next guy!

Nice Tool!!!
This is a great forum to give and receive advice.

John
Old 12-31-2016, 07:59 PM
robauto
5th Gear

Default Muncie tail shaft bushing tool

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and read this thread. I have a 71, 454 with a muncie. I think it is an M20 with a 32 spline output shaft. I have a leak and it appears to have too much play, so I plan to change the bushing. I cannot find the snap on tool S8672D or a trans shop that has it. One shop said they ordered a similar tool and am waiting for them. Are you guys saying the universal Atec T-0160-A or AZ 2200 tool will work? Anyone in the south jersey area that has the tool? thanks, Rob
Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM
rebel542
Instructor

When I purchased my 79 L82 with Muncie 4 speed in 88 it had a leaking tail shaft seal and a worn out bushing and yoke. Being before the internet all I had was transmission repair shops and the local Chevy dealer, both of which were no help. To make a long story short I simply knocked the old bushing into the transmission using the new bushing as the drive tool. I figured it could go no farther than the speedo gear. After that I drove this car 200k miles. Thats right. 200,000 miles.
UPDATE: Last year I decided to do a general tranny rebuild and the old bushing was right there where I left it, doing no harm at all.
Just for thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you change a muncie tail shaft bushing while the trans is still in the car?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM
robauto
5th Gear

Interesting idea, you did well, I may consider it. You mentioned a worn yoke too. Did you use the original yoke and just change the bushing and seal? I thought and was hoping that the bushing wears and the yoke stays ok unless the bushing was toasted. I have heard a rattle that appears to be coming from that area during high rpms for years, but never figured out what is was, now I am thinking that is the noise. I have this car for 32 yrs and when I did the motor back then, I just changed the trans oil and reinstalled. So you have well over 200k, that is great. Maybe I should use this as an excuse to do a general rebuild like you did. Did you do it yourself? what was the rough cost in parts? was it difficult? thanks
Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Do a search for Bushing and Seal Remover Tool and a wide variety of these types of tools will pop up. From relatively inexpensive to expensive! I tried looking for the tool on Snap-On's web site and I could not find the above tool.

You can try with your local transmission repair shop (AAMCO?) and see if they have the tool. They may lend or rent it to you.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-01-2017, 09:13 PM
rebel542
Instructor

I did do the rebuild myself. If memory serves i spent around 220 in parts. That was bearings, gaskets ,brass rings and new sliders. Also my yoke was badly worn and I did have to replace it but that was back when i knocked the old bushing in the tranny.

Last edited by rebel542; 01-01-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quick Reply: Can you change a muncie tail shaft bushing while the trans is still in the car?