C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes another door handle ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 PM
psicoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes another door handle ?

Tried doing a search for this answer and may have given up too soon as this is not unique to me. I am unable to open the door using the door handle from the outside. I looked and saw clearly the rod is attached and just misses activating the door latch. Misses by about 1/8”. Can this be adjusted in any way? Or any thoughts how to get this to work?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Vette

Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM
psicoli
Intermediate

Thanks for these photos. All seems to be intact as you have illustrated. I was not aware the rod had threads. Can those threads be in place to adjust? The rod is attached and has movement just not pulling up the part it is attached to so it engages the latch. What does your yellow line represent, not certain what that is indicating. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

(quietly)
Sounds like the rod needs to be adjusted.
The fitting is adjusted and you keep going and testing the latch until it opens reliably (use a screwdriver to trip the latch not shut the door obviously) then the "rest" position is wherever it is, usually slightly activating the latch lever rather than fitting in with the lever in the full rest position like you might think it should.

If nothing else, this guy has a good sense of humor (when it comes to how many hands it takes to do the latch)

M
The following 2 users liked this post by Mooser:
Hamerdown (07-09-2018), psicoli (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Opps, looks like you've got it. The threaded rod area is the adjustment you need.
Special clip holds it in, check that video series, I think he shows it in the second one.
That rod on Rvzio yellow is for the door key lock to engage.
M
Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you can not get the door to open using the inner door handle or the outer door handle, most of the time, it can be opened by depressing this lever (red arrow pointing at) on the latch assembly. (this is the driver's door with the door panel removed)

The only trick is how to depress this lever. With the window down, you should be able to to look down into the door and with a flashlight see the lever. Using a long shaft, flat-bladed screwdriver, slide the screwdriver down from the window opening and place the blade on the lever. With the handle sticking out of the door, and while holding the screwdriver steady, strike the handle with the palm of you hand, The door latch should release. Once you've done this a few times, it really is quite easy to do.

Once these latches get gummed up with decades old grease and any dirt at all they become very difficult to operate. I've discovered over the years that the best way to correct the problem is to remove the latch assembly (of course the door must be opened and the door panel removed) from the door and thoroughly clean the dirt and old grease from the latch assembly. At this point, the operation of the latch should become very easy and clear to you. Once you thoroughly understand how it operates, lube the latch with some white lithium grease and reinstall it.

Reinstall all of the linkage and adjust it to remove as much slack from the linkage as possible.This will insure that any movement of the handles (inner and/or outer) will have the desired effect of releasing the latch.

Here is another picture of the door latch assembly (passenger side) someone posted a while back and labeled, that may help orient you to the operation of the latch assembly.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following 2 users liked this post by GUSTO14:
Hamerdown (07-09-2018), psicoli (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:22 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Just a fyi, in rvzio's 2nd pic there should be a clip at the top of the rod to hold it in place. Don't know if you are going to only adjust the barrel or take the handle out but might want to check if you remove the handle. Vendors sell it.

The following users liked this post:
psicoli (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by karol
Just a fyi, in rvzio's 2nd pic there should be a clip at the top of the rod to hold it in place. Don't know if you are going to only adjust the barrel or take the handle out but might want to check if you remove the handle. Vendors sell it.

This is what happened when I couldn't open my drivers door once. I found the clip laying in the bottom of the door.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Hamerdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good grief the person that engineered this should have been slapped!
The ONLY fun thing about owning a Vette is driving it...because NOTHING on it is easy to work on....and I've owned my 81 since new.
At times and how things are designed > > > I rather stick my hands into a Lion's mouth.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 PM
psicoli
Intermediate

Thanks for this great info. I can now open the door from the outside. Lol. Some great insight here on this forum.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

FYI, years ago when repainting the car I removed the exterior door locks, and also the ***** inside, it's a convertible....why lock it??? EH???

Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

While we are in the area.....

I have an issue with the door lock.

I can lock and unlock the door easily with the key, while the door is open
however
The key feels like it will break off if I try to lock the door, with the door closed.
The key will unlock the door, no problem either way, just locking is the issue.

What gives?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Try opening the door, trip the door latch with a 3/8 extension or screwdriver or something do the latch thinks it's closed and then try lock/unlock with the key.
If it works OK then the door latch (actually the post) must be putting the latch under pressure when it's closed and that's what's causing the issue. and might need to be adjusted or have the real cause (like worn hinge bushing) found.
Anyway, start there
HIH
M
Fredtoo (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Originally Posted by Mooser
Try opening the door, trip the door latch with a 3/8 extension or screwdriver or something do the latch thinks it's closed and then try lock/unlock with the key.
If it works OK then the door latch (actually the post) must be putting the latch under pressure when it's closed and that's what's causing the issue. and might need to be adjusted or have the real cause (like worn hinge bushing) found.
Anyway, start there
HIH
M

Thanks for the test info.

We tested it with the door open, but the latch "triggered"

If gives the same effect that it does with the door closed, or maybe just a little bit better.

I was able to lock the door with the latch closed, it take more force (torque) on the key than I think it should, and then "clicks" over and locks.
I can close the door, and get the same results.

Suggestions?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Maybe best to start a new thread without bunching this one up.
1.. What year is your car
2.. does it do the same thing with the inside **** as with the key?

M
Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Maybe best to start a new thread without bunching this one up.
1.. What year is your car
2.. does it do the same thing with the inside **** as with the key?

M
It's a 72 coupe.
The action of the **** mirrors that of the key, both door open and closed.
When the door is closed, it makes a 'ting" noise when it moves past the point of resistance, and finally locks.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Something is definitely bound up inside, since it only happens when the latch is engaged I'd say it's in the latch rather than the link rods or key cylinder.
The latch is a complex mechanism with a ton of moving parts but nothing adjustable inside so likely something like one of the clips that hold the rods on or ??? might have fell off and jammed in there. If it did the same thing when the latch wasn't tripped you might be looking at a rod bent or partly off but not if it's ok without latch and hard with the latch.

One more thing to try, pull on the door open (inside or out) slightly and try the key bit and keep pulling the door open handle a little more and try again. If I recall correctly, there might be something that interferes with the key while the door handle is being used. Maybe you're lucky and the handle link rods need to be moved a couple of turns to take pressure off the lock (that would be different with the latch tripped or not so it's possible)
M
Fredtoo (07-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Yes another door handle ?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Something is definitely bound up inside, since it only happens when the latch is engaged I'd say it's in the latch rather than the link rods or key cylinder.
The latch is a complex mechanism with a ton of moving parts but nothing adjustable inside so likely something like one of the clips that hold the rods on or ??? might have fell off and jammed in there. If it did the same thing when the latch wasn't tripped you might be looking at a rod bent or partly off but not if it's ok without latch and hard with the latch.

One more thing to try, pull on the door open (inside or out) slightly and try the key bit and keep pulling the door open handle a little more and try again. If I recall correctly, there might be something that interferes with the key while the door handle is being used. Maybe you're lucky and the handle link rods need to be moved a couple of turns to take pressure off the lock (that would be different with the latch tripped or not so it's possible)
M
I'll git that one a shot tomorrow.
Thanks for all the ideas!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
I'll git that one a shot tomorrow.
Thanks for all the ideas!

This 3/8 hole 2 inches above the door latch allows me to slip a small screwdriver in and pop the latch open. It’s a small tab that releases the latch.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If this is a new problem that popped up with no work being done , I have found in most cases it’s dirt jamming up the latch. Removing the latch and cleaning thoroughly is the best but spraying the latch with wd40 and using compressed air works well. Solvents work faster but you must be careful of your paint. As it drips out the bottom of the door.

Quick Reply: Yes another door handle ?