C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Reinstalling Gas Tank- Pictures?

Old 08-18-2018, 12:31 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Help Reinstalling Gas Tank- Pictures?

I've been avoiding it for quite a while, but today is finally time to reinstall my gas tank after my EFI fuel pump conversion.

I forgot which way the cross member and the straps go together and exactly where the anti-squeak pads go.

Can anyone share some descriptions or pictures real quick? I'm going to go start hunting. I will actually have a second person helping for once, which is a bonus.

Adam
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I found some pictures of the strap going into the cross member in a 77; I'm not not clear if it's the same as the 79. Here's the pictures for a 77: https://www.thoughtco.com/refreshing...as-tank-916186

The cross member has a small slit and a large slit on my 79; I was expecting it to go through both slits but in the picture in the article above that is NOT the case...
I just remembered I have an AIM; going to check the AIM.

Adam
Old 08-18-2018, 01:10 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

And if anyone knows the size of the bolts for the cross member, I seem to have misplaced mine... UGH!

Adam
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Well, I had to install it twice and I still think it was slightly wrong, but good enough, anyway.

I put the anti squeak pads on the rear frame section and the cross member (pretty sure this is right).
-The picture from the AIM that shows how the tank strap is supposed to go through the cross member I think is slightly misleading and the picture that I found of a 1977 cross member makes me think that they're different on the 79s. The picture in the AIM shows the strap going under the whole cross member and then coming staight up and over the tank in the front from there, but I think it's actually supposed to go through the large hole - this torqued the whole cross member up in the front which made it pretty hard to get the cross member bolts on.

The first time we tried to install it the tank's "ears" weren't up over the rear cross member enough because we installed the rear strap bolts at the very beginning after we tightened it down it was obvious that the tank wasn't where it should be and we got to start all over again with the rear of the tank up on the rear frame rails, then we installed the cross member.

Order is important and getting that strap right through the cross member is probably the 2nd most important part, it would seem.

I jacked the rear end way up so that I could fit the tank in with the exhaust hanging down but not fully removed -so that IS doable, in case anyone wondered.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Help Reinstalling Gas Tank- Pictures?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Reinstalling Gas Tank- Pictures?