A/C Compressor Mount with Headers??? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

A/C Compressor Mount with Headers???

Old 07-13-2018, 05:00 PM
C3FIXER

Default A/C Compressor Mount with Headers???

I have a '77 L82 4 speed with A/C , recently purchased. The previous owner never used the A/C for 12 yrs or more. I am planning to buy the required compnonents from ZIP and hopefully bring it back to life. The exhaust system is in need of replacement so I am thinking might as well put on some quality headers, don't have to be long tube. Does it make more sense to install the new exhaust first and will the current compressor bracket work or do I go a different direction. Thanks!!!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C3FIXER
I have a '77 L82 4 speed with A/C , recently purchased. The previous owner never used the A/C for 12 yrs or more. I am planning to buy the required compnonents from ZIP and hopefully bring it back to life. The exhaust system is in need of replacement so I am thinking might as well put on some quality headers, don't have to be long tube. Does it make more sense to install the new exhaust first and will the current compressor bracket work or do I go a different direction. Thanks!!!
Depending on the headers that you choose you will need a new bracket. The factory bracket will not work in most cases. The header manufacturer should have a bracket to fit with their specific headers.

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Rat For This Useful Post:
C3FIXER (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 AM
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

If you have to replace most of the A/C parts, you should seriously think about getting an R-134a conversion kit. That will include a new Senden compressor, new filter/drier and replacement for the POA valve gizmo. It also comes with a new mount system that will work with headers (I believe). Give Classic Auto Air a look (website). The Senden compressor is much lighter and MUCH more efficient than that R-6 "monster". Go stock if you need to; otherwise, convert to modern A/C system. Most of the original A/C stuff can be reused. It just needs to be flushed out well and recharged with R-134a refrigerant.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7T1vette For This Useful Post:
C3FIXER (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:24 AM
REELAV8R
CF Senior Member

Your 77 should have the R4 compressor not the long R6. When I put my headers on all I had to do was use a piece of threaded rod in the manifold hole that connected to the ac bracket. Keep the spacer that is there as you will need it too. 3/8” rod and nuts should be all you’ll need.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 PM
KapsSA
CF Senior Member

Old 07-14-2018, 04:20 PM
KapsSA
CF Senior Member

A spacer the length of the difference in thickness between the manifold and the header flange(or a stack of washers)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Rods 79

Originally Posted by C3FIXER View Post

My Patriot Shorty headers came with this spacer, this spacer is available at CorvetteCentral (SKU #453092 for 77' - 82')

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Mount with Headers???

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: