C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused on wiper door

Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM
walt4805
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused on wiper door

Last week the wiper door quit working. Under the dash the vacuum solenoid was really hot. I replaced it. The new one still gets hot too. When I unhooked the wires the door opened and would not close, then finally it did. I have vacuum to the override but the override won't operate the door either. I hooked the two vacuum lines together and still no door operation, even with the override switch. Anyone help? Is it electrical which makes the solenoid hot? Can you not bypass that like I did ? The actuator that pushes the rod into the wiper cell pops when it has vacuum and relaxes when you shut the car off. I down load the schematics but still lost.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What year is your car????

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB
Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 AM
walt4805
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks. Checking the relay today.

appreciate it tremendously
Originally Posted by DUB
What year is your car????
Originally Posted by DUB

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB

Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.
Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Mines Cooler

Originally Posted by theandies
Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.
Mines cooler....literally. Mine has more airflow to A pillar cowl vents! Less restriction than the mickey mouse fancy all for nothing secret wiper door mechanism. Anyways....I am just joking around.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:12 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

To the OP...

If the linkage binding during open/close?

Get notified of new replies

To confused on wiper door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: confused on wiper door