confused on wiper door - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

confused on wiper door

Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM
walt4805

Default confused on wiper door

Last week the wiper door quit working. Under the dash the vacuum solenoid was really hot. I replaced it. The new one still gets hot too. When I unhooked the wires the door opened and would not close, then finally it did. I have vacuum to the override but the override won't operate the door either. I hooked the two vacuum lines together and still no door operation, even with the override switch. Anyone help? Is it electrical which makes the solenoid hot? Can you not bypass that like I did ? The actuator that pushes the rod into the wiper cell pops when it has vacuum and relaxes when you shut the car off. I down load the schematics but still lost.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 PM
iwasmenowhesgone
CF Senior Member

The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,850 Posts

What year is your car????

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB
Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 AM
walt4805

Default Thanks. Checking the relay today.

appreciate it tremendously
Originally Posted by DUB View Post
What year is your car????
Originally Posted by DUB View Post

You CAN by-pass the solenoid behind your tach....but by doing this...to open and close the wiper door you would ALWAYS need to use the vacuum override switch under the steering column.

With the engine running....you MUST have vacuum on the small hose that goes to your actuator relay. in order to keep the door closed.

To open the wiper door....the vacuum to the small hose is shut off and thus no vacuum goes to it and it will raises the wiper door. And this is assuming that all otehr vacuum connections/components are good.

AS for why the solenoid is heating up. .I can not say due to not having any more important information from you other than you saying it gets hot.

DUB

Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 PM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone View Post
The wiper door on my 77 works perfect every time.
Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:05 PM
iwasmenowhesgone
CF Senior Member

Default Mines Cooler

Originally Posted by theandies View Post
Yes it does but it's not as cool as my '71 wiper door and it works perfect every time too.
Mines cooler....literally. Mine has more airflow to A pillar cowl vents! Less restriction than the mickey mouse fancy all for nothing secret wiper door mechanism. Anyways....I am just joking around.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:12 PM
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

To the OP...

If the linkage binding during open/close?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: confused on wiper door

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: