C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Overflow since the engine rebuild. 78 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:01 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Stant was the manufacturer for the OEM radiator, gas and other caps for many GM cars including our C3 Corvettes.
They are still in business and you can find the proper caps for your year model on line on their website.
Napa auto parts also sell the Stant line of caps on line and in their stores.
They are still top quality caps.
Just an FYI.
I checked the NAPA site and the ones listed for the 78 were made by MotoRad. I didn't see any Stant listed.
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (07-17-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Update:

I got a new AC Delco RC27 15 lb radiator cap and installed it yesterday. Radiator was full to the top but had to fill the reservoir to the "cool" mark.

Drove it this afternoon for about 30 minutes with the AC and it got to 200 degrees several times.

When I got home and turned off the engine. The reservoir was filled to the "hot" line. It took 10-15 minutes for the anti-freeze in the reservoir to stop bubbling.

It seems to me that the anti-freeze is boiling? Is that possible with a 50/50 mix?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Let us digress.
You are running 200* with the A/C on, in July, in Texas.
You are no longer loosing coolant.
You have the correct lbs of pressure Rad ap.
Your reservoir tank stays around full.
Pure water boils at 212*. You are below that. You have a coolant mix that raises the boiling point.

Your main concern now is, the bubbling in the overflow reservoir tank.
What is the condition of the rubber hose (overflow line) from the Rad filler neck to the reservoir tank?
The rez tank has a plastic cap. Is there a short section of hose from that cap, down into the rez tank?
Off of the rez tanks plastic cap, is there another rubber hose that goes down towards the ground in the event the rez tank overflows?
What are the conditions of those hoses? Are any of them plugged, cracked, deformed?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Let us digress.
You are running 200* with the A/C on, in July, in Texas.
You are no longer loosing coolant.
You have the correct lbs of pressure Rad ap.
Your reservoir tank stays around full.
Pure water boils at 212*. You are below that. You have a coolant mix that raises the boiling point.

Your main concern now is, the bubbling in the overflow reservoir tank.
What is the condition of the rubber hose (overflow line) from the Rad filler neck to the reservoir tank?
The rez tank has a plastic cap. Is there a short section of hose from that cap, down into the rez tank?
Off of the rez tanks plastic cap, is there another rubber hose that goes down towards the ground in the event the rez tank overflows?
What are the conditions of those hoses? Are any of them plugged, cracked, deformed?
The rubber return line is in good shape and I see not leaks between the radiator and rez tank.

There are no other lines to the rez tank.

I did put a new rez tank cap on the tank that had a gasket in it that will let air in and out but also looks like it will separate liquid from air.

All hoses are in good shape. No plugged, cracked or deformed.

I did have an issue with the thermostat today where it hung for a few seconds at 220 before going back to 160.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I did have an issue with the thermostat today where it hung for a few seconds at 220 before going back to 160.
This is a classic sign of air trapped in the system^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
This is a classic sign of air trapped in the system^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
My thoughts too.

Could the thermostat cause any of this?

I have never ever had this issue with the car before. They did change out the thermostat this time for a new one.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Make sure you have no air in the block. If there's a sensor or plug in the crossover passage at the front of the intake, pull that. If not, pull the heater hose that's attached to the crossover passage off. Fill the radiator with coolant until it runs out the hole you've opened in the crossover passage. Plug the "bleed" hole (or reconnect the hose to it) and top up any more if you can at the radiator.

If it's only bubbling when you shut down, that still points to a bad cap. Are you certain you have a stock (ish) radiator and cap? It's the larger style cap, right? A pic of the neck where the cap fits might help with some debugging here.

EDIT: A pic of the overflow tank would also be somewhat useful.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 07-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

What type of water pump is on the car? Certain High Flow water pumps like my STewart aluminum Stage 2 pump requires a thermostat with 2-3 ,1/8 inch holes drilled in the base of the thermostat housing to allow coolant by pass with this type of pump. Also, any thermostat should have 1-2 1/8-1/16th inch holes in the base to allow for AIR pockets to not get trapped at the thermostat when closed.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 07-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:01 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Make sure you have no air in the block. If there's a sensor or plug in the crossover passage at the front of the intake, pull that. If not, pull the heater hose that's attached to the crossover passage off. Fill the radiator with coolant until it runs out the hole you've opened in the crossover passage. Plug the "bleed" hole (or reconnect the hose to it) and top up any more if you can at the radiator.

If it's only bubbling when you shut down, that still points to a bad cap. Are you certain you have a stock (ish) radiator and cap? It's the larger style cap, right? A pic of the neck where the cap fits might help with some debugging here.
The cap fit tight onto the radiator neck. But the old one did too.

It just seems like the reservoir is where it is boiling. I guess there could be air getting through the cap to the reservoir.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
What type of water pump is on the car? Certain High Flow water pumps like my STewart aluminum Stage 2 pump requires a thermostat with 2-3 ,1/8 inch holes drilled in the base of the thermostat housing to allow coolant by pass with this type of pump. Also, any thermostat should have 1-2 1/8-1/16th inch holes in the base to allow for AIR pockets to not get trapped at the thermostat when closed.
It is the factory style replacement pump. It was on the original rebuild too. I had no gurgling in the reservoir.

I have had this gurgling since the new rebuild which the only difference is the aluminum heads on the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Pull the thermostat and drill 1-2 1/8" holes in it.
Purge the system of air as it has been pointed out throughout the thread.
Start the car and watch the water flow through the radiator to insure you have good flow, replace the cap and go for a drive.
The boiling water you see in the reservoir is boiling in the system and spewing into the reservoir tank.
Post pictures and maybe a short video.
Find out the part numbers for your heads, the water pump and the head gaskets your builder used to determine the right parts were used.
OEM fan and clutch?
Did you check the fan clutch?
It could even be a small obstruction dropped into a water jacket during assembly and is blocking the flow.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Pull the thermostat and drill 1-2 1/8" holes in it.
Purge the system of air as it has been pointed out throughout the thread.
Start the car and watch the water flow through the radiator to insure you have good flow, replace the cap and go for a drive.
The boiling water you see in the reservoir is boiling in the system and spewing into the reservoir tank.
Post pictures and maybe a short video.
Find out the part numbers for your heads, the water pump and the head gaskets your builder used to determine the right parts were used.
OEM fan and clutch?
Did you check the fan clutch?
It could even be a small obstruction dropped into a water jacket during assembly and is blocking the flow.
Thanks for the ideas. Yes it is the OEM Fan/clutch. Its working because I can here he roar when it kicks in.

Quick Reply: Radiator Overflow since the engine rebuild. 78 Vette