C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 L36 ignition shielding with MSD distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 PM
drpew
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 L36 ignition shielding with MSD distributor

Hey everyone,
I’m hoping that someone can help me resolve an issue that I am having fitting the ignition shielding over my MSD distributor. The issue is that the vacuum can and the tachometer drive gear are configured differently on the MSD unit compared to factory distributors. Presently, the tachometer cable is not kinked and the engine runs great, but the vacuum can is in the way of the shielding. Positioning the vacuum canister to accommodate the shielding creates too sharp of an angle to hook up to tach cable.

Otherwise I am pleased with the MSD unit and would prefer to keep it. I’d love to hear feedback from anyone that has found a solution to this problem.

​​​​​​​thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

why are you installing the shielding, do you listen to AM radio?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:26 PM
drpew
7th Gear

I like the appearance and was hoping to preserve that look.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:11 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to how the MSD distributors tach drive fitting and vacuum advance pod are not 'clocked' the same as the GM distributor.

Getting the vacuum pod oriented the way it needs to be to work is what I do...then I deal with the issue of getting the tach cable to connect without kinking.

I often times use one of those 90 degree fittings for a speedometer/tach cable that are available.

DUB
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM
drpew
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
Due to how the MSD distributors tach drive fitting and vacuum advance pod are not 'clocked' the same as the GM distributor.

Getting the vacuum pod oriented the way it needs to be to work is what I do...then I deal with the issue of getting the tach cable to connect without kinking.

I often times use one of those 90 degree fittings for a speedometer/tach cable that are available.

DUB
Thank you DUB for the informative and helpful reply. I’ll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 L36 ignition shielding with MSD distributor

Quick Reply: 1968 L36 ignition shielding with MSD distributor