C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission just ......STB!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Automatic Transmission just ......STB!!

Soooooo........looks like I have some decsions to make about what to do next.

New Motor clearly too much for the standard Turbo 350 or at least it was too much for my old gear box........I'm running a VERY HEALTHY 450+ horsepower in a 383 SBC.

30 years ago I'd have just driven it to local transmission shop and said, "Call me when it's done"

I'm not sure a rebuild at a local shop is my best path today though......

Today it seems like there are many ways to go besides just a standard rebuild and because I'm dealing with a whole lot more torque and Horsepower than before I'm wondering what my best route is. This car sees so very few miles a year.......I'd consider an overdrive but would rather spend the extra $ on a tougher 3 speed that can hold up.

Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Last edited by Krystal; 07-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Th350's can be built stout for not a lot of money. I'm pushing close to 700 hp on nitrous through one I had built by a local shop for $1000. Around 50 passes on it pulling low 1.40's 60 foot times.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Considering that now you may need a new torque converter (to prevent ruining a freshly rebuilt transmission) along with heavy duty clutches and planetary gears, you might want to consider an exchange in case some of the machined faces in the original case are now worn too thin to maintain proper end play. (That is info I learned from checking into rebuilt A.T.s).
You could disassemble the unit yourself and check the wear areas to see if they are worn past rebuild tolerances. If the case is rebuildable you could rebuild it yourself with a step-by-step instruction book....

The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I'm running my TH-400 for now and saving my money for my TKO-600 conversion.
I hope to have the funds to purchase the SST conversion kit by the end of the year.
I know my 496 would destroy an auto overdrive so I'm swapping to manual.
Save your pennies and get what you want, even though, like you, I'll only be driving it limited miles every year.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the th350 an be built well enough to live behind your 383.
I went from a th350 to a 700r4 thinking I'd save gas money,...ended up blowing two 700r4s in a year behind my 406. Went back to a th400 this time. Been in running at least ten years with zero problems.

Ask around locally to see if you can find a performance oriented trans shop. When I went looking and mentioned I had 540 horsepower most local shops backed out of doing the work, one said he'd do it, but no warranty.
So I ended up calling Rossler's and having them build it. He builds for top fuel cars and is worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 07-19-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

$1375 TH350 rated for 775hp

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-311005
Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
That's the one.......just ordered it on Friday along with converter. Truck Freight from Texas so.......probably here by the end of the week at best.

I called TCI directly.....they suggested this very same unit. Funny thing though......Summit's pricing was actually better on it than the Manufacturer itself. So I ordered from them . I'll be using a 2400RPM stall Converter. Fingers crossed we'll have it by the end of the week and maybe all put back together within the week after. My husband won't install it.......says he doesn't want to wrestle with it. without the benifi of a "lift"......he's removed the exhaust and everything in the way already........I'll be driving it with open headers to the shop 3 miles down the road and then back home the same way......with only 1st and 2nd gear (3rd is all done completely GONE).........loud ride no doubt. Hopefully it's a trouble free R&R......the guy we know down there tells me it's 2 hours for him if everything is out of the way. We'll see.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Two hours sounds about right for a shop to R&R a TH-350.
Ive heard good things about the TCI's and You can't beat Summit Racing for their customer service and pricing.
Let us know how the new trans goes and enjoy.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Even a stock TH350 with a fresh rebuild and good clutches/bands will easily handle 450-500hp. Add a good shift kit as well.

Make sure to use a new converter and new trans cooler. You’ll be good to go.

i had a stock TH350 running 10.80-11.00s for years in one of my other cars years ago and it never failed.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

if your wanting the gearing, PATC Mega Raptor 700r4 is your best bet for OD, I love mine, but they aren't cheap.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Even a stock TH350 with a fresh rebuild and good clutches/bands will easily handle 450-500hp. Add a good shift kit as well.

Make sure to use a new converter and new trans cooler. You’ll be good to go.

i had a stock TH350 running 10.80-11.00s for years in one of my other cars years ago and it never failed.
The Converter will be new.......it's a shame really. The one I'm getting is the exact same one I've got in the transmission I'm having removed. It's got all of about 300 miles on it........but as you already know.......who can trust that bits and pieces of the broken transmission are all in the filter? So.......it's TRASH now too. (On the flip side......it's all anecdotal but the answer to the question, "how many miles can you get out of an older TH350 subjected to 450HP and few HARD LAUNCHES?"........appears to be, "Not many at all!"

I won't do a shift kit until I've lived with the new set up long enough to know how it works "as is".......certainly not within the 90 day warranty. It's not at all hard to imagine that'd be a warranty breaker. 3 months isn't long to wait yet it is a reasonable period within which a problem with build quality should show up if it exists.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
That's the one.......just ordered it on Friday along with converter. Truck Freight from Texas so.......probably here by the end of the week at best.

I called TCI directly.....they suggested this very same unit. Funny thing though......Summit's pricing was actually better on it than the Manufacturer itself. So I ordered from them . I'll be using a 2400RPM stall Converter. Fingers crossed we'll have it by the end of the week and maybe all put back together within the week after. My husband won't install it.......says he doesn't want to wrestle with it. without the benifi of a "lift"......he's removed the exhaust and everything in the way already........I'll be driving it with open headers to the shop 3 miles down the road and then back home the same way......with only 1st and 2nd gear (3rd is all done completely GONE).........loud ride no doubt. Hopefully it's a trouble free R&R......the guy we know down there tells me it's 2 hours for him if everything is out of the way. We'll see.
Please post an update of how it works out. I am looking at that trans also.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 PM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I really struggled with TCI with a 700 R4 in my pickup. The first one knocked out thrust bearings in the warranty period. Good news it was warranted, bad new they charged me an additional $500 shipping and handling. They will not allow anyone locally to service the trans under warranty. You have to ship it back. The second trans would not shift out of low..... They wanted another $500. Summit racing stood behind the trans and got my money back minus the extra $500 shipping. Rebuilt the original myself and am running that one now. . Check the warranty. Check what you have to do if it fails. .You did the right thing by buying it through Summit. They were really helpful.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make double sure the shop either flushes or (best option) replaces the cooler. Any trash that gets by the filter- and that's a lot of it- can and does get trapped in the cooler only to show up later, both killing your new trans and voiding the warranty.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:50 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by ConnecticutJunkman
Please post an update of how it works out. I am looking at that trans also.
Will do! It's taken a full week to get it here from Texas.........I just got the call from UPS today that it'll be delivered tomorrow. I have an appointment first thing Monday morning to put it in.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by TimAT
Make double sure the shop either flushes or (best option) replaces the cooler. Any trash that gets by the filter- and that's a lot of it- can and does get trapped in the cooler only to show up later, both killing your new trans and voiding the warranty.
Yeah.....I'm way ahead of you on this one......I'm actually replacing the cooler and flushing the transmission lines and radiator is on the list of things to do already.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Yeah.....I'm way ahead of you on this one......I'm actually replacing the cooler and flushing the transmission lines and radiator is on the list of things to do already.
So here is "update #1":

Got everything together.....only not included in this shot is a new Transmission cooler.....it's already installed in the car but not yet hooked up. The ride to the shop would only serve to fill it with what ever might be floating in the toasted transmission fluid of the current transmission. Tomorrow morning I'll drop it off to be put in. Barring problems I should have a first impression of things later in the day,

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Transmission just ......STB!!

Old 07-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Krystal
Race Director

They pack it all in pretty tight and securely.....gotta like that,

Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Krystal
Race Director

For anyone wondering which transmission we're doing here........this is the order number from TCI. It's the 6 inch tail shaft and it's supposed to be good for well over 700HP..........it should do the job for my 455HP 383. We'll see,,,,,,fingers crossed!

The following 2 users liked this post by Krystal:
doorgunner (07-29-2018), OldCarBum (07-30-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Ok, so I've had a couple of days to drive a bit (just a bit really it's HOT and HUMID here over the last 2 days and I've got no A/C in the old Corvette).........but I have got some first impressions for anyone interested in the TCI Super Street Fighter......It works and it doesn't leak.......(that's got to be the biggest win early on)

It tight shifting but not crazy hard shifts, really only a little more so than you might expect from a standard issue new Automatic in any car.

I went with the same stall speed and manufacturer of the torque converter I'd used previously so that part isn't part of the variation from before. Over all I'm pretty happy. I wasn't looking for that super hard "shift kit" type chirp of the tires between gears and this trasmission doesn't deliver it. If you want that you'll still have to go with a "kit".

The model number is one to remember........it's an exact fit with no surprises or modification of anything required. Only your dipstick tube will need to be transferred from your current transmission. The advertised/promised strength is supposed to give you room for a 700+ HP engine........more than enough for my 455HP dyno'd HP 383.

Read comments on Summit's site and you'll hear some horror stories about leaks but TCI has been around for as long as I can remember.......if those stories were actually "typical" experiences it'd be pretty hard to imagine the company would have lasted this long or gotten this BIG.

So here it is one more time. It works EXACTLY as promised. It fits and is an exact bolt it without modifications required and it doesn't leak.........a WIN for sure in so far as I can see.

Last edited by Krystal; 08-01-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission just ......STB!!