C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There a Trick to Index Coil Spring into Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Is There a Trick to Index Coil Spring into Frame?

I'm doing this all by myself. I've been beating my brains out for the last day and a half. I did put a piece of masking tape on the end of the coil spring to make it easier to see the end of the spring at the index hole in the frame. Anybody have ideas?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972
I'm doing this all by myself. I've been beating my brains out for the last day and a half. I did put a piece of masking tape on the end of the coil spring to make it easier to see the end of the spring at the index hole in the frame. Anybody have ideas?
When I installed mine, I basically just took a flat blade screwdriver large enough to fit into the indexing hole and butted up the end of the coil spring up to the tip of the screwdriver. The screwdriver also helped to keep the end of the spring from rotating or pushing past the indexing hole while I jacked up the lower a-arm to seat the bottom part of the coil spring and to secure the a-arm to the spindle. As for the bottom end of the coil spring, I just let it end up wherever it ended up. The springs were from VB&P and were much shorter than the factory springs, so pretty much knew they wouldn't end up seated in the lower a-arm spring pocket like the original spring did. Well hope this helps some...

The following users liked this post:
sunflower 1972 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 AM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Tape the jaws of an adjustable pipe wrench for protection and hook it between and over one of the spring coils. Pull or push on the handle to rotate the spring into position.
The following users liked this post:
sunflower 1972 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Originally Posted by spdrcr29
When I installed mine, I basically just took a flat blade screwdriver large enough to fit into the indexing hole and butted up the end of the coil spring up to the tip of the screwdriver. The screwdriver also helped to keep the end of the spring from rotating or pushing past the indexing hole while I jacked up the lower a-arm to seat the bottom part of the coil spring and to secure the a-arm to the spindle. As for the bottom end of the coil spring, I just let it end up wherever it ended up. The springs were from VB&P and were much shorter than the factory springs, so pretty much knew they wouldn't end up seated in the lower a-arm spring pocket like the original spring did. Well hope this helps some...

That did it! I got the spring indexed all by myself! Thanks again, guys.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:27 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972
That did it! I got the spring indexed all by myself! Thanks again, guys.
Awesome! Glad you got it taken care of!

Get notified of new replies

To Is There a Trick to Index Coil Spring into Frame?

Quick Reply: Is There a Trick to Index Coil Spring into Frame?