C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orphan wire question

Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Orphan wire question

Can someone please tell what this Orange disconnected wire is? It's always hot and I'm guessing it might be security system. If it is...where can I kill the power to it at? 1978 C3 Automatic

Thanks in advance!
Tony

Last edited by tviscomi; 07-23-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Yes, I believe it goes to the alarm horn. Orange wires are just as you describe--always hot with +12V. Unlike red wires orange wires are fused. Most if not all of the orange wires get their power from the ACC fuse. There's no way to cut the power to that wire only except removing it from the wiring harness. If that is the alarm horn power it goes directly to the big electrical connector through the firewall (the "fusebox connector") in my '79. Other years may well be different. Regardless you're probably best off to just leave it alone and tape it in a way that it's utterly impossible for the contact to touch ground.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Yes, I believe it goes to the alarm horn. Orange wires are just as you describe--always hot with +12V. Unlike red wires orange wires are fused. Most if not all of the orange wires get their power from the ACC fuse. There's no way to cut the power to that wire only except removing it from the wiring harness. If that is the alarm horn power it goes directly to the big electrical connector through the firewall (the "fusebox connector") in my '79. Other years may well be different. Regardless you're probably best off to just leave it alone and tape it in a way that it's utterly impossible for the contact to touch ground.
Thanks...I'm just wondering if that's (security) what is causing the parasitic drain on my battery. I am also having other issues with I detailed in another thread..

Last edited by tviscomi; 07-23-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The alarm system in 79s is VERY common for causing a parasitic drain! Typically something (often the switch attached to the driver's door key cylinder) fails causing the alarm to sound constantly. The simple "fix" then is to disconnect the alarm horn. The problem is that the alarm relay remains energized and drains the battery. The alarm relay is in the center console just ahead of the shifter. Look for the connector with lots of blue and yellow wires. Pull it off the relay and your problem will likely be solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Orphan wire question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orphan wire question