Mystery fuse panel add-on - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Mystery fuse panel add-on

Old 07-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

Default Mystery fuse panel add-on

I know some will cringe at this mod. I really like the look of the 68 with 4 tail lights. So on my recently purchased 80 Vette when I had to replaced a faulty tail light socket I went ahead and bought 3 more. after some non- invasive splicing and and extra set of factory tail light lenses it looks great. However with 4 1157s installed the turn signals flashed twice as fast as normal. Not really hyper flash but noticeable. (Flashed normally if simply removed the extra bulb on each side.) I went to the local auto parts store. They suggested an electronic flasher but only had square flashers that would not fit the circular recess in the fuse panel. So I bought a heavy duty flasher and swapped it in. Problem solved. However when I removed the old flasher I noticed a resistor had been installed on the turn signal flasher. A big fat one ( Photo soon. I'm charging my phone to snap a pic) Because it worked fine without it and would have been a bitch to wedge back in there didn't re-install the resistor. I has been working fine without it but in the back of my mind I wonder why it might have been installed and whether or not I should put it back in. I have owned a 1970, 1979, and 1981 and none of them had an add-on resistor. Has anyone ever come across a resistor wedged into the flasher socket? Noticed a rapid flash condition when doing the 4 tail light mod?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Hammerhead Fred
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sharky II View Post
I know some will cringe at this mod. I really like the look of the 68 with 4 tail lights. So on my recently purchased 80 Vette when I had to replaced a faulty tail light socket I went ahead and bought 3 more. after some non- invasive splicing and and extra set of factory tail light lenses it looks great. However with 4 1157s installed the turn signals flashed twice as fast as normal. Not really hyper flash but noticeable. (Flashed normally if simply removed the extra bulb on each side.) I went to the local auto parts store. They suggested an electronic flasher but only had square flashers that would not fit the circular recess in the fuse panel. So I bought a heavy duty flasher and swapped it in. Problem solved. However when I removed the old flasher I noticed a resistor had been installed on the turn signal flasher. A big fat one ( Photo soon. I'm charging my phone to snap a pic) Because it worked fine without it and would have been a bitch to wedge back in there didn't re-install the resistor. I has been working fine without it but in the back of my mind I wonder why it might have been installed and whether or not I should put it back in. I have owned a 1970, 1979, and 1981 and none of them had an add-on resistor. Has anyone ever come across a resistor wedged into the flasher socket? Noticed a rapid flash condition when doing the 4 tail light mod?
More likely a capacitor than a resistor. Installed to prevent/suppress noise in your radio/speakers.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred View Post
More likely a capacitor than a resistor. Installed to prevent/suppress noise in your radio/speakers.
Here are a few photos.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Hammerhead Fred
CF Senior Member

Capacitor.
Only necessary if you get radio noise from your blinkers - probably not with modern radio.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

This is how the tail lights look. Not for those who like

back up lights. But it looks more like a Corvette to me now.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Hammerhead Fred
CF Senior Member

They make a led backup light bar that fits over your license place. Someone posted a photo of one on the forum recently.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

I'd like to see that. Thanks Hammerhead Fred
Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

Any tips on replacing the rear bumper? Flex fit fiber glass looks promising This ones a goner. I tempted to try straightening in using a heat gun and a flat piece of wood. Just to hold me over untill I cough up the cash for a new one.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Hammerhead Fred
CF Senior Member

See this thread about halfway down first page

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-a-thing.html
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM
7t9l82
CF Senior Member

I like the 4 lights, consider leds.I don't think there's much you can do with the spoiler.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Sharky II
CF Member

Well another Mystery. I took the side of the console off and I have 10 feet of wire bundle together. Why Idon't know. Maybe its Mon-ya-nah wire for sterio spkeakers. There is also a18 gauge red wire with a 10 gauge fuse in it that is spliced in for no logical reason. I need a new side panel rf the console Maybe they sell that 3/16th fiber board at Home Depot or Lowes . I coulld reuse the carpet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery fuse panel add-on

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: