C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Spicers or HD universals?

Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

You'll need to put it on the ground and get the suspension settled to check the ride height to determine if you need to change out the spring bolts..
Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been running 8 inch bolts for two decades with the 360 lb VB spring, so I already have the option to adjust what I have, then cut them off if I want. I just figured if I could get away with a shorter bolt from the start. I wouldn't have to crawl under with the Sawzall later. Not a big deal, but I have saved myself a lot of work by thinking ahead.....and asking questions on here.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=The Money Pit;1597649880]
I realize you may have posted this photo for posterity, but you didn't fill the Diff to the top at that angle, did you? If so, and now that it's in the car, I think you'll want to level the car and pull the filler plug and let it drain until fluid stops running out. That will be your proper fluid level. Again, if that's what you did already, disregard this post.

BTW your project looks great!

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 10-07-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

I know it has been quite a while since I started this , but this weekend I finally got it on the ground. Took a short ride around the block...open headers, but I was only trying to settle the spring a bit. As it sits the rear fender height is 29 1/2 inches to the garage floor, and it looks like 2 inches between the tire and fender lip. I did feel my bump stop hit once,....Pa roads suck.....so I replaced them with a 1 1/2 inch tall stop. Now it should be fine. I have 1 inch travel from normal ride height to contact with the stop, and at full bump still have an inch between the tire and fender. I think the half shaft will be pretty close to parallel at full bump. The eight inch spring bolts are adjusted almost all the way down, just 1/4 inch of thread showing under the nut.

One more warm weekend and the exhaust will be back on, and it'll be ready for spring cruising...……..unless I get the bug to pop the AFR 210 heads on first...…………..

Thanks to all for their input, PMs included. This is what forums are all about.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 12-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice unit!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plasticfreak
Nice unit!
Thanks,
Hard to believe I still haven't finished this...…...My step son bought a house so I was enlisted to finish his basement (drywall), and at the same time my step daughter bought a house and I was enlisted to build her a bar in the basement.....
This weekend……...maybe I'll get a chance to work on some of my own projects!

I got a chance to swap in the longer (10 inch) spring bolts and roll the car in the garage to settle the rear height. Exhaust is still off, so I am hoping this weekend to maybe get that on and take a spin to get a fine tune on the rear height. The fender sits right at 29 inches now, with aprox 1 1/2 inches over the tire. Halfshaft angle almost parallel to the ground which is ideal.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 05-30-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Spicers or HD universals?