C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spreader Bar

Old 07-28-2018, 01:57 PM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Spreader Bar

Anyone here used the Eckler brand spreader bar? It looks like their mounting bracket is adjustable but a little flimsy looking.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:29 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

spreader bars are not that common on street driven C3s.....are you going to autocross it?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:05 AM
Bhus
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This one? Part #: 25-294403-1
I got this on my `71, fits with original pulleys and mechanical fan.
Not sure it makes a big differense, maybe the car feels a bit more stable to handle.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Spreader bars are one of the best value upgrades you can do to any C3 Corvette since the frame in the front between the shock towers flexes greatly due to the lack of reinforcement in that area and front the engine cradle will sack over time in that section as well. Anyone who does not notice a tremendous difference with a speader bar install has either not installed the bar correctly and/OR it has not been tightened up/adjusted correctly. The spreader hear will make the chassis/suspension feel much more solid and connected, will improve handling through the suspension reaction time, and will make the ride less creaky etc to name just a few benefits.....

If you have an OEM fan and pulleys, I would highly recommend the speedirect one for about $125......
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Spreader bars are one of the best value upgrades you can do to any C3 Corvette since the frame in the front between the shock towers flexes greatly due to the lack of reinforcement in that area and front the engine cradle will sack over time in that section as well. Anyone who does not notice a tremendous difference with a speader bar install has either not installed the bar correctly and/OR it has not been tightened up/adjusted correctly. The spreader hear will make the chassis/suspension feel much more solid and connected, will improve handling through the suspension reaction time, and will make the ride less creaky etc to name just a few benefits.....

If you have an OEM fan and pulleys, I would highly recommend the speedirect one for about $125......
do you also see the difference on street driven c3s? or more for the auto cross environment? once I switched to the rack and pinion I was pretty happy with how everything handled
Old 07-29-2018, 10:24 AM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
spreader bars are not that common on street driven C3s.....are you going to autocross it?
No. My problem is that the shock towers have sprung inward and there is little camber adjustment left. I am hoping a spreader bar will improve this.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:29 AM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bhus
This one? Part #: 25-294403-1
I got this on my `71, fits with original pulleys and mechanical fan.
Not sure it makes a big differense, maybe the car feels a bit more stable to handle.
Yes, that is the one. Is it solidly built?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by pawpaws toy
Yes, that is the one. Is it solidly built?
IMO, in order of importance on handling.....wheels/tires is by far #1 I mindful of cost, went with '89 vette wheels 17x9.5 and 275/50/17 in rear 255/50 in front moved the brake cable in back to clear the tires, limited the steering radius in front....next was Rack steering instead of 3.75 r/l lock, 2.75 and better control was the score.....after that, the spreader bar was MOST noticeable......

in the rear I went with a plastic 360 lbs spring for RIDE comfort, the steel springs suck....I also put Billy Stein sport shocks on all 4 corners......

Old 07-29-2018, 08:59 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

may be go to a frame shop first and get your towers pulled then put the spreader on them. I can see a spreader stopping some compression and movement, but it sounds like you actually want to push the frame open with it?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by pawpaws toy
No. My problem is that the shock towers have sprung inward and there is little camber adjustment left. I am hoping a spreader bar will improve this.
Spreader bar is not to fix a frame problem / alignment problem. As for helping you will get varied opinions.
First measure the distance upper arm to upper arm. Then properly support the front frame and lift the car in the front so both wheels are hanging. Then measure the same difference. My 78 only changes by 1/16". My front end is pretty stiff without a spreader bar. Not all cars are the same.

The only change the spreader bar install that I noticed is less car rattle. I use my car for track days and I cannot notice a difference with it connected vs disconnected. Some claim the car turns in quicker handles better, I don't know how you would measure this other than a metal impression. Will you notice a improvement, it depends on how tight the front end is now. But for the cost of the parts its cheap enough that if it doesn't get noticed its not a big loss.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

on one of my sports cars they made offset upper control arms to fix this problem...I am thinking it was the C3...would this fix your problem
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1963-1982.html
Old 07-30-2018, 02:16 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I have Morroso solid steel motor mounts, frame seem welded up, and some frame gusseting like the corvette power book tells you install. I road raced for years like that using 295/30/17 R1 road racing slicks with 700# springs on my QA-1 dual adjust coil over setup. Just for the heck of it I installed the big spreader bar. I didn't notice any difference. I really think that solid motor mounts are how to hold the frame rails stiff.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If you have wider tires, you should have one!!! The original skinny tires or comparable, don't bother!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,397 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Wider Tires

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
If you have wider tires, you should have one!!! The original skinny tires or comparable, don't bother!

Would you define Goodrich Radial TA 255/6/0/R15 as wider tires? I installed the Speed Direct Spreader bar, but wondering if it made a difference. I thought it did, but you sometimes convince yourself that money spent has to make a difference. When I see multiple posts with guys who race cars saying they make no difference, I start to question it. To make matter worse, I recently had a lot of driveline work done at Bairs Corvette, they sent my alignment to a local guy, and for one thing, he grabbed my aluminum spreader bar with channel locks and tore it up.....which really pisses me off. It does not require that, as they can be turned by hand to preload per the instructions....so I need to see how tight it is now. I also need to fix the alignment specs, cause they set me up with positive camber on my front tires, too much toe, too much negative camber on the back......and who knows what the hell they did with my spreader bar.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-30-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Is the frame actually collapsed? The distance from control arm mounting surface to mounting surface is 26 3/8" where the control arm shims touch the frame side to side

As for flex, only you can judge as to if you need it or not, it doesn't hurt anything and it's reversible so...

Here's something I did a couple of years back

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rame-flex.html

M
Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Would you define Goodrich Radial TA 255/6/0/R15 as wider tires? I installed the Speed Direct Spreader bar, but wondering if it made a difference. I thought it did, but you sometimes convince yourself that money spent has to make a difference. When I see multiple posts with guys who race cars saying they make no difference, I start to question it. To make matter worse, I recently had a lot of driveline work done at Bairs Corvette, they sent my alignment to a local guy, and for one thing, he grabbed my aluminum spreader bar with channel locks and tore it up.....which really pisses me off. It does not require that, as they can be turned by hand to preload per the instructions....so I need to see how tight it is now. I also need to fix the alignment specs, cause they set me up with positive camber on my front tires, too much toe, too much negative camber on the back......and who knows what the hell they did with my spreader bar.
I took my spreader bar off when it went for an alignment last time, even removed the brackets since they require a 12pt socket to loosen off for the shims, the less they have to think about it the less damage I hope they do
M
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:53 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,397 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Good Advice

Originally Posted by Mooser
I took my spreader bar off when it went for an alignment last time, even removed the brackets since they require a 12pt socket to loosen off for the shims, the less they have to think about it the less damage I hope they do
M
Yes, I wish I would have thought of it. I just expected more out of them, but turns out once again a so-called expert failed me.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (07-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Spreader Bar

Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,639 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Got my spreader bar from Van Steel.
Great quality and stout.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Doesnt cost much to make a stout one.. i think some kind of K brace would help about any full framed car.
Take a peek under any late model Silverado, not hard to make.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spreader Bar