C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Windshield wiper arm linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Rebuilding Windshield wiper arm linkage

Anyone rebuilt the linkages that connect the motor to the wiper arms? Mine has a lot of slop and I think is the main reason I can't get my drivers side wiper blade from going past the A pillar even though I set them up correctly per the AIM. I got it better yesterday but then the blades would hit each other when sweeping down and where they are the closest. I adjusted the passenger side up some so they wouldn't hit but then had to adjust the vacuum safety switch to allow the door to close. I can see that the door hits the passenger arm slightly and if I didn't have 47 years of ware on the linkage.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:16 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Guess Not.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Anyone rebuilt the linkages that connect the motor to the wiper arms? Mine has a lot of slop and I think is the main reason I can't get my drivers side wiper blade from going past the A pillar even though I set them up correctly per the AIM. I got it better yesterday but then the blades would hit each other when sweeping down and where they are the closest. I adjusted the passenger side up some so they wouldn't hit but then had to adjust the vacuum safety switch to allow the door to close. I can see that the door hits the passenger arm slightly and if I didn't have 47 years of ware on the linkage.
Maybe this will help.
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...rm-adjustment/
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Thanks but I've done all that. I'm talking about slop at the attachment points where the linkage meets the wiper blade arm itself. I have a lot of slop that cannot be adjusted out.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html

Read through this #8/9 may help
Old 08-08-2018, 03:23 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Interesting. When I adjusted them last week I actually did it like that for the first time meaning picking up the LH Blade and positioning it 1 inch below the stop. It didn't help much. I just have too much slop at the linkage hinges.

Last edited by theandies; 08-08-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting. When I adjusted them last week I actually did it like that for the first time meaning picking up the LH Blade and positioning it 1 inch below the stop. It didn't help much. I just have too much slop at the linkage hinges.
It may pay at this point to contact DUB on the forum as he does this stuff everyday for a living. Best of luck with this and for my benefit post your results when you succeed.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't know from description, but I had a problem with my driver side wiper hitting the passenger side and could not adjust it out. Then discovered the threaded stud that the wiper arm mounts onto was moving on the post. Needed to drill a "keyhole" and screw a small screw into the hole that I created between the post and the threaded stud. Threaded stud does not move now and wipers fixed. Hope the description helps. Mine is an 82. Don't know how the mounting post hardware is set up on other models.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't know if it's sold as an assembly for our cars anymore, but you may be better off just replacing the whole wiper linkage transmission (if you can find one) if there's wear in it. Not a hard job and will work like new when done. I had to do this 2X on my son's car because he's too lazy to brush the snow off the windshield. Easier just to turn on the wipers and hope they have the power to push the snow off. The last wiper transmission I removed, I beat him with when I got it off. He got the message.
Duane
The following users liked this post:
slofut (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 AM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I took my 73's apart. You do this by tapping on the bottom of shaft. There are two bushings and a brass lock. The top bushing is a flanged bushing. The bottom is just cylindrical. There are at least three possible issues: If yours has side-to-side movement, the two bushings and possibly the shaft is bad. If it has in-out movement, the brass lock/lower thrust may have come loose. This is just a brass cylinder that has an undersized ID. The lock is pushed onto the serrated portion of the bottom of the shaft and it is an interference fit. This lock controls the in-out movement. The third possibility is a bent shaft.

Can you see which if any, of these conditions you have?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:46 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2mnyvets
I took my 73's apart. You do this by tapping on the bottom of shaft. There are two bushings and a brass lock. The top bushing is a flanged bushing. The bottom is just cylindrical. There are at least three possible issues: If yours has side-to-side movement, the two bushings and possibly the shaft is bad. If it has in-out movement, the brass lock/lower thrust may have come loose. This is just a brass cylinder that has an undersized ID. The lock is pushed onto the serrated portion of the bottom of the shaft and it is an interference fit. This lock controls the in-out movement. The third possibility is a bent shaft.

Can you see which if any, of these conditions you have?
I'll check those out when I'm back in there. Right now I'm knee deep in my Fiero seat project. The last time I adjusted them I was able to get the drivers side to not go past the a pillar but the problem with that is when both sides are adjusted so that happens then the passenger side parks a little "high" and the wiper door just barely hits the wiper when it closes. If I adjust the vacuum safety switch down a bit to make the wiper go down further it won't push the vacuum switch enough to allow the door to close. I can see play in both linkage to wiper arm attachment point and I think if I eliminated that or at least make is less everything should adjust back in place. I'll start looking for a good used linkage set. I'm just worried that another set will be just as worn out.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

MY issue is blade chatter when it's just light rain/drizzle.......heavy rain is no chatter in either direction.....

what causes that, and can it be fixed or is it an act of GOD to do it?? car is a '72 I have the door set up so it's easy to remove, so no sweat there.....

Old 08-12-2018, 07:15 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
MY issue is blade chatter when it's just light rain/drizzle.......heavy rain is no chatter in either direction.....

what causes that, and can it be fixed or is it an act of GOD to do it?? car is a '72 I have the door set up so it's easy to remove, so no sweat there.....
I get that too on my 78

Last edited by LenWoodruff; 08-12-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

If I adjust the vacuum safety switch down a bit to make the wiper go down further it won't push the vacuum switch enough to allow the door to close. I can see play in both linkage to wiper arm attachment point and I think if I eliminated that or at least make is less everything should adjust back in place. .
Surprisingly, I had almost no wear on my 73,000 mile car. It sounds like you can get the wipers to park correctly but then cannot get the door to close. Is that correct? It almost sounds like it is the vacuum switch. Can you set the wipers to park correctly and push the play out of the blade with a stick? if the door closes when you push the shaft down, you have a chance of getting it to close with new/ different transmissions. .

Last edited by 2mnyvets; 08-12-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Thanks 2mnyvets
Yes I've been through all of that. The vacuum safety switch is working fine as is the whole system. I don't have enough adjustment either at the a-pillars or if I get that adjustment close the park position of the right blade is a little higher that were it should be. The only thing I can see causing this is my excessive play where the linkage connects to the wiper arms. I could figure out a bushing/bolt setup but if there is a better/correct way to rebuild the linkage I would rather do that.
Keep it coming. Surely someone over the years has tackled this. We just need to find him.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Windshield wiper arm linkage

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Windshield wiper arm linkage