C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Key Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 PM
motogotro
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Key Success

I just wanted to share a small victory that I am pretty excited about. When I bought my 77, it only had 1 door lock in place and no door key. I bought a pair of door locks from ebay, removed the one door lock that I had and took the whole mess to a local locksmith. He was able to disassemble the one door lock and make a key for it. My intent was to have the two new locks keyed to the same key but that didn't work because the new keys took a different blank than the original. Luckily, the locksmith had a key cylinder that was right for my car and he keyed it to be the same as my original. The main reason I wanted the door key made to my original door lock was the hope that the new key would also work for the security alarm lock and the lock on my spare tire rack. I got home and while holding my breath I tried both the alarm lock and the spare tire rack and the new door key fit both! I was so excited I was dancing around like a kid at Christmas....lol. Sometimes it's the little things that make your day!

Last edited by motogotro; 08-10-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:46 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats it's nice to win one once in awhile.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:32 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

ive run into this problem a number of times, when a customer brought in old cars to be prepped or customized it wasn't uncommon to have only the ignition key, I cant say how many trunk or glove box lock cylinders ive removed and sent to my local locksmith to have a key made for the oem lock, sometimes the labor involved is quite high if theres rust or corrosion in the barrel but when your dealing with 40's and 50;s vintages getting a replacement aftermarket lock is at best lets see if it fits.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Good for you. I hope you went and bought a powerball ticket while your luck was good

Get notified of new replies

To Door Key Success

Quick Reply: Door Key Success