C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Corvette freak electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Aceofspades427
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Corvette freak electrical problems

Hello. I've been working on my neighbors 77 corvette and I'm having a crazy electrical problem and was wondering if anyone knew of any common problems or suggestions

so here's the deal, this car has been off the road for 8 years and sometimes when you turn the key to ignition on it actually turns on but most of the time it doesn't. And if you try to actually start the car nothing happens and the car loses all power.

Some additional information, the negative battery cable has 12 volts so I know there's a short to ground somewhere but we have no idea where. we have already checked the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and the alternator.

thanks for any help
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

SO when you put neg meter lead on battery - and touch the positive cable to a ground you get 12 volts? If you have a short you will have to put an ammeter on and see how much current it is drawing? With ammeter in start removing fuses to see if you can isolate
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you may have a badly corroded negative battery cable connection either at the battery or at the frame..... or both. Keep in mind just because the outside of the connections may look okay, doesn't mean there is enough good contact to allow high current flow. Make sure all cable connections are clean metal..... and that there is no corrosion inside the battery cables.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Aceofspades427
4th Gear

Originally Posted by henrikse
SO when you put neg meter lead on battery - and touch the positive cable to a ground you get 12 volts? If you have a short you will have to put an ammeter on and see how much current it is drawing? With ammeter in start removing fuses to see if you can isolate
No when i touch one end to neg post on battery and the other to the neg battery cable or the frame there's 12 volts.

and that was my next plan of action, I just posted here to see if there was any super common C3 problem
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Aceofspades427
4th Gear

Originally Posted by txfatboy1
Sounds like you may have a badly corroded negative battery cable connection either at the battery or at the frame..... or both. Keep in mind just because the outside of the connections may look okay, doesn't mean there is enough good contact to allow high current flow. Make sure all cable connections are clean metal..... and that there is no corrosion inside the battery cables.
But that doesn't explain why I have 12 volts coming from the negative battery cable
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceofspades427
But that doesn't explain why I have 12 volts coming from the negative battery cable
wouldn't that mean you have no connection between the battery terminal and the battery cable... or very high resistance?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

No when i touch one end to neg post on battery and the other to the neg battery cable or the frame there's 12 volts.

and that was my next plan of action, I just posted here to see if there was any super common C3 problem

The negative post of the battery isn't connected to the frame. You either have a dirty connection or a bad negative battery cable.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:46 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The negative post of the battery isn't connected to the frame. You either have a dirty connection or a bad negative battery cable.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Electrical

is the battery new? Could be shorted and that could be why positive battery gets they to neg terminal and when you touch ground you see full battery voltage.
if new battery then you must have a short with 12 volt positive on ground. This you have to isolate
Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Aceofspades427
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
But why would that give me 12 volts on my negative battery cable and every piece of metal on the car
Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

But why would that give me 12 volts on my negative battery cable and every piece of metal on the car
It's what happens when you disconnect the negative cable.

Take your booster cables and connect one of the negative clamps to a good bare metal spot on the engine, feed the cables through the passenger window and connect the other negative clamp to the battery. The problems will all go away.

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Corvette freak electrical problems

Quick Reply: 1977 Corvette freak electrical problems