C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace, re-pack, or leave ‘em alone? Your thoughts?

Old 08-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Matth624
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace, re-pack, or leave ‘em alone? Your thoughts?

Hey guys, I’m planning a major front brake job in the coming weeks. (Calipers, rotors, pads, rubber lines...etc) The car stops ok but I’ve noticed it’s pulling hard left when the brakes are firmly applied and the rotors are showing signs of excessive wear. I believe these are original calipers and rotors are still rivited to the hubs.
My question is: should I go ahead and replace inner and outer wheel bearings? Clean, inspect and re-pack existing bearings, or leave them alone?
I have no reason to believe the bearings are bad. I don’t really want to open up a can of worms and I’ve got a bad habit of “well while I’ve got it apart...”
Whats your thoughts?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Matth624
Hey guys, I’m planning a major front brake job in the coming weeks. (Calipers, rotors, pads, rubber lines...etc) The car stops ok but I’ve noticed it’s pulling hard left when the brakes are firmly applied and the rotors are showing signs of excessive wear. I believe these are original calipers and rotors are still rivited to the hubs.
My question is: should I go ahead and replace inner and outer wheel bearings? Clean, inspect and re-pack existing bearings, or leave them alone?
I have no reason to believe the bearings are bad. I don’t really want to open up a can of worms and I’ve got a bad habit of “well while I’ve got it apart...”
Whats your thoughts?
Are you sure you are replacing the rotors? Others (DUB, GTR1999, for example) can weigh in on the correct way to do that part of the job.

As for the wheel bearings, this is one of the easiest things to do on a C3. 90 percent of the job is taking the calipers off and hanging them out of the way, so don't be afraid of "while I'm in there - itis" on this particular job. I used a Lisle 34550 Bearing Packer to do the messy part, but you still need to get grease on your (gloved) hands. Make sure you follow the shop manual instructions to get the correct pre-load, and have a good torque wrench.

You'll need a new bearing seal either way, but if you replace them, be sure to get genuine Timken bearings.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Clean up the bearings as if you are going to reuse them, and then inspect them using the attached link as a reference guide. You'll soon know if they're good to reuse.

https://www.timken.com/pdf/5892_Bear...20Brochure.pdf
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Replacing bearings just because you want to....well...you can do that. OR....you can clean and inspect BOTH the bearing adn races and see if they actually need to be replaced. They only may need to be repacked.

IF you are going to mess around with your rotors...this area DOES take some effort from you to make sure that.... A.) IF oyu install NEW ROTORS...You get them installed and indexed correctly for proper run-out. B.) If you keep the originals and have them turned down they a re NOT being turned BELOW 1.230" .

DUB
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Whats your thoughts?
There is probably 40 year old grease in there.

Pull and clean the bearings, if they are good, grease them.
If they are bad, put new ones in.

Either way, put a new seal in there.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Matth624
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information from all of you folks as always! This will definitely help me to put together a plan of attack. Thanks to all of you!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:33 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

Great information from all of you folks as always! This will definitely help me to put together a plan of attack. Thanks to all of you!
Just an example for bearings. http://www.cssbinc.com/1963-82timken...ngkit-1-2.aspx

Good Luck

Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Whats your thoughts?
I just cleaned & repacked mine. The bearings and races were absolutely fine - and probably original - everything said 'made in the USA' on it. The new grease seal didn't, but as long as it does it's job I don't care. I wouldn't replace anything that didn't need it unless it was in some really inaccessible spot.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You can index the rotors to the best position you can find and then bolt them to the hubs with 3 wheel nuts or get fancy and re-use the rivet holes to bolt the rotors to the hub. Then when you've pulled the bearings apart, you can get a shop to put the rotor and hub on the resurfacing machine indexed by the bearing races and give the rotors a cut to take away any remaining runout.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace, re-pack, or leave ‘em alone? Your thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace, re-pack, or leave ‘em alone? Your thoughts?