C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side power window

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drivers side power window

After five attempts to fix the power window I am still having no luck except successfully slicing open my hands and fingers. The power motor is new and I have mounted and re mounted it several times. It takes usually 2-3 hrs. to get evrything back inside the door. My first attempt was several days. I have double checked all of the sliders and tracks so I know that everthing is in its proper place. When it comes to bolting in the track frame and motor the bolt holes are not even close. My only guess is that the motor drive gear is not in the correct position. I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear, maybe I need to bring it closer to the middle ( Only Guessing). The regulator gear is not perfect but there seems to be reasonable contact. The time before last I actually had evething working except I would hear a clunk sound as the window was nearing the top. I figured I could live with it. Then it would freeze up half way.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 PM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Not sure if I can help. I have my passenger side out and can take pictures. I don't think it matters where you set the motor, I think the stops are internal. I know the motors are confusing. The C2 and C3 take the same motors, but the C2 driver fits the C3 passenger side and vise versa. You can check to see if you have the right motor. Also, it looks like I can reverse the X brace with the two wheels but probably could not bolt that up. My window also has extra holes. Did you replace the sliders and get them in the right holes? . Other than that, I am at a loss. .

Last edited by 2mnyvets; 08-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2mnyvets
Not sure if I can help. I have my passenger side out and can take pictures. I don't think it matters where you set the motor, I think the stops are internal. I know the motors are confusing. The C2 and C3 take the same motors, but the C2 driver fits the C3 passenger side and vise versa. You can check to see if you have the right motor. Also, it looks like I can reverse the X brace with the two wheels but probably could not bolt that up. My window also has extra holes. Did you replace the sliders and get them in the right holes? . Other than that, I am at a loss. .
There are two round sliders and one square one that have to be in place before you bolt the window to the top track. then there is on slider that goes into the bottom track. After that there are two bolts that fasten the regulator frame to the door and there should be one bolt that screws into the motor. The lower track also has two bolts that fasten it to the door. I have left all the bolts and nuts losely tightened to give me more adjustment but for some strange reason the motor and regulator assembly will not move into position. Something is binding it but cannot figure it out. I will go back and recheck everthing again but my frustration level is pretty high.
Anyway thanks for your input.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by C3FIXER
After five attempts to fix the power window I am still having no luck except successfully slicing open my hands and fingers. The power motor is new and I have mounted and re mounted it several times. It takes usually 2-3 hrs. to get evrything back inside the door. My first attempt was several days. I have double checked all of the sliders and tracks so I know that everthing is in its proper place. When it comes to bolting in the track frame and motor the bolt holes are not even close. My only guess is that the motor drive gear is not in the correct position. I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear, maybe I need to bring it closer to the middle ( Only Guessing). The regulator gear is not perfect but there seems to be reasonable contact. The time before last I actually had evething working except I would hear a clunk sound as the window was nearing the top. I figured I could live with it. Then it would freeze up half way.
I have read this can can not for the life of me understand what you are describing and I KNOW these doors and the pweor window regulator assembly.

You wrote this:

When it comes to bolting in the track frame and motor the bolt holes are not even close. My only guess is that the motor drive gear is not in the correct position. I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear, maybe I need to bring it closer to the middle

I have no idea of what you are describing...and this does not make sense to me. What are describing is the 'track frame' ???

What are you meaning when you write 'motor drive gear is not in the correct position'

What did you mean when you wrote: I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear,..and how can oyu bring it close to the middle as you wrote.

Hopefully the bushing that goes in the center of the plate that aids in holding your motor on the regulator is still there. If you do not have that bushing in that plate...your regulator will fail...QUICKLY.

Also installing a motor on the regulator does take some time due to the bosses on the motor MUST fit into the holes in the regulator so the motor is correctly indexed to the regulator. IF your window motor is missing these bosses...then you can have a problem in the motor wanting to shift and cause the gear to get eaten up.

Hearing a cluck is basically letting me know your gear on the regulator is getting very close to failing . It is easy to tell how badly the gear is worn due to at the ends of the gear on the regulator...you can see what perfectly good teeth look like due to they have never been touched and then look at the teeth on the gear and see how they change shape and can get really sharp and pointed. THAT is when the beginning of the end has occurred and a new gear should be put on if you can do that or buy a new regulator and start fresh.

But even with new regulator they can take a bit of tweaking to get the gear on the motor to be correct to the gear on the regulator so they mesh well and will not wear out due to being spaced too far apart.

DUB
Old 08-12-2018, 07:29 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
I have read this can can not for the life of me understand what you are describing and I KNOW these doors and the pweor window regulator assembly.

You wrote this:

When it comes to bolting in the track frame and motor the bolt holes are not even close. My only guess is that the motor drive gear is not in the correct position. I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear, maybe I need to bring it closer to the middle

I have no idea of what you are describing...and this does not make sense to me. What are describing is the 'track frame' ???

What are you meaning when you write 'motor drive gear is not in the correct position'

What did you mean when you wrote: I mounted it near the bottom of the regulator gear,..and how can oyu bring it close to the middle as you wrote.

Hopefully the bushing that goes in the center of the plate that aids in holding your motor on the regulator is still there. If you do not have that bushing in that plate...your regulator will fail...QUICKLY.

Also installing a motor on the regulator does take some time due to the bosses on the motor MUST fit into the holes in the regulator so the motor is correctly indexed to the regulator. IF your window motor is missing these bosses...then you can have a problem in the motor wanting to shift and cause the gear to get eaten up.

Hearing a cluck is basically letting me know your gear on the regulator is getting very close to failing . It is easy to tell how badly the gear is worn due to at the ends of the gear on the regulator...you can see what perfectly good teeth look like due to they have never been touched and then look at the teeth on the gear and see how they change shape and can get really sharp and pointed. THAT is when the beginning of the end has occurred and a new gear should be put on if you can do that or buy a new regulator and start fresh.

But even with new regulator they can take a bit of tweaking to get the gear on the motor to be correct to the gear on the regulator so they mesh well and will not wear out due to being spaced too far apart.

DUB
Thanks for your input but I have a new Motor and yes I there is a bushing in the middle of the plate. When You mount the motor to the Regulator as you push the arm forward to position the motor drive gear into the Regulator Gear is it possible to have the gears in the wrong position. I usually am a few teeth from the bottom of the Regulator Gear. By the way I do have some wear on the regulator gear teeth. I can just barely catch the edge of the teeth with my finger nail, so perhaps I need to replace the regulator gear. or spend the money and buy a new regulator assembly. All of that being said I took a closer inspection and found the lower horizontal track was missing the slider so that would account for misalignment. In the re-assembly process does it make sense to bolt up the regulator and motor first and then the lower track. That may have been my problem.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by C3FIXER
Thanks for your input but I have a new Motor and yes I there is a bushing in the middle of the plate. When You mount the motor to the Regulator as you push the arm forward to position the motor drive gear into the Regulator Gear is it possible to have the gears in the wrong position. I usually am a few teeth from the bottom of the Regulator Gear. By the way I do have some wear on the regulator gear teeth. I can just barely catch the edge of the teeth with my finger nail, so perhaps I need to replace the regulator gear. or spend the money and buy a new regulator assembly. All of that being said I took a closer inspection and found the lower horizontal track was missing the slider so that would account for misalignment. In the re-assembly process does it make sense to bolt up the regulator and motor first and then the lower track. That may have been my problem.
Like Dub, I'm confused as well... You don't have to worry about where you install the regulator and gear, if you remove the motor, you put the bolt in the regulator and mount it as is. If there is any issue with the regulator gear you should either replace the regulator or install the gear tooth replacement gear. There isn't a wrong position when installing the regulator... So my guess is that you've got a stripped out regulator gear and it's skipping on the motor gear...

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 08-13-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Like Dub, I'm confused as well... You don't have to worry about where you install the regulator and gear, you put the bolt in the regulator and mount it as is. If there is any issue with the regulator gear you should either replace it or install the gear tooth replacement gear. There isn't a wrong position when installing the regulator... So my guess is that you've got a stripped out regulator gear and it's skipping on the motor gear...

Willcox
Time for a picture, might help explain what you mean. This is the left door regulator on my 79.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Default Power window issues

Originally Posted by Duke94
Time for a picture, might help explain what you mean. This is the left door regulator on my 79.
Well after checking eveyrthing over again for the 5th time I realized that the slider on the bottom track was poping out when I tried to position the motor. I unbolted the track and was able to bolt both the regulator frame and motor in place. After that I installed the lower tract and slider in place. The window now operates up and down without any crazy noises. I made a few adjustments and seem to have the sealing in the right places. Now it's on to the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side power window

Quick Reply: Drivers side power window