C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

q-jet adjust

Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts
Default q-jet adjust

A secondary issue (no pun intended) on my carb adjust as I'm about to pull the rear-end and rear suspension out of my car (again). But in my test drives whenever I start the car it starts fine, goes on the high idle OK, and then kicks down after after a few seconds when I kick the pedal. This is where the problem starts. The idle at this point in neutral is quite low. So low the car can't idle in drive with the brake on unless I ride the throttle. The simple answer would seem to be turn up the idle screw on the left side of the carb. The problem is that after 3 or 4 minutes of running the idle comes up 200 to 300 rpm. So if I turn up the idle to run OK when the engine first starts and comes off the high idle then 3 or 4 minutes later it will be idling around 900 rpm with in drive with the brake on - much too high.

For history of the carb - it is original, it was rebuilt by Cliff Ruggles during which it was set up for the stock original L82 that's in the car. I did adjust the idle mixture when I reinstalled it. I did this with a vacuum gage and went back and forth between the two screws to keep them close to each other. Ultimately they landed at about 4 1/4 turns each.

So, guidance on what to look for as possible causes. And I'd be interested in knowing what in the car causes the noticeable increase in rpm after a few minutes of warming up. Clearing there's something kicking in at that point, I assume it's driven by a temperature.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,243 Likes on 3,897 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I think its a choke issue. It sounds like its adjusted that it drops the high idle to soon but is holding the choke flap shut longer. I would contact Lars and ask him.He knows these carbs like he invented them.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,913 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Your choke should not be coming off fast idle after only a few seconds. You need to adjust your choke and choke pulloff correctly. Complete instructions for doing this in my Q-Jet paper, available by e-mail request.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Your choke should not be coming off fast idle after only a few seconds. You need to adjust your choke and choke pulloff correctly. Complete instructions for doing this in my Q-Jet paper, available by e-mail request.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
Thanks Lars. I'll drop a note via email.

Get notified of new replies

To q-jet adjust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: q-jet adjust