C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 AC Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:06 AM
mmcfearin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 AC Suggestions

So most of my AC is gone, really all that is left is what is under the dash and the box on the firewall. I have been told their are modern systems that are much more efficient, any suggestions? Restore the old or replace and what with?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you want to keep the stock system, the parts are still available. You could also convert the stock system to R-134A without much effort.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

find a vette junk yard for most parts..you don't want the compressor but you may want the brackets
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

im also in the same boat, my 81 was converted by po to newer refrig but although the compressor holds pressure it wont take more fluid, and my electrical connections are fairly corroded/missing. was looking at ac systems from summit etc, does anyone know of a decent compressor that can keep the stock parts without replacing everything? im fairly certain my compressor is the problem but I wouldn't mind changing everything just to not have any more problems. so am leaning towards a complete kit.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Vintage Air makes kits from just the compressor to full systems. check their web site and give them a call.
The new compressors are much better and lighter.

If the system is open then you may have to flush out the system that is under the dash- a PIA but doable...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 08-14-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Bills vette 007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmcfearin
So most of my AC is gone, really all that is left is what is under the dash and the box on the firewall. I have been told their are modern systems that are much more efficient, any suggestions? Restore the old or replace and what with?
I am in the process of installing a Vintage Air complete system in my 1974. Previous owner had removed the compressor and condenser and all mounting hardware. I had no way of knowing what was still good and the heater fan didn't work very well anyway. My complete system replaces all the duct work under the dash and the heating system as well. The only thing I keep is the diffusers in the dash. Everything under the hood is also replaced. I will post my results when (if) I ever get it finished, LOL. It's not cheap, about $1600 with shipping, but I think it will be worth it. It's hot in Tennessee.

Last edited by Bills vette 007; 08-15-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Tim Ware
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just installed Vintage Air. Fantastic cooling & the fan will blow your wig off. Don't fool with old-tech junk. The Vintage also eliminates the goofy vacuum switches on the console with electrical connections. Inside the car, it looks original. I bought the complete kit for only $1397.97 from Summit.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Bills vette 007
Intermediate

Default Me too

Originally Posted by Tim Ware
Just installed Vintage Air. Fantastic cooling & the fan will blow your wig off. Don't fool with old-tech junk. The Vintage also eliminates the goofy vacuum switches on the console with electrical connections. Inside the car, it looks original. I bought the complete kit for only $1397.97 from Summit.
I hope you had better luck than I am installing the unit.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM
frosty80
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a vintage air system in an old belair years ago, it worked great BUT if i remember correctly doesnt the whole ac box hang below the dashboard more than the original?

I would keep the original system, the ac box and ducts fit and look better to me than the the corrugated hose that vintage air replaces it with. vintage air will work better than the stock system that is just converted to r134 but only because of the newer style compressor, condenser and stronger blower motor.

So I would do the c4 blower motor/fan upgrade and parallel flow condenser upgrade. If you look at the original condenser, its just a fat tube with fins on it. A newer parallel flow condenser has much smaller tubes (therefore more surface area) and more fins, much more efficient.

Make sure to vacuum check your evaporator core by plugging one of the two metal hoses that goes into the box on the fire wall and applying vacuum to the other hose and see if it holds. And of course with any a/c service you need to replace the dryer.

A vintage air kit is a ton of work, if you can get away with not having to pull your dash (only if evap core is good) than you will save a lot of time. I would bet you will save a ton of money too, C4 blower, condenser, Dryer, Compressor has got to be cheaper than $1400
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 PM
birdie1322
Heel & Toe

I just got my 81' from my brother-in-law who rebuilt it 10 years ago. The A/C was blowing hot air. I asked him about what to put in it, since it is
still an R12 system. He used Red Tek , says it was about 7-8 years ago when he added some. I just got 2 cans & gauge over internet. It is a
replacement for R12. I put both cans in the system and it is now blowing cool air, might put a 3rd can in to get it real cold.

Luke & Sheryl
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM
mmcfearin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bills vette 007
I am in the process of installing a Vintage Air complete system in my 1974. Previous owner had removed the compressor and condenser and all mounting hardware. I had no way of knowing what was still good and the heater fan didn't work very well anyway. My complete system replaces all the duct work under the dash and the heating system as well. The only thing I keep is the diffusers in the dash. Everything under the hood is also replaced. I will post my results when (if) I ever get it finished, LOL. It's not cheap, about $1600 with shipping, but I think it will be worth it. It's hot in Tennessee.
Wonderful I am really excited to see your pictures. I spoke with Vintage Air and while they don't official make a system for the 79-82 Vette they told me the Gen IV works perfectly with very little modifications.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:44 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

If you decide to restore the original system be certain to either replace or thoroughly clean (inside and outside) the evaporator coil in the "box" on the firewall! You don't want any debris or liquid trapped in it to ruin your new system! Also don't forget that as far as an A/C system is concerned, water (even the residual water vapor) is considered compressor-destroying "debris" because it cannot be compressed.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 AC Suggestions

Quick Reply: 1981 AC Suggestions