C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technique for changing the clutch starter safety switch on a 1980

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Technique for changing the clutch starter safety switch on a 1980

I spent a frustrating and wasted afternoon trying to change the switch. I removed the seat, cover under the steering column and the left side AC duct.
I can clearly see the switch when using a mirror pointed up at the clutch pedal. However, when I stick my head up under the dash the brake light switch, blocks most of the view of the clutch switch. If I hold the clutch pedal down I can see the clutch switch. Is there a way to hold it down from under the car without doing any damage?

I could not find any mention of how to change the clutch switch in the factory service manual, unless I missed it?

I was going to look in the AIM to see if there is a picture.

Any suggestions on how to change the switch?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Rods 79
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I changed my switch out it was mounted with a 10mm metal screw. It's a tight fit to get up there to get it out and back in.

Pic from 1979 Assembly Manual, pg 366
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I have not changed one on an 80 but had the misfortune to change 4 or 5 of them on early C3's. I did my 69 recently with the seat out and on my back. I used a small 1/4" ratchet with a 2" extension. I used the extension with socket to install the fastener with my fingers then attached the small ratchet to tighten. I used long 12" needle nose pliers to install the tiny clip which is really easy to drop and lose as it's so small but with the long pliers it makes it easy to reach up and install on the rod. You might also try a little dab of silicone or rtv on the fastener to hold it in the bracket until you can get it positioned and started in the hole.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 08-13-2018 at 12:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bremquest (01-26-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

I looked at the AIM last evening and saw Rod 79’s picture. I also saw another picture of the bracket that holds the brake light switch. Two screws hold it in place, and wonder if anyone has removed it to gain access to the clutch switch?
Is there a way to hold the clutch pedal down from underneath the car without damage?
Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:20 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mark79,80
I looked at the AIM last evening and saw Rod 79’s picture. I also saw another picture of the bracket that holds the brake light switch. Two screws hold it in place, and wonder if anyone has removed it to gain access to the clutch switch?
Is there a way to hold the clutch pedal down from underneath the car without damage?
Thanks for the replies.
The image in my 80 AIM is the same as the one from the 79.
To get the clutch pedal to move, I would just disconnect the linkage/spring from the clutch fork
Old 08-13-2018, 11:28 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Can an you explain where you disconnect the clutch pedal. Is that under the car or under the dash? Once disconnected will the clutch pedal stay where pushed? Have never worked on the clutch linkage so need basic instruction.

Thanks

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette

The image in my 80 AIM is the same as the one from the 79.
To get the clutch pedal to move, I would just disconnect the linkage/spring from the clutch fork
Old 08-13-2018, 12:51 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

The linkage is under the hood/car, not under the dash. Open the hood and look down below the brake power booster. There is a cross shaft that connects to the chassis and across to the engine block. You could disconnect it here. Don't lose the spring clip. There is also a return spring connected to the linkage. This should allow you to move the pedal where you want it.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:47 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

If I disconnect the spring can I move the clutch pedal where I would like? Or does the spring clip and cross shaft have to be disconnected as well?

Thanks

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette

The linkage is under the hood/car, not under the dash. Open the hood and look down below the brake power booster. There is a cross shaft that connects to the chassis and across to the engine block. You could disconnect it here. Don't lose the spring clip. There is also a return spring connected to the linkage. This should allow you to move the pedal where you want it.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:36 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Pull out the G clip at the yellow arrow, pull the swivel nut out in the direction of the green arrow. don't lose the G clip and also disconnect the spring. Hope it helps.
mark79,80 (08-13-2018)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:12 PM
Bremquest
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I have not changed one on an 80 but had the misfortune to change 4 or 5 of them on early C3's. I did my 69 recently with the seat out and on my back. I used a small 1/4" ratchet with a 2" extension. I used the extension with socket to install the fastener with my fingers then attached the small ratchet to tighten. I used long 12" needle nose pliers to install the tiny clip which is really easy to drop and lose as it's so small but with the long pliers it makes it easy to reach up and install on the rod. You might also try a little dab of silicone or rtv on the fastener to hold it in the bracket until you can get it positioned and started in the hole.
Thank you I followed your instructions
and to saved me a lot of frustration
Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Edward Surprenant
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pic of the clutch safety switch wire from the CSS (on the right) to a connector located above the duct to the side vent on my 1980 C3. It was the CONNECTOR on the left that was barely connected that caused my no start issue. This forum is fantastic and we will never agree on everything...just look around a bit...THIS FORUM is full of generous smart folks that share knowledge freely and has made my ownership of a 40 year old car, kind of fun, after the back straightens out!!
I cant thank you folks enough...I am a pretty good troubleshooter but the combined experiences help SOOOO much to narrow down and improve getting to the issue...and with a 40 year old rig----there will be issues! Thanks gents

Soup
70s (08-11-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:28 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Bremquest
Thank you I followed your instructions
and to saved me a lot of frustration
You are responding to a post from 3 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Technique for changing the clutch starter safety switch on a 1980

Quick Reply: Technique for changing the clutch starter safety switch on a 1980