C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Tire Rubbing on Left Turns

Old 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default '79 Tire Rubbing on Left Turns

I know that there was a similar tire rubbing thread earlier, but this is my story.
My drivers side tire started to rub the inner fender on left turns. After test driving 2 other c3's that my friends own, I realized that something was wrong with mine.

I crawled underneath, and saw that the bolt and the bushing were missing in the rear portion of the lower control arm. I ordered a rebuilt arm from Ecklers (Van Steele) which turned out the be the right decision. I have access to a lift at a friends house, and he was there to help perform this task. It was not difficult to change this out, the trickiest part was dealing with the spring. We put a jack underneath, separated the lower ball joint, and jacked it up over the spindle. Then, slowly lowered it and removed the spring. We reversed the process after installing the new arm.

I am going to rebuild the rest of the it when the weather is not so hot.. tie rods, sleeves, idler arm... and am going to get right side lower, along with the 2 uppers. I also plan on replacing the tires... which are at least 11 years old.

Here are some pictures...

Old 08-14-2018, 07:16 AM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Your marking on the inner fender have a very close resemblance to mine. I'm going to have to take a close look underneath the car. Bet using the two-post was nice! I have a Kwik-Lift in the garage which is great for anything non-suspension related.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM
blk79nj
Pro

Use of the lift made the job much easier, but it can be done on the ground with a floor jack. The spring isn't super long, so it came out fairly easily, without the use of a spring compressor.

There was a previous post about the larger rear bolt head being difficult to get a hold of to stop it from spinning. I didn't have that issue. The 2 front ones thread into a plate. I also replaced the sway bar links and the ps ram bushing.

It was actually fun to work on and the best part is no more tire rub (or fear of the suspension falling apart while driving).
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

sounds like you solved the issue, however I would add new shocks to the mix, as from the repairs you listed I would assume they are also in need of tlc, that should finish stiffening the suspension to oem specs.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Shocks are on my list also. I already received the tie rods, sleeves and idler arm from the highly advertised auto parts website. All these items are Moog, which are expensive but I only want to do this once.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

USE BLUE LOCTITE on the assembly - to stop future issues

Get notified of new replies

To '79 Tire Rubbing on Left Turns

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '79 Tire Rubbing on Left Turns