C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

The oil on your dipstick indicates the oil is only about 1 1/2 quarts low.
Did you check it when you picked up the car from the shop or is this the first time you've checked it?
A low oil condition on an OEM dipstick could be caused by an aftermarket oil pan with a larger than stock sump.
You may need to fill the engine with the recommended amount of oil including the oil capacity of the filter, run the engine a few minutes and check the oil and see where the full level is on the dipstick, then mark the dipstick with the new full line.
I agree with Pauldana, your oil looks fine for a newly built engine.
When an engine is built there are assembly lubes used that will instantly contaminate the break in oil and turn it nasty looking.

I don't understand the reluctance of your shop to replace the intake gaskets as suggested.
Just for piece of mind, I would ask the owner to do so and pay him for the parts and labor if it doesn't solve the issue you are having.
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
The oil on your dipstick indicates the oil is only about 1 1/2 quarts low.
Did you check it when you picked up the car from the shop or is this the first time you've checked it?
A low oil condition on an OEM dipstick could be caused by an aftermarket oil pan with a larger than stock sump.
You may need to fill the engine with the recommended amount of oil including the oil capacity of the filter, run the engine a few minutes and check the oil and see where the full level is on the dipstick, then mark the dipstick with the new full line.
I agree with Pauldana, your oil looks fine for a newly built engine.
When an engine is built there are assembly lubes used that will instantly contaminate the break in oil and turn it nasty looking.

I don't understand the reluctance of your shop to replace the intake gaskets as suggested.
Just for piece of mind, I would ask the owner to do so and pay him for the parts and labor if it doesn't solve the issue you are having.
Thanks,
I did check the oil in the engine when I first got the car back after this engine had been installed. The oil was clear and to the fill line on the dip stick. This was the first time after that I had checked the oil level. I am glad to know you both feel the color of the oil and driving it 1-1/2 quart low for a few miles is consistent to a new engine install. I don't mean to be an ***, (I'm just a KNOT-HEAD) but I have paid this shop approximately $6k to work on this car. They need to get it right at their expense not mine!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Thanks,
I did check the oil in the engine when I first got the car back after this engine had been installed. The oil was clear and to the fill line on the dip stick. This was the first time after that I had checked the oil level. I am glad to know you both feel the color of the oil and driving it 1-1/2 quart low for a few miles is consistent to a new engine install. I don't mean to be an ***, (I'm just a KNOT-HEAD) but I have paid this shop approximately $6k to work on this car. They need to get it right at their expense not mine!

KNOT-HEAD

NO..... it should not burn that much oil...color is ok

Last edited by pauldana; 11-27-2018 at 10:01 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:32 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by pauldana
NO..... it should not burn that much oil...color is ok
KNOT-HEAD (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
Tomorrow's the big day. I have an 8:30 appointment with Asylum Motor Sports to tune, time and Dyno the engine. The shop has had five working days to correct the issues with the engine. I hope they have been successful. I really like the owner and I would hate to have us both suffer the consequences if Asylum finds major issues that can't be considered as falling under "manufactures" warranty.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-28-2018, 08:17 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
Don't you just hate it when "The Grinch" is correct so damn much?

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

MAN!!!! THE OLD GROUCH, GRINCH "pauldana" is going to LOVE this... He may even crack a smile!

As usual he was 100? correct with his diagnosis of the engine issues. THEY INSTALLED THE INCORRECT INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET. They installed a factory gasket instead of the gasket made for the Blueprint 396 (see pictures). The window on the gasket was not large enough to enclose the port on the block and manifold (zoom in on the block pic). It was loosing vacuum at the top of the port. I called the shop owner late Wednesday to see if the car was running properly and ready to bring to Asylum. He joyfully said YES! When I got there at 4:45 pm the mechanic working on the car was pulling out to take it for a final test drive. When he came back he went straight to his work area and connected his timing light. Immediately I knew something had went wrong. He said the engine was running great until it heated up, then it would run rough.

For almost two month (after pauldana stated there was a problem with the intake manifold) I tried to get the mechanic to pull the intake and check the gasket. Now I insisted. The mechanic said he would pull the intake to give me peace of mind...he did...and it did! I requested to see the engine after the manifold was removed. At that time the mechanic and owner both agreed they had installed the incorrect gasket. We contacted JEGS to see if they had shipped the incorrect gasket I had ordered with the intake. They didn't show where they had shipped a gasket kit to the shop. I thought for sure I had ordered one specifically for that engine but apparently not! The owner of the shop got the part number of the correct gasket from the JEGS sales person and found a new gasket locally (see comparison pictures). The mechanic installed the new gasket, timed and tuned the engine and realized that was the problem all along! HO-DA-THUNK-IT? I left the shop at 11:00 pm and drove the car home. There was know doubt in the improvement that made on the operation of the engine... Thanks "pauldana"!

I drove it to Asylum Motor Sports so they could tune, time and Dyno the engine. When I got there.... I WAS LIKE A KID ON CHRISTMAS! The cars they were currently working on were stored in the building for safe keeping over night. As they cranked each car to remove it from the shop to make working room, I could not help but video each one as they cranked it and drove it out of the shop..... DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! It was the sights and sounds of an old street racer's dream come true. I later made the comment "What's the horsepower on some of these cars...a thousand"?. The guy just "grinned" and pointed to a beautiful red Corvette with out of state plates, stored up on the lift and said "that one is 1700 horsepower". My jaw dropped. These all appeared to be high end Corvette, off the show room street cars..... Let me tell you.... looks can be deceiving. The place was an immaculately kept picture of awe, engulfed in muscle and beauty all wrapped into one. I was humbled by having the gaul to bring my old bucket of bolts into the sanctuary of such majesty and apologized to "technicians" on staff! One guy laughed saying "we get a lot of carbruated vehicles here".

They put my old clunker on the Dyno and started their magic. Terry is a mild mannered "Clark Kent" when it comes to the fineness needed to tweak a finely tuned engine. I was there watching them work from 8:30 am until 1:30 pm. I never heard Terry utter more then ten words until he had completed his work and removed my car from the Dyno rack. FIVE HOURS WORK FOR FIVE HOURS PAY! My kind of guy! I naturally asked a bunch of ignorant questions (about engines, horsepower, transmissions), which he politely answered in a manner a rooky as myself could understand. He made a few adjustments that made all the difference in the performance of the engine, not to mention added 20 horsepower to the Dyno reading of the engine (see Dyno readout). My main concern was the soundness of the newly installed engine and transmission. He said everything was performing as they should be. I was VERY glad to here that after almost two months of my struggling with my current mechanic over what I thought should have been a well timed and tuned engine.

It was hard for me to beleave just how much a little loving care could do for the feel of a classic automobile. When I left my house that morning to head to Asylum, once I got on the highway, I thought to myself, Damn, the drive shaft that had been shortened had not been properly balanced or one of the new universal joints the shop had recently installed had come loose. Even though this was a newly paved road, it felt like I was driving on the rumble strips they now put on the shoulder of the interstate. Once I got on the interstate, the ride smoothed out a little but was still very rough. Even though one of the first things I had replaced on the care once I purchased was the shocks, it always had a rough ride. I just thought that was the nature of a forty year old Corvette. As I left Asylum Motor Sports I immediately noticed not only the sound and acceleration of the engine had vastly improved (to be expected) the ride had also improved. It didn't "shake-rattle-n-role" as it did from the first day I drove it home. It rode similar to my 2008 Trailblazer. That was amazing.

I was disappointed in the horsepower and torque readings of the new engine, even though all of you attempted to educate me on the dynamics of the complete drive train package, including the proper carburetor, intake manifold (AND GASKET), exhaust system it takes to achieve the desired performance of any given engine. JEGS advertised a 396/485hp-500 lb torque long block but noted the horsepower rating would vary with the type of added equipment installed. The Dyno test showed approximately 400 engine horsepower, 135 hp to the ground and 137 lb torque at about 13% power loss from the engine to the ground. Terry told me that was to be expected and the Stroker type engines manufactures Dyno readings are always higher than the top of the line Dyno they use. Still being awe struck by the surrounding dormant horsepower of the vehicles in the shop, I asked him VERY MEEKLY..... For a forty year old car, do you think mine is OK? As he simply smiled, turned and walked away, he said in a playful tone "It will spin the tires'! That was good enough for me.

Who knows, if I win the lottery (that I don't play), my wife changes her mind about taking an early retirement (ain't gonna happen) or my two sons get together and buys me one for a Christmas present (IMPOSSIBLE), I may one day own one of these 1500(+) horsepower dream machines. For now, I just want this one to be something to be proud of. Thanks to y'all (that's southern for all of you here), my current mechanic shop, Asylum Motor Sports of Baton Rouge, LA and of course my partially understanding and tolerant wife of going on forty-one years, yesterday I finally drove home in a car I was proud of! Even though about two miles after I had left Asylum the GEN light came on. I pulled off the side of the road, lifted the hood to find the new alternator belt the mechanic shop had installed Monday, had broken....WTF! I calmly called Asylum asking, if I have enough juice in the battery to return to your shop, would you replace the broken belt. I did and they did. I picked up the wife, a load of chicken tenders then drove through the Christmas light display at Lamar-Dixon park in Gonzales LA then returned home. All of this without a single negative issue....AMAIZING!

So thanks to everyone for all the help, especially "pauldana" for standing his ground and the ability to troubleshoot just by the ramblings of an old fat man cry babying about all the mistakes he has made concerning his old car.

KNOT-HEAD

Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Remember, It's not the numbers on a sheet of paper that makes you happy, it's how the car performs that will.
Congrats on finally getting to this point.
KNOT-HEAD (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Remember, It's not the numbers on a sheet of paper that makes you happy, it's how the car performs that will.
Congrats on finally getting to this point.
Thanks,
Please read my previous thread. I gave a DETAILED report on the outcome of the test. It was very humbling to be in the same building that housed from 800 to 1700 horsepower state of the art vehicles. I have never been so happy with this car as I was driving it home yesterday evening. That clean bill of health given by Asylum on the engine and transmission made all the difference in the world in the way I look at this car now. So far the suspension, breaks, steering, rear end, A/C, radio, clock, volt meter, engine and transmission has passed muster. Thank God. Now I will continue to work on the remainder of the interior, such as door panels and seats.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 11-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Glad to hear Terry was able to take care of you.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:35 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Does it move now when you hammer the gas peddle?

it should :-)

congrats...

pd

alteady complaining about not enough power:-)
lol
what wouod you have done if you went with a 350 or 383??

Last edited by pauldana; 11-30-2018 at 06:27 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:25 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Your C3: 333hp 379tq you are between C5 and C6 power, your tq rocks, its well past C6 territory

as compared to: C5 https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...d-numbers.html

"I dynoed my stock 2001 c5 today on a 08 dynojet. It put down 327hp and 341 ft pds."

"My 2000 FRC from the factory only made 300/300 to the wheels."

"My '02 M6 coupe made 324/342 completely stock"

As compared to: C6 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-one-know.html

"330-350 on a Dynojet"

"Auto is about 330 +/-"

"Manual is about 340 +/-"

"My stock LS2 manual was 340 RWHP at Horsepower Sales in 2008."

"LS3's see around 370-385 and Z06's see around 445-450 at the wheels."

BTW, are you running that 2" filter, or did you put the 3" on?

and what size carburetor did you end up with?

The above makes me feel good to:-) 525RWHP for baby..

Last edited by pauldana; 12-01-2018 at 04:47 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default could've had a v8; and then some?

Y'all remember the vegetable juice commercial ? ... "I could've had a v8!"

I just began looking at this thread this morning and discovered it was loooong ... some 400 posts so far ... I didn't read all ... sort of sampled throughout 'till here.

Seems clear KNOT-HEAD has had benefit here from LOTS of very good tech advice from several CF members. I was trying to get a handle on knot's immediate & long-term need before I chimed in. By now, there's a lot of water under the bridge.

I'm usually one to suggest either build your own or buy a new Goodwrench iron Vortec L31 crate; swap its cam & rockers for about 400fwhp at about $3K total.
But soon I understand knot's in deep with huge expenditures, bad motor purchase, questionable trans, etc. But most importantly his age, health challenges, and his self-described risk of damaging/losing his marriage. At that point I'd have suggested full-stop and a plan to recoup some losses. I just can't help wonder if knot's bride might've have already retired if his C3 project weren't so large. But the saga continues with another motor; an sbc 396 crate which I truly hope does a great job.

But hindsight's 20/20. That said, with all the bucks thrown at this... seems even Chevy's very hi-po supercharged Z06-LT4 or ZR1-LT5 crates and another hood could've been done for same $.

Regardless, sincerely wish knothead's driveline soon shakes-out satisfactorily and trust he'll remember those gents who've helped him arrive; and that knot maintains clear vision of just what or especially ... who is most important. Best wishes for the Christmas holiday and the new year.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 01:42 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Please post a picture of the dyno supplied by Blueprint Engines on you 396 for me.

Your RWHP Dyno peaks at under 5.4K RPM. that cam should peak around 6K RPM..

Are you running that 2" filter?? what size primaries are your headers again? what size carb are you running?

Last edited by pauldana; 12-01-2018 at 07:57 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Same cam specs... hp peaks at 6000RPM, yours flats out at 5000rpm.

your chocking off somewhere..

Last edited by pauldana; 12-01-2018 at 07:58 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Glad to hear Terry was able to take care of you.
Thanks for recommending him. They did a great job.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Does it move now when you hammer the gas peddle?

it should :-)

congrats...

pd

alteady complaining about not enough power:-)
lol
what wouod you have done if you went with a 350 or 383??

Ain't hammered the gas peddle with it in gear yet but it sure sounds good. We were in the Walker LA Christmas parade until I threw the A/C and alternator belts about half way trough the parade. That's the second time it through the alternator belt in two days.

I busted up into Asylum Motor Sports proud as a peacock, saying 396/485hp engine.....then they started rolling the cars out of the building. The lowest was 800 hp. Thankfully they didn't crank up the 1700 hp Corvette.....I may have wet my pants!

Thanks again for all the help. I'm sure I will be asking for more soon1

KNOT-HEAD

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Your C3: 333hp 379tq you are between C5 and C6 power, your tq rocks, its well past C6 territory

as compared to: C5 https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...d-numbers.html

"I dynoed my stock 2001 c5 today on a 08 dynojet. It put down 327hp and 341 ft pds."

"My 2000 FRC from the factory only made 300/300 to the wheels."

"My '02 M6 coupe made 324/342 completely stock"

As compared to: C6 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-one-know.html

"330-350 on a Dynojet"

"Auto is about 330 +/-"

"Manual is about 340 +/-"

"My stock LS2 manual was 340 RWHP at Horsepower Sales in 2008."

"LS3's see around 370-385 and Z06's see around 445-450 at the wheels."

BTW, are you running that 2" filter, or did you put the 3" on?

and what size carburetor did you end up with?

The above makes me feel good to:-) 525RWHP for baby..
Thanks,
I am happy with the engine now that Asylum has checked it out. I would still love to drive that 1700hp Corvette. That has got to be a thrill to drive your 525RWHP baby! Now I need to figure out how to keep the alternator belt from rolling an flying off. Both the A/C and alternator belt came off a little better than half way through the Walker LA Christmas parade. We had a great time until then. The crowd loved the sound of the engine with the cutouts open, especially when I would stomp the accelerator pedal. We have to grow old.... but we don't have to GROW UP

Yes, I did change back to the 3" filter. I have the Edelbrock 350-1411 carburetor and 350-7501 Performer intake manifold. I hope that is the one you recommended.

Thanks again for the patience you have had with me while guiding me through these engine problems. I am sure I will be needing a lot more help soon.

KNOT-HEAD
Walker La. 2018 Christmas Parade

Thrown A/C & alternator belts half way through the Walker La. 2018 Christmas Parade

Patented South Louisiana Hood Jack

P.S.
After Asylum was finished with the car an old high school buddy of mine took be down the street to a friend of his car barn. It was amazing the amount of old cars he had that just sits and collects dust. It must be nice to have enough money to have a hobby like that. Take a close look at the "Patented South LA Hood Jack" picture, I took of one of his cars!

Last edited by KNOT-HEAD; 12-03-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spacing changes
Old 12-03-2018, 10:25 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

you are throwing belts because your pulleys are not aligned.

possible ideas...

1. water pump... the water pump, for a corvette has a different snout length. wrong pump will through belts

2. alternator bracket is not put on correctly,, and thus alignment wrong.

FYI, I see 7500 RPM at times,,, (when I over rev) and never through a belt,,,, your alignment os off...
look down all the pulley groves and look at there alinement with each other..
KNOT-HEAD (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

There have been numerous threads regarding the issues with members installing the wrong water pumps, even asking for the right one at the counter, installing it , then finding it was incorrect when their pulleys don't align.
Another issue could be how the machanic tightened the belts.
I have seen where someone will pry the accessory with a tool to get the proper tension on the belt, tighten the bolts and not check that the accessory is straight, leaving the pulley askew, and throwing the belt.
Keep in mind that if one belt throws it will quite possibly hit and throw the belts around it as well.
Pop the hood and post a couple of photos.
KNOT-HEAD (12-04-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!