C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 12-21-2018, 07:41 AM
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member

no offense taken..we all love and enjoy life here .Enjoy the holiday with your family... save me some Crawfish ...
The Following User Says Thank You to fishslayer143 For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:23 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fishslayer143 View Post
no offense taken..we all love and enjoy life here .Enjoy the holiday with your family... save me some Crawfish ...
Thanks,
GREAT! You are #461 on this thread so we must be doing something right. We don't really follow any set protocol....that's too boring! I started this because I "STUPIDLY" bought a so called 350/500 hp engine off Craigslist....big mistake. I first was trying to figure out the horse power based on the supposed components installed in this fraudulent rebuild. That opened up a big can of worms. These guys were on me like white on rice. Especially pauldana. He didn't sugar coat or mix words....JUST STRAIT TO THE POINT. Sometimes that point was pretty sharp. Most got fed up with my cry babying and quit offering advice. I was always trying to cut corners and cost. Every time I did...it cost me twice as much to correct the problem. Finally these guys (beleave it of not, most of them are DAMN YANKEES too) helped me pull my head out my *** and directed me on the PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS! HALLELUJAH!!!

Sha!... Me, I hope y'all (southern for "all of you") hang in dare wit me an da rest of dem people on here. "Laissez les bon temps rouler" (Cajun for "Let the good times roll"). fishslayer143, please bare with me, I have to explain a lot of what I say to these Yankees. Just seems like a lot of them don't speak good English. Hell, I can and I flunked English 101 in college....lol!

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
MERRY CHRISTMAS and have a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
We have a big crawfish (mud bugs) boil at my house for Easter. We just stick with the typical "JUNK" food for our Christmas, family get together (Fried turkey, smoked ham, cornbread dressing, boudin, jambalaya, southern fried chicken, roasted Boston Butt, candied yams, rice and gravy made with a dark roue from the Boston Butt drippings, potato salad, corn on the cob, green bean casserole, brockly casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, then top it off with a big piece of pecan pie and a long nap). Beats me why I have a hard time loosing weight! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldana
off current subject...'

how is she running? does she have enough HP for your needs?

any good stories of hitting the pedal to the metal?

she burn enough rubber for you?

Paul:-)
WHAT-UP!
No wonder you have more money than God. You are VERY resourceful. The ball and chain gave me the skinny on the two of you's conversation yesterday. I was and still am impressed with your ingenuity and thoughtfulness. I can't thank you enough! I will send you a private message discussing the details. In answer to your question, I had finally had the opportunity to actually drive the car for a single round trip without the need for a tow truck...lol! I currently have 2700 miles logged on to the engine. Sadly I must inform you the car is currently in the shop and has been for ten consecutive days.

As you know, the engine has been pledged with questionable oil leak/consumption issues. I attached pictures of the replacement valve covers and PCV valve I was going to have installed. I was replacing approximately 1 qt of oil approximately every 200 miles. I contacted the warranty tech at Blueprint to discuss my concerns. He suggested, when the shop removed the existing valve covers, they pull one of the rocker arm studs then insert a "snake camera" into the head to see if there had been any noticeable oil residue. He said they apply a sealant on the threads of the stud. At times, there is not enough of the sealant applied to the threads on the stud and this will allow oil to penetrate the head. The shop owner was about to take a three week vacation (he must be filthy rich like you) and wanted to be present while work was done on the car. I agreed with him because of the past issues I have had with the quality workmanship in the past. SO!

They started on the Monday of last week. The valve covers have been replaced. The internal portion of the engine has been inspected. The engine has been given a good cleaning and know new leaks have been found. They also eliminated the oil consumption concern. They are now in the process of tracking down electrical issues and other "hopefully" minor issues. I have pictures I will attach at a later date showing the extent of the work required to track down poor electrical connections under the dash.
  1. The engine is running great.
  2. I am NEVER satisfied with the HP, especially after seeing the 1500 HP Vet at Asylum Motor Sports. I also discussed the HP results depicted on both, the Blueprint and Asylum DINO test results. The Blueprint tech, (like you) explained the reason for the two different readings and suggested some possible changes that could be made at a later date to increase HP if I elect to go that route. He also explained (like you), in his opinion the engine is the best match for this particular car as well as my driving needs. I have to agree with both of you.
  3. I haven't been brave enough to "hit the pedal to the metal" as of yet. Not fear of handling the car but potential damage that may occur during the process. Remember, I blew the engine in my first true love (57 Chevy Belair) while showing my *** drag racing and have never recovered from my despair and depression...lol! I have had a few uplifting confrontations with rich kids (may have been one of your spoiled rotten sons...lol) pulling up next to me at a traffic light, in the show room floor car their daddy bought for them, they took and had loud pipes installed on. For instance one guy (an older gentleman) pulled up next to me, rolled down his window, looked in my direction and revved up his stock high performance engine installed his brand new high dollar car. I was the essence of "Mister Cool". Emotionless, I simply, slightly looked in his direction, calmly reached down and fit the electric cutout switch and temporarily increased the rpm's to about 4k, turned, looked him directly in his "DEER IN THE HEADLIGHT EYES", then closed the cutouts. The dumbfounded expression on his face at that time was priceless! I put down my window on the passenger side of the car and explained to him "You have to get old....but you don't HAVE TO GROW UP"! In a Russian, broken English accent reply, he smiled showed me a large font long word tattoo on his MUSCULAR right forearm, saying, "Yes...This is why I came to this country!" Then we nodded to each other and both went on our separate way. Glad he didn't pull out sub machine gun (like on TV) and riddle my car with bullets...LOL! I have had at least three other similar incidents as this. I don't have to burn rubber, endanger the general public or even show my ***... (well just a little...lol!). Just unleashing the growl of "THE BEAST" has awakened the doubt of my potential adversary, causing to slowly drive off with their tails between their legs. I would like to leave that doubt with them!
  4. Have not intentionally smoked a single tire. I have had a couple of "eye opening" incidents while attempting to pull out onto a busy highway.... YUP! DAT-BITCH-AL-RUN!!!!!
I'll have more long drawn out stories later. Right now I have to make sure the oil leak, electrical and rain water leaks are resolved before I do much more to the car. I do have a cool emblem I had to ask your opinion on and get recommendations, first if it is appropriate for the car, then a recommendation where to install it.

Technically a 396 Turbo-Jet was a 396 big block engine. The 396 Turbo-Fire was the small block engine. I could not find any Turbo-Fire decals so I bought three of these. If you agree, I plan to remove the stock decal on both finders and replace them with these, then install the third one on the air breather cover. I know this will not be politically correct, but I think they look good and only Professionals such as your self will condemn me for the minor infraction. I'm not sure if the picture I attached is the exact emblem I purchased. I don't have the emblem in hand. I compared the flags on the decal to the original ones on the car and they are an exact match. The only discrepancy is "Turbo-Jet! As you know, your approval and advice is invaluable to me. don't beat me up too much. If you know of more authentic ones, let me know what and where I can find them and I will return these to Summit. Hope these will work. I LIKE UM!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,112 Times in 1,023 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Your car do what you like..most throwing rocks usually have no advice so dont take it personally.
You got enough miles on it to romp on it just dont float valves.
Most kids dont understand these cars (some new ones are fast though)...when they are pacing you at 40, and your cams still loping they dont quite know what to think.
Best to leave them wondering sometimes, cheap insurance is good.

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 02-06-2019 at 01:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuisinartvette For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 PM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Your car do what you like..most throwing rocks usually have no advice so dont take it personally.
You got enough miles on it to romp on it just dont float valves.
Most kids dont understand these cars (some new ones are fast though)...when they are pacing you at 40, and your cams still loping they dont quite know what to think.
Best to leave them wondering sometimes, cheap insurance is good.
Thanks cuisinartvette,
I have learned some VERY expensive and depressing lessons while dealing with this car based on the limited amount of knowledge that not only I have but also the total ignorance of at least five professional mechanics I have used. Pauldana has thoroughly enjoyed beating the hell out of me on this site, explaining "IN DETAIL" as many of the STUPID AND COSTLY poor decisions I have pulled out my *** in the past 2.5 years I have owned this seemingly bottomless money pit I lovingly call my 1977 L82 Corvette. With the combined efforts of all of you (yes even pauldana) the mechanic shop actually takes notes on the suggestions all of you make and are solving problems that have plagued them and me for 2.5 years. I've never been described as an intelligent person....mostly just a KNOT-HEAD. I have been able to survive the school of hard knocks for the past 68 years but my skin is now thin and bones are brittle. I just don't heal as quickly as I have in the past.

Now, know matter how trivial it may seem to educated professionals such as yourself and all the others, I'm going to ask before I leap. I had been looking for 396 emblems to install on the new valve covers I bought to replace the cheep covers the new Blueprint engine came with. The warranty rep. with Blueprint found these 396 emblems and thought it would match the make and model of the car. I bought them and I think they will look great as a replacement to the stock emblems currently attached to the fenders. The only issue is the 936 Turbo-Jet was a large block engine and what I have would have been called a 396 Turbo-Fire but those emblems are not to be found. With all the effort everyone on this site has spent attempting to educate me on the CORRECT way to do things, I thought it would be a slap in the face if after all the trials and tribulations this group has lead me through, for me to put something on the car that would not appropriately state exactly what engine is in the car.

So with that being said and the recommendations of other learned people as yourself....these emblems will work just fine because only 1 out of 1,000,000 people will actually know the difference between the factory 396 Turbo Fire and 396 Turbo Jet.

I have an older gentleman that heard of my car from a wealthy lawyer we both know. He has a new Corvette with a 1,000 hp engine in it. I don't remember the year or model. The lawyer has the new Dodge Demon with the 1,000 hp engine. Its funny when I hear how they are empresses with a 77 having a 396 approximately 495 hp at the flywheel engine in it. I don't want or need to race anyone. All I have to do is open the electric cutouts, rev the engine and look at the dear in the headlights expression on each and everyone of their faces, then watch as they slowly drive off. That is plenty enough for me. I blew the engine on my first love. A 57 Chevy Belair and did not have the money to repair or replace the engine. That was 48 years ago and I can close my eyes and see that moment second by second in my head. I am not about to take the chance of doing the same thing to this car. Hell, I don't have another 48 years left in me to have the same chance again.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-06-2019, 06:48 PM
stumpshot
CF Senior Member

Mother of God! I'm going down to the boat and grab my waders. The bull $hit has reached the the window sills. This much personal information has gone past technical into unbearably boring.
The Following User Says Thank You to stumpshot For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member

Chevy 396 Turbo-Fire SMALL BLOCK?? .....what did that come in?
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
73racevette
CF Senior Member

Google knows lots...

Amazon Amazon

And yes, Amazon has everything...
The Following User Says Thank You to 73racevette For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member

Google doesn't know either .. so .......??....it was stated here the 396 Turbo Jet was all big blocks ... but 396 Turbo-Fire was a smallblock.... Ive never seen one... what did it come in??......... btw.. Amazon doesn't have one either

Last edited by fishslayer143; 02-07-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spilled my beer
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stumpshot View Post
Mother of God! I'm going down to the boat and grab my waders. The bull $hit has reached the the window sills. This much personal information has gone past technical into unbearably boring.
Stumpshot,
If you can't take the heat...stay out the kitchen. Know one is forcing you to read or be a part of the discussion.

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Chevy 396 Turbo-Fire SMALL BLOCK?? .....what did that come in?
I'm not sure what car that engine came in. I got the information from the Blueprint engine warranty representative. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misrepresent the engine I have.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Google doesn't know either .. so .......??....it was stated here the 396 Turbo Jet was all big blocks ... but 396 Turbo-Fire was a smallblock.... Ive never seen one... what did it come in??......... btw.. Amazon doesn't have one either
I got the information from the Blueprint engine warranty rep. I will get more information from him and post it here. I didn't realize this was going to be of that much interest.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,112 Times in 1,023 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hey at least you arent gluing an SS emblem to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuisinartvette For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Hey at least you arent gluing an SS emblem to it.
Welllllll, Now that you mention it!!!!! No, I'm really trying to stay accurate. I still plan to keep the L82 emblem on the hood. I want to check with the people in the know, here before I did something (typical of me) stupid and replace the stock emblem on the finder with the new 396 emblem.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

OK! Here is the best update I can give about the Turbo-Fire and the Turbo-Jet. The gentleman in the warranty department of Blueprint Engines took the time to give me a website that spells everything out. https://www.thoughtco.com/350-hp-turbo-fire-327-726350

It started in the 50's when the jet era began. Turbo Fire was the designation for Chevy's small block engine. Turbo Jet was their designation for the big block engines. Chevy never made a 396 small block. Blueprint takes a 350 small block and makes it into a 396. That is what I have. So the most accurate designation for my engine would be a 396 Turbo Fire because it is made from a 350 small block but it's a Blueprint engine not a Chevy.

The jury is still out weather I put on the 396 Turbo emblem and get beat up by the purest or find another 396 emblem. I really like the way the Turbo emblem looks. I may just go ahead and take the beatings.

KNOT-HEAD

Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
jackson
CF Senior Member

It's yours, it's not a survivor, it's not restored, it does displace 396ci.

If it suits your vanity, put the 396 TJ badging on it.

It may make for lively discussion at cruise-in (e.g. 396 '65-only vette motor etc) but you'll enjoy it and meet more people.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackson For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackson View Post
It's yours, it's not a survivor, it's not restored, it does displace 396ci.

If it suits your vanity, put the 396 TJ badging on it.

It may make for lively discussion at cruise-in (e.g. 396 '65-only vette motor etc) but you'll enjoy it and meet more people.
Thanks,
Others agree with you so I feel pretty confident I will not be crossing the line by very much if I stick with this emblem. The others I have found are just plain chrome plated numbers. This one matches the colors and flag orientation as the original.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 PM
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD View Post
OK! Here is the best update I can give about the Turbo-Fire and the Turbo-Jet. The gentleman in the warranty department of Blueprint Engines took the time to give me a website that spells everything out. https://www.thoughtco.com/350-hp-turbo-fire-327-726350

It started in the 50's when the jet era began. Turbo Fire was the designation for Chevy's small block engine. Turbo Jet was their designation for the big block engines. Chevy never made a 396 small block. Blueprint takes a 350 small block and makes it into a 396. That is what I have. So the most accurate designation for my engine would be a 396 Turbo Fire because it is made from a 350 small block but it's a Blueprint engine not a Chevy.

The jury is still out weather I put on the 396 Turbo emblem and get beat up by the purest or find another 396 emblem. I really like the way the Turbo emblem looks. I may just go ahead and take the beatings.

KNOT-HEAD

THAT was my point.. there never was a 396 Turbo-Fire from chevy.. ... put whatever emblem you want .its your car ......no one will trash your car over emblems... .. ..My hood emblems were custom made.. They say ......525HP Perf. Pac....now, if you chop the top and put spinners with hydraulics under it, make it hop, then we will probably laugh

Last edited by fishslayer143; 02-11-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: had to pee
KNOT-HEAD (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM
KNOT-HEAD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

THAT was my point.. there never was a 396 Turbo-Fire from chevy.. ... put whatever emblem you want .its your car ......no one will trash your car over emblems... .. ..My hood emblems were custom made.. They say ......525HP Perf. Pac....now, if you chop the top and put spinners with hydraulics under it, make it hop, then we will probably laugh
Thanks,
I would NEVER put the hydraulics under it to make it hop, or spinners. Remember, I was born and raised in Louisiana. Now a lift kit, pair of 16" Gumbo Mudders, 10,000# Warren Power Take Off Wench and a two gun, gun rack ..... Is another story!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 PM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

Like this?
I've got the suspension lifted 12 inches, solid rear axle, transfer case and solid front axle installed.
The frame mods were a headache, but worth it in the end.
New hood is fitted, front nose on order and starting body work.
All running gear and the V8 came out of my 75 Jeep.
And that's how its done up right...

The Following User Says Thank You to OldCarBum For This Useful Post:
KNOT-HEAD (02-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: