C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Thanks for the input. I agree, a crate engine will not match the quality of an engine that is designed and built by a highly qualified technician. My diesel helicopter mechanic friend, that owns a 76 Corvette, in cherry condition had a football party at his house yesterday and naturally the first thing I ask him about was the crate engines I have found. He starts trying to explain the lift and duration of a cam, the flow of the heads, the correct vacuum pressure and how much will be lost by using an incompatible cam...bla, bla, bla.!!!! All that went right over my balding head. I feel I am not even close to the point of intelligently picking the correct parts to assemble a state of the art engine I would love to have. I have to depend on others and hopefully will be more successful in the future than I have been in the past. A little knowledge is a VERY expensive thing.

KNOT-HEAD
KH: Most of the forum is happy to share experience.
The problem is building the engine YOU WANT!
We already know what we want! lol

What do you want from your engine and how much do you want to spend?
These are the important questions for now! eek

R
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
You need to go talk to a competent engine builder, or 2 or 3. We can all give advice, but a guy who earns his living building power is the best guy to talk too. I had my new engine built by a local shop. 15 min after entering his shop, I felt comfortable that I was at the right place. I fix jets for a living, but Im not an engine builder. Why are you trusting those mechs who are not engine builders to build your new engine? Some of the guys here know what they are talking about, but you dont hear what they are saying. Idk, most of us can assemble an engine and make it run, but there is an art to marrying up the right parts to meet your expectations. Craigslist engines, sorry you got taken.

Thanks for the reply,
I have recently been talking to more compliant and trust worthy mechanics as well as engine builders. I just tried to take the cheep route in the beginning and that turned out to be a very expensive education. I have been a VERY happy married man for over forty years. She has put up with a great deal of my stupidity in the past but at this late date when we are at retirement age, her understanding and patience with my stupidity is wearing thin. The money I am wasting is hers also, so I really need to do a better job and not just through away more money on this car. It seams just putting a crate engine in the car will be the most economical and reliable route to take.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Thanks for the reply,
I have recently been talking to more compliant and trust worthy mechanics as well as engine builders. I just tried to take the cheep route in the beginning and that turned out to be a very expensive education. I have been a VERY happy married man for over forty years. She has put up with a great deal of my stupidity in the past but at this late date when we are at retirement age, her understanding and patience with my stupidity is wearing thin. The money I am wasting is hers also, so I really need to do a better job and not just through away more money on this car. It seams just putting a crate engine in the car will be the most economical and reliable route to take.

KNOT-HEAD
^^^^^^^^^^BOLDED^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree 100%

Lets do this
instead.... how much money do you have to spend for the engine alone... and what type of power are you looking for? lets help find a good crate engine for you.

Last edited by pauldana; 09-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
KH: Most of the forum is happy to share experience.
The problem is building the engine YOU WANT!
We already know what we want! lol

What do you want from your engine and how much do you want to spend?
These are the important questions for now! eek

R
Thanks,
Yup. A great many of the people on this site are very competent and have the knowledge, tools, facilities and money to build the "best of the best", like we all would love to have. The majority of us only have the DREAM! We have to learn to accept the facts, sooner or later. When I started looking at Corvettes a guy I worked with had been dealing with vintage Corvettes for many years. Naturally I kept bringing him advertisements from car magazines that listed 77 Corvette's in the $8k price range. He kept showing me 77 Corvettes in the $20k price range. But I am hard headed (KNOT-HEAD) and bought a 77 that had a new paint job and looked good over one that was mechanically sound... BIG MISTAKE! Like the guy tried to tell me after a few weeks of tolerating my ignorance and hard hardheadedness, "IT'S A FORTY YEAR OLD CAR....EITHER YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY OR YOU ARE GOING TO PAY MORE FOR ONE THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS SPENT THE MONEY ON!!!!! He also said "if you get one that you spend the money upgrading, at least you will know what you will actually have and not what someone else said you have". Again, I made the mistake of buying the wrong car, for the wrong reasons and choosing the wrong people to work on it. One of the many faults with a KNOT-HEAD such as myself, we hate to admit we are wrong and refuse to just lie there and take a beating. So, I will get up, dust off my cloths, take the WELL DESERVED *** chewing from my wife, the humiliating comments and laughter from my friends, co-workers and family, then proceed to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, as I usually do....lol!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,650 Likes on 2,915 Posts

Post us some photos of your car.
We like photos here on the forum.
An option you may want to think about since you are on a budget and looking at the over all picture, is to sell what you have and take the time to find a corvette with everything you want already finished.
Many people on this forum have lost thousands of dollars after they complete their restoration and sell their beloved cars.
You could save a bundle on a finished car and do nothing but routine maintenance for years to come making the experience better for both you and your wife.
Ill have much more invested (or lost) in my corvette when it's finished than the car will be worth.
This is just a thought and not even an opinion on what you should do,
My 73 is a nice drivable car that I enjoy.
Im collecting all the parts I need to do a complete resto/mod, and I've been at it for over two years and still have a ways to go before I can begin.
My wife and I are planning to retire very soon, and we have several other interests that take priority over the corvette.
Ill complete it someday and in the meantime I do a lot of research, bench racing and enjoying life.
KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:20 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pauldana
^^^^^^^^^^BOLDED^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree 100%

Lets do this
instead.... how much money do you have to spend for the engine alone... and what type of power are you looking for? lets help find a good crate engine for you.

Thanks for understanding my situation,
I paid $8.25k the car and so far have put around $20k in additional parts and labor. I currently am into the most recent mechanic shop for around $3k. and all I have is a car with no working engine. I would like to have 400+ HP with the sound of my old 57 Chevy Belair 283 bored to a 292 and 375 Iskey cam, I had back in 1969. I need to verify this with the mechanic shop but I think it may cost as much as $3k to have my original block checked out by a competent machine shop and re-assembled. The problem with that is I will have a 350/300hp engine and after all this crap, I'm not going to be content with that HP. I wasn't happy with the 220hp the L82 had so 300 is not going to be that much of a jump. I liked the sound of the Mother Thumper cam but everyone has said I am sacrificing HP for sound. I would like to find a happy medium. I'm not going to race the car, just drive around town and go to the local car shows. I would like to have something to be proud of not an expensive, old piece of junk. With that being said. I have found a 383/420hp dressed engine at JEGS for $4.5k. I don't know what it will sound like and if it will be too tall for the hood clearance on my car. I don't want to have to purchase and paint a new hood. I can also salvage some of the parts from both my original L82 engine and the embarrassing junk engine I purchased on Craigslist and install them on a crate engine.
1. New 7qt oil pan
2. New D.U.I. Street/Strip distributor
3. New Melling high volume oil pimp
4. New SUM-G350 oil pickup
5. Original Edelbrock high rise intake manifold
6. Original Quadrojet or Edelbrock carburetor

I know if I buy a 383/420hp crate block and put my intake manifold and carburetor on it I will loose HP but don't know much. I also don't know what the crate engine will sound like. I really liked the sound of the Mother Thumper cam. Well, that's about it. I have a rich man's desires, with a poor man's pocket book. Got any ideas!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Post us some photos of your car.
We like photos here on the forum.
An option you may want to think about since you are on a budget and looking at the over all picture, is to sell what you have and take the time to find a corvette with everything you want already finished.
Many people on this forum have lost thousands of dollars after they complete their restoration and sell their beloved cars.
You could save a bundle on a finished car and do nothing but routine maintenance for years to come making the experience better for both you and your wife.
Ill have much more invested (or lost) in my corvette when it's finished than the car will be worth.
This is just a thought and not even an opinion on what you should do,
My 73 is a nice drivable car that I enjoy.
Im collecting all the parts I need to do a complete resto/mod, and I've been at it for over two years and still have a ways to go before I can begin.
My wife and I are planning to retire very soon, and we have several other interests that take priority over the corvette.
Ill complete it someday and in the meantime I do a lot of research, bench racing and enjoying life.
Thanks,
I have thought of exactly what you have mentioned in saying take my losses and just look for another car. The problem is, I have too much invested in the car and right now I don't even have an engine in it. I also have two engines that are disassembled and will need to do something with the parts. If I get a good dependable engine with the right HP and sound, I will be happy with the car. I'm looking at about another $6k to accomplish that, over and above what I have already spent. Plus, who's to say, the next Corvette will not have some of the same issues I have already dealt with on this one.
1. New 100% replaced upgrade A/C kit.
2. New sound, heat proofing and carpet. (still have to replace the two inside door panels and seats)
3. New dash.
4. New sound system.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for understanding my situation,
I paid $8.25k the car and so far have put around $20k in additional parts and labor. I currently am into the most recent mechanic shop for around $3k. and all I have is a car with no working engine. I would like to have 400+ HP with the sound of my old 57 Chevy Belair 283 bored to a 292 and 375 Iskey cam, I had back in 1969. I need to verify this with the mechanic shop but I think it may cost as much as $3k to have my original block checked out by a competent machine shop and re-assembled. The problem with that is I will have a 350/300hp engine and after all this crap, I'm not going to be content with that HP. I wasn't happy with the 220hp the L82 had so 300 is not going to be that much of a jump. I liked the sound of the Mother Thumper cam but everyone has said I am sacrificing HP for sound. I would like to find a happy medium. I'm not going to race the car, just drive around town and go to the local car shows. I would like to have something to be proud of not an expensive, old piece of junk. With that being said. I have found a 383/420hp dressed engine at JEGS for $4.5k. I don't know what it will sound like and if it will be too tall for the hood clearance on my car. I don't want to have to purchase and paint a new hood. I can also salvage some of the parts from both my original L82 engine and the embarrassing junk engine I purchased on Craigslist and install them on a crate engine.
1. New 7qt oil pan
2. New D.U.I. Street/Strip distributor
3. New Melling high volume oil pimp
4. New SUM-G350 oil pickup
5. Original Edelbrock high rise intake manifold
6. Original Quadrojet or Edelbrock carburetor

I know if I buy a 383/420hp crate block and put my intake manifold and carburetor on it I will loose HP but don't know much. I also don't know what the crate engine will sound like. I really liked the sound of the Mother Thumper cam. Well, that's about it. I have a rich man's desires, with a poor man's pocket book. Got any ideas!

KNOT-HEAD

I would suggest to stop thinking so much about the sound,,, The sound is determined more so via the exhaust pips headers and mufflers type of engine, heads, and size.
Yes the Thumper Cam can give a lope... and take away power... don't be a all show and no go Vette... to many ricers like that out there already...
Sounding loud and cool until the ricer wipes your ***... then everyone laughs at the sound...
So you have $5K to spend on an engine?? ok cool.. lets look at $5K and under...

The stuff you have... sale it.
KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3961CT/10002/-1

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Performance-19351532-405HP-CRATE/dp/B01FRGM62G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536606667& sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=crate+engine+gm+396

Last edited by pauldana; 09-10-2018 at 03:11 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,249 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Good Choice

KNOT-HEAD (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I would suggest to stop thinking so much about the sound,,, The sound is determined more so via the exhaust pips headers and mufflers type of engine, heads, and size.
Yes the Thumper Cam can give a lope... and take away power... don't be a all show and no go Vette... to many ricers like that out there already...
Sounding loud and cool until the ricer wipes your ***... then everyone laughs at the sound...
So you have $5K to spend on an engine?? ok cool.. lets look at $5K and under...

The stuff you have... sale it.

Thanks,
Yes, I need to find a happy midway point between sound and power. I already have the loud... I just want to add the lope. I am not planing to race ANYONE. I blew the engine on my first car street racing and have regretted it ever sines. I talked to the mechanic shop earlier today. He agrees, the route I need to take is get the 383/420hp short block and put any salvageable quality parts from the two existing engines and install them in the new 383. I will loose some power with my high rise intake and carburetor but I will also save a good chunk of money.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
That is the first time anyone mentioned a 396. Will all my 350 stuff bolt up to it? I have been told my 700r4 transmission I just bought and had rebuilt is only good for 450hp. I was really looking at staying under $4k now that I will need to pay the shop to transfer my existing parts... but that would be a nice engine to have... Thanks again.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
That is the first time anyone mentioned a 396. Will all my 350 stuff bolt up to it? I have been told my 700r4 transmission I just bought and had rebuilt is only good for 450hp. I was really looking at staying under $4k now that I will need to pay the shop to transfer my existing parts... but that would be a nice engine to have... Thanks again.

KNOT-HEAD
A 396 is still a 350 block.. different crank
I would go long block done finished like I sent your

1. WARRENTY... of short block they will look to blame your mechanic and the mechanic will blam the short block.. you loose
2. It’s MATCHED components... really, how many times do you want to redo things? Do it right the first time and save money
3. Russian saying.. cheap pays twice... (my wife is russian):-)
4. Do you want to learn the same lesson over again you just learned?
5. That 396 ... stuff it in (cheap) forget it and run forever
6. Your tires will not let 400hp hot the ground.. unless you run 80-100 tread ware like I do.. tires good for 5-10,00 miles

KNOT-HEAD (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

A 396 is still a 350 block.. different crank
I would go long block done finished like I sent your

1. WARRENTY... of short block they will look to blame your mechanic and the mechanic will blam the short block.. you loose
2. It’s MATCHED components... really, how many times do you want to redo things? Do it right the first time and save money
3. Russian saying.. cheap pays twice... (my wife is russian):-)
4. Do you want to learn the same lesson over again you just learned?
5. That 396 ... stuff it in (cheap) forget it and run forever
6. Your tires will not let 400hp hot the ground.. unless you run 80-100 tread ware like I do.. tires good for 5-10,00 miles

Thanks for shooting straight,
You brought up a lot of good points. I know, I know, I know....I'm still thinking of the almighty dollar but that $5.5k hurts. I am going to look very close at the 396 and talk to JEGS. I can save some money by reusing some of the quality parts I have, if they will remove those parts from the crate engine and deduct the cost of the part. What about the HP and torque on the 700r4 transmission. I don't want to tear it up...when the "stupid" comes out in me. I'm not planning to race but I am a "KNOT-HEAD" and still act an old fool occasionally!!!!! Sounds like you have a good wife. Don't tell anyone but mine is a "Mississippi Delta Red Neck". She was raised eating potatoes and picking cotton. She looks at things a little differently. Thanks again for bringing up the 396. You sure have got my interest up.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for shooting straight,
You brought up a lot of good points. I know, I know, I know....I'm still thinking of the almighty dollar but that $5.5k hurts. I am going to look very close at the 396 and talk to JEGS. I can save some money by reusing some of the quality parts I have, if they will remove those parts from the crate engine and deduct the cost of the part. What about the HP and torque on the 700r4 transmission. I don't want to tear it up...when the "stupid" comes out in me. I'm not planning to race but I am a "KNOT-HEAD" and still act an old fool occasionally!!!!! Sounds like you have a good wife. Don't tell anyone but mine is a "Mississippi Delta Red Neck". She was raised eating potatoes and picking cotton. She looks at things a little differently. Thanks again for bringing up the 396. You sure have got my interest up.

KNOT-HEAD
Bolded: NO... No they will not..And if they did your warranty is once again , out the door...... cut your losses while you are ahead... sale what you have left over, if you can... let it go... lesson learned... you are asking fo more problems.. I get it... been there,,, but I have wasted more money redoing and fixing **** that I cheeped out on then I would have EVER spent if I did it right the first time..

And as far as your trans and rear, as long as your running stock size tires and standard tread ware hardness, your 95% fine... 5% **** happens..

Last edited by pauldana; 09-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Youll love the torque of that 396..it will still sound good but shred tires when you want. Looks just like a 350noone would know.
Tq is king on the st! With a 700r thats gonna rock, still plenty driveable.
random one off youtube

Last edited by cv67; 09-11-2018 at 11:09 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Bolded: NO... No they will not..And if they did your warranty is once again , out the door...... cut your losses while you are ahead... sale what you have left over, if you can... let it go... lesson learned... you are asking fo more problems.. I get it... been there,,, but I have wasted more money redoing and fixing **** that I cheeped out on then I would have EVER spent if I did it right the first time..

And as far as your trans and rear, as long as your running stock size tires and standard tread ware hardness, your 95% fine... 5% **** happens..

Thanks,
Again, your input has been vary helpful. I didn't realize that would kill the warranty. That would have been a BIG mistake to save a couple hundred bucks. I am really leaning to this engine. Plenty of pluses. The only negative can see is the additional $1k but I think this engine would make this a very special car and would be easier to sell if I got in a bind. I run stock tires so the transmission will not be an issue. I have asked my diesel helicopter friend for his input before I take the plunge. He is on traveling today and will respond to my email once he gets a chance. I think he is going to be in favor of this engine also.

KNOT-HEAD

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Youll love the torque of that 396..it will still sound good but shred tires when you want. Looks just like a 350noone would know.
Tq is king on the st! With a 700r thats gonna rock, still plenty driveable.
random one off youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUYl76lp3_g

Thanks for the video.
The engine sounds great.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Almost any small block will fit under the hood. Depends on what you stick on as a intake manifold. I'm surprised you don't have clearance problems with the high rise manifold as it is.
Don't forget that Isky still makes cams. If you had one you liked you can probably get another just like it. Make sure the engine builder, if that is the way you go, understands all your wants.
A shot of nitrous is just a flick of the switch away.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
KNOT-HEAD (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stumpshot
Almost any small block will fit under the hood. Depends on what you stick on as a intake manifold. I'm surprised you don't have clearance problems with the high rise manifold as it is.
Don't forget that Isky still makes cams. If you had one you liked you can probably get another just like it. Make sure the engine builder, if that is the way you go, understands all your wants.
A shot of nitrous is just a flick of the switch away.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct. What I have is a close fit under the hood. I also have a 1/2" spacer (forgot the actual name) between the intake and the carburetor. The guy I bought the junk engine from. I was told that was for better oxygenation of the fuel at high rpm's. I'm not interested high rpm's because I don't want to race, I just like to get from "0" to "60" QUICKLY!!!! I really liked the sound of the Isky cam I had back then but that was my first car and ANYTHING would have been great. I don't have the ability to design or build an engine. That is why the responses from the good, knowledgeable people here are very much appreciated. I also have my "diesel helicopter mechanic" buddy to advise me. A couple of guys here had me convened a JEGS 396 would be a great engine for my car and I was sold on it. I wanted my buddies opinion before I pulled the trigger and ordered it. He knows me and my car. Remember I'm a "KNOT-HEAD" and it's hard for someone to change my mind on damn near anything, but he knows me well enough to bring up "my" deficiencies....the ones that get me into trouble...especially with MY WIFE!!!! He brought up some good points. One of which, the 350 and 383 are tried and true engines. There are a lot of them on the road and not many 396"s. Don't know why the 396 is not popular but I have made to many poor judgment calls concerning this car and am trying to cut my losses. I wish I could build an engine....I really do! That is just not going to happen, so the advice from people like you and everyone else taking their valuable time to listen to an old fat man reminisce and ramble on about things he is ignorant about.
My buddy talked me into going back to the original 383 idea. He kept bringing up different cams, heads and so on. The problem is (that one of you good people brought to my attention) if I alter the JEGS crate engine in any way, it would void the warranty. I'm in enough trouble already because I used shade tree mechanics instead of mechanics that will warranty their work. With all that being said, I am now leaning toward a JEGS 383/430HP crate (undressed) engine. It has aluminum heads (with specs I don't understand), roller cam (with specs I don't understand), 30 months or 50k mile warranty for $4+k. I'm a KNOT-HEAD so I'm still looking for something with more horsepower and within the same price range. I have also been looking at Summit.

Thanks again,
KNOT-HEAD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!