C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:34 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Hmm.... Not to be too blunt here, but seems you are in over your head a long ways with this...

Everyone has to start somewhere, so some points to clear up with this thread...

The 350, 383, 396 and many other variants are all pretty much the same engine, just different crank/bore diameter. The outside of the engine is all the same. There are even some others starting with 265 or something running all the way through 400 and more aftermarket ones that are even larger that are all almost identical with the possible exception of a few accessory bolt hole location changes, all of these will bolt right in.
Jegs does not sell a JEGS brand engine that I can see anyway.
Jegs does have the Blueprint brand of engine that I believe you are referring to.
Blueprint sells engines and from what I have seen and heard is a reputable builder. Their 396 is likely a good option for you as a drop in.
Blueprint engines are not blueprinted engines necessarily. That is the engine builders name, not the method of building.
JEGS, nor anyone is going to sell you a truly blueprinted engine unless you have a builder build if for you specifically.

Hopefully some of his clears up some of your confusion. Just go buy a chevy small block crate engine (350/383/396,etc) and bolt it in, you will be happy. Recommended crate engines that I have heard good reviews from are Chevrolet performance and Blueprint. I am sure there are several others, but you likely can't go wrong with either of these from wherever you buy them from. Both have great warranties and if you pay attention to the specs and get something with your desired HP, you will be happy.
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

What 73racervette said is spot on.

Since you seem to want a more "hands-off" approach (not neccessarily learning what makes one motor better than another, just want to drop a motor in and not have to mess with it), crate motor is the way to go. The Blueprint 383 is tried and true, been proven many times over and is reliable and makes good power.

As was already mentioned, the different between a 350, 383, 396 etc... is the stroke length. The motor is identical externally, just has a crank with a longer stroke.

What carb do you have on your current motor? When you get the crate motor, the only things you should have to do is set the timing, and retune the carb. If you have a Holley, you can most likely find a local tuning shop to dial in the A/F ratio for you. If you have the Quadrajet, I would reccomend sending it to Lars along with all the info on the motor you are putting it on so he can tune it correctly for you.

You could buy the best crate motor you can afford, but if you have a bad running carb and poorly set timing it will still be slow and unresponsive. Tuning the carb and setting the timing are things you can do fairly easily at home if you are willing to learn and do your research, and it will save you a good amount of money. But otherwise there are pros out there who can do it if you have the cash.
KNOT-HEAD (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Turn Key Ready!

KH: I was in a similar situation.
I had more knowlege than you.
But limited tools and experience.

I bought all my parts about $6K.
And had one shop do all the work.
That way they were responsible for everything.
It was a smart move on my part.
If there is a problem, most shops will blame it on the 'other guy'.

They did all the work and turned down the timing so it would pass smog!
That was long ago.

JMHO

R

KNOT-HEAD (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

remember:

There is no replacement for displacement,, GO 396

KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:36 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pauldana
remember:

There is no replacement for displacement,, GO 396
While I do agree that a 396 would be even more fun than a 383, in the OP's case it may not be the best fit for his budget. If budget isn't really an issue (it sounds like it is in this case though), definitely go for more displacement. But unless I'm reading it wrong, KNOT-HEAD wants a good reliable motor that can be had affordably and make plenty of power to have fun with. That sounds like the Blueprint 383 to me. 420 hp for under $4k.

I haven't looked into 396s recently, but a few years ago I didn't find a decent crate motor for less than $6k.

KNOT-HEAD, it all depends on what you want and how you plan to drive the car. you want a fun hotrod that can roast the tires and keep up with modern sports cars and will just swap in easily and have a 3 year warranty? Get the Blueprint 383 crate motor, easy choice. You want a real screamer of an engine so you can pull on the new mustangs, camaros, corvettes, etc...? Go big or go home and go for a 396 or a 400 based small block. It will still swap in just fine and make 500+ hp.

The other thing to consider is the rest of the drivetrain. The blueprint 383 is about as much power as you would want with the stock diff, suspension, and tires. In fact, 400 hp can be downright scary if your chassis isn't in great shape. And I personally would put in some solid spicer u joints in the half shafts and driveshaft since you are basically doubling the stock horsepower of the car, that can break things.

KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Hmm.... Not to be too blunt here, but seems you are in over your head a long ways with this...

Everyone has to start somewhere, so some points to clear up with this thread...

The 350, 383, 396 and many other variants are all pretty much the same engine, just different crank/bore diameter. The outside of the engine is all the same. There are even some others starting with 265 or something running all the way through 400 and more aftermarket ones that are even larger that are all almost identical with the possible exception of a few accessory bolt hole location changes, all of these will bolt right in.
Jegs does not sell a JEGS brand engine that I can see anyway.
Jegs does have the Blueprint brand of engine that I believe you are referring to.
Blueprint sells engines and from what I have seen and heard is a reputable builder. Their 396 is likely a good option for you as a drop in.
Blueprint engines are not blueprinted engines necessarily. That is the engine builders name, not the method of building.
JEGS, nor anyone is going to sell you a truly blueprinted engine unless you have a builder build if for you specifically.

Hopefully some of his clears up some of your confusion. Just go buy a chevy small block crate engine (350/383/396,etc) and bolt it in, you will be happy. Recommended crate engines that I have heard good reviews from are Chevrolet performance and Blueprint. I am sure there are several others, but you likely can't go wrong with either of these from wherever you buy them from. Both have great warranties and if you pay attention to the specs and get something with your desired HP, you will be happy.
Thanks. Blunt is good. I need blunt not sugar coating. Yes, I am way over my head but with all the good advice I have been getting here, I think I'm about to see some light at the end of the tunnel (hope it's not a train). My buddy and you good people keep reminding me "every action has a equal and opposite reaction ". I wanted POWER but if I over power the capability of a 41 year old car I then have to add equal POWER to car to be able to match the engine. I wanted the 396/485hp pretty bad but my buddy bought up a lot of negatives I would have to overcome with the rest of the car, so now I'm looking at the 430hp range and primarily in a 383 engine. I found one on JEGS that both my buddy and myself like. I'm trying to figure out how to attack the website url to this Thread but haven't figured that out yet. Summit has a 383/435hp Stage 1 engine with basically the same internal parts for $400 more. But I don't know the difference between Sage 1 and a stripper on stage...LOL. Thanks for clearing up Blueprint. I did think the engines were balanced and blueprinted.
I had not heard of Blueprint before but that's to be expected because I'm a newbie to all this high tech/high performance mumbo jumbo. I quit looking under the hood in 1971 when I figured out I needed to pull the passenger side front wheel off to change one of the plugs on my, then feaunce's 69 Mock 1 mustang. Then the computer age came out and that just tore my drawers. So now 47+ years later I'm trying it again. If the South Louisiana flood of 2016 would not have robbed my ov my 96 Harley Road King, I wouldn't be making a fool of myself (at least concerning cars) and spending my children's inhaitance on a 77 Corvette.
I have been concentrating on both the Chevrolet performance and Blue-Print cars because of the positive comments made on this site. I've been primarily looking on the JEGS and Summit websites. They seem to be the horse to ride. If I can ever figure out how to watch the engine specs to this Thread I will and get everyone's feedback on it.
Thanks again.
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mobird
What 73racervette said is spot on.

Since you seem to want a more "hands-off" approach (not neccessarily learning what makes one motor better than another, just want to drop a motor in and not have to mess with it), crate motor is the way to go. The Blueprint 383 is tried and true, been proven many times over and is reliable and makes good power.

As was already mentioned, the different between a 350, 383, 396 etc... is the stroke length. The motor is identical externally, just has a crank with a longer stroke.

What carb do you have on your current motor? When you get the crate motor, the only things you should have to do is set the timing, and retune the carb. If you have a Holley, you can most likely find a local tuning shop to dial in the A/F ratio for you. If you have the Quadrajet, I would reccomend sending it to Lars along with all the info on the motor you are putting it on so he can tune it correctly for you.

You could buy the best crate motor you can afford, but if you have a bad running carb and poorly set timing it will still be slow and unresponsive. Tuning the carb and setting the timing are things you can do fairly easily at home if you are willing to learn and do your research, and it will save you a good amount of money. But otherwise there are pros out there who can do it if you have the cash.
Thanks,
I would love to build the perfect engine myself but as you and everyone else has noted... I just don't have the know how and ability. I am hoping to one day rebuild the my original L82 engine because it is a serial number match to the car and I think that is important. I'm hoping I can get out from under the junk engine I bought that got me into all this trouble without loosing my pants...I already lost my shirt. So far, I'm leaning toward a Blue-Print or Chevrolet Performance 383/450+/- as recommended by many others on this site. I would love to go with the 396/485hp but just not comfortable with it based on the condition of the car I am putting it in and don't want to spend the money to beef up the car to compensate for the HP. Maybe someday I will. For now, I just want a head turning driver I can be proud of. I have two Edelbrock and the original Quadrojet that came on the L82 engine. I have sent the Quadrojet to two different carb rebuild shops and had four different so called mechanics adjust it on the car and everyone failed. I would appreciate it if you could give me the contact information for Lars and see if they can make it work properly. I have been told, by old school folks the Quadrojet is the best for that engine. Of course everyone has there own opinion. I have purchased all the new up to date test equipment, trying to get the "junk" engine I bought to idle (in and out of gear), run smooth and accelerate well all with the same timing and carb adjustments. I had it pretty good but when I brought it to the current mechanic shop, they found many things the "jack leg" I bought the engine from and had install it really had screwed up badly. Now I am at the point where it is more economical to just walk away from all those issues and start a new with a crate engine. Once the new engine is in and the car is operating as dependable as possible, I will start tinkering with it again. I still remember a little from the "good old days" when I could pull the three speed standard transmission, set it on my chest, wiggle out from under the car, change the disk and pressure plate on my 57 Chevy Belair, under the shade tree, put the transmission back on my chest, wiggle back under the car and stab the pilot shaft back into place, bolt up the transmission, drive shaft, adjust the clutch, single-handedly, crank the engine, light the tires up leaving the driveway and go tare the damn thing up all over again. Sure was a lot of expensive fun, until I blew the engine, couldn't afford to fix or replace it and ended up with a Renault Dalphene... Boy what a transition for an 18 year old kid to have to overcome. Here we are, many years later and jumping back in to the "pit of despair" trying to clay my way out. Anyway, thanks for tuning in hopefully tune in again soon "same time same station".
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

While I do agree that a 396 would be even more fun than a 383, in the OP's case it may not be the best fit for his budget. If budget isn't really an issue (it sounds like it is in this case though), definitely go for more displacement. But unless I'm reading it wrong, KNOT-HEAD wants a good reliable motor that can be had affordably and make plenty of power to have fun with. That sounds like the Blueprint 383 to me. 420 hp for under $4k.

I haven't looked into 396s recently, but a few years ago I didn't find a decent crate motor for less than $6k.

KNOT-HEAD, it all depends on what you want and how you plan to drive the car. you want a fun hotrod that can roast the tires and keep up with modern sports cars and will just swap in easily and have a 3 year warranty? Get the Blueprint 383 crate motor, easy choice. You want a real screamer of an engine so you can pull on the new mustangs, camaros, corvettes, etc...? Go big or go home and go for a 396 or a 400 based small block. It will still swap in just fine and make 500+ hp.

The other thing to consider is the rest of the drivetrain. The blueprint 383 is about as much power as you would want with the stock diff, suspension, and tires. In fact, 400 hp can be downright scary if your chassis isn't in great shape. And I personally would put in some solid spicer u joints in the half shafts and driveshaft since you are basically doubling the stock horsepower of the car, that can break things.

Guess you did not see this or read my previous post:

BLUEPRINT 396

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Eng...961CT/10002/-1

Blueprint Engines Small Block Chevy 396ci Stroker Base Engine 485HP/500TQ

KNOT-HEAD (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

BLUEPRINT 396

No I did not, that is a pretty dang good deal for a 396! Thanks for the link. Personally, I think for that money I would be looking into a 400-based small block. But if what I wanted was a warrantied crate motor that I just need to "bolt in" that is hard to beat!

For the more budget oriented, the 383 Blueprint motor is still the better bet in this case since KNOT-HEAD will still be doubling his horsepower and is trying to save some money, and has no plans to be racing it.

KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
KH: I was in a similar situation.
I had more knowlege than you.
But limited tools and experience.

I bought all my parts about $6K.
And had one shop do all the work.
That way they were responsible for everything.
It was a smart move on my part.
If there is a problem, most shops will blame it on the 'other guy'.

They did all the work and turned down the timing so it would pass smog!
That was long ago.

JMHO

R

I started off with good intentions. I dreamed that my oldest (37 and a muscle car nut) would help me work on the car, because after all it will be his inheritance. Poor judgment because I did not take into consideration he had a job, wife and three young rug rats he MUST cater too before tackling a project car. Next I contacted a very highly thought of Corvette restorer in my area. He put me off for over three months before he would even look at the car. Being the "KNOT-HEAD" that I am. I took my youngest son's (35) advice (that at the time didn't know how to screw in a light bulb without written directions) and used the shade tree mechanic he has been using, that "SAID" he has been working on his father-in-laws vintage Corvette for years. All the rubber gram-its on the suspension were dry rotted, which made it very dangerous to put on the highway. I also asked him to repair the A/C. Well after four months I got tired of the excuses and brought it to someone else. It seems he had successfully repaired the suspension but made a catastrophe of the A/C. I brought it to a highly recommended mechanic shop that already had 3 other vintage Corvettes in the shop and asked them to repair the A/C. The commented the Corvette A/C systems were notorious for not cooling the interior of the car properly and recommend upgrading the complete system with a new electronic operated A/C kit. I purchased the kit ($1.4k). Paid him $3k to remove all the existing A/C unit, duct work, controls and adapt the new system to the car. After 6 months of excuses, I picked it up from them with the console partially out, the A/C control ***** just hanging off the side of the console, the new A/C drivers side duct hanging a few inches over the brake peddle and the damn thing not blowing air out of the proper vents. I then found a neighbor that has been doing mechanic work out of his house for over 17 years and asked him if he would like to take on a project to complete the A/C work and some other, what I thought were minor issues. He took on the project. Made the repairs but used very poor craftsmanship. There were still were issues he and I just couldn't figure out. The horn would not blow, the head lights would go out when the high beams were switched on, the A/C would still not blow out the correct vents (one of the switches connection plug under the console, the first jerk installed, came loose). I next got suckered into purchasing a so called rebuilt beefed up engine from a guy on Craigslist and paid him to install it. Well to be polite, he didn't know his a** from a hole in the ground about installing a engine. After 2 weeks of him trying to get the engine installed and running, I finally ran him off. I worked on it myself and got it to run pretty good but could not get it to idle properly. I could get it timed, adjust the Edelbrock carb while idling but not when I would put it in gear. I gave up and brought it to the shop it is at now. The found a lot of problems with both the engine and the way it was installed. So here we are now. Licking my wounds, asking for advice and doing the best I can with the funds (my wife will let me spend) I have to attempt to make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear".
Please forgive me, I know I have told this same crybaby, tear jerking, embarrassing story a few times on this Thread before, but in some SICK WAY, it seems to make feel better when others, such as yourself can relate and hopefully gain at least some self-a-steam from reading my pitiful story.
Thanks again,
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-12-2018, 03:13 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Man if you want the 485hp then go get it now, youll wish you did later on.
Not like youre full throttle or doing clutch dumps everywhere. Put some decent Ujoints in and drive it, wouldnt worry about breaking anything unless it happened.
May as well do it once the first time, never $ or time to do it again.
400chp isnt as much as it sounds like.

Most those #s come from a dyno cell sometimes tricks are pulled to get that #
By the time you put street exhaust on, accessories, breathing hot air it can net you plenty less.
Dont let your friend or anyone else talk you out of something that makes YOU happy. He has his hobbies, she can get a new purse lol. Nothing "sensible" about this hobby, is about that WOT grin and firing it up early on a Sun morning hearing it.

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2018 at 03:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cv67:
73racevette (09-13-2018), KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

BLUEPRINT 396

Morbid,
Thanks for the post. You hit the nail on the head. I have a rich man's dream, with a poor man's pocket book. I would love to drive a car that would lift the front wheels on demand but I just don't have the know how or the cash to pay someone else to build it. It would he great if I did. MAYBE SOMEDAY! For now, you are correct. I just want a head turner I can be proud of like my "drowned" 96 Road King was. I should have stuck with the beefed up bikes (a lot less money and acceleration that would make your eyes water, plus pull the front wheel in third gear) but I just felt God was telling me to change my stupid ways before I get my wife (who always road with me) and myself "tit's up and buried", so I elected to go with 4 wheels, and an enclosure to ride in.

Pauldana,
I looked at the 936 you recommended and was on the edge about to jump in the pool when my diesel helicopter mechanic talked me out of it last night. It was just not right for me at this time, mainly because of all the screw ups I have made concerning this car since I have owned it for the last two years. I sure had my heart set on it but a much smarter man talked me out of it.
Thanks for both of you for the input. Please keep it up. I need all the help I can get.
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Another possible option http://www.high-performance-engines....p-p/hp101c.htm
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like a thumpr cam
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Man if you want the 485hp then go get it now, youll wish you did later on.
Not like youre full throttle or doing clutch dumps everywhere. Put some decent Ujoints in and drive it, wouldnt worry about breaking anything unless it happened.
May as well do it once the first time, never $ or time to do it again.
400chp isnt as much as it sounds like.

Most those #s come from a dyno cell sometimes tricks are pulled to get that #
By the time you put street exhaust on, accessories, breathing hot air it can net you plenty less.
Dont let your friend or anyone else talk you out of something that makes YOU happy. He has his hobbies, she can get a new purse lol. Nothing "sensible" about this hobby, is about that WOT grin and firing it up early on a Sun morning hearing it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Morbid,
Thanks for the post. You hit the nail on the head. I have a rich man's dream, with a poor man's pocket book. I would love to drive a car that would lift the front wheels on demand but I just don't have the know how or the cash to pay someone else to build it. It would he great if I did. MAYBE SOMEDAY! For now, you are correct. I just want a head turner I can be proud of like my "drowned" 96 Road King was. I should have stuck with the beefed up bikes (a lot less money and acceleration that would make your eyes water, plus pull the front wheel in third gear) but I just felt God was telling me to change my stupid ways before I get my wife (who always road with me) and myself "tit's up and buried", so I elected to go with 4 wheels, and an enclosure to ride in.

Pauldana,
I looked at the 936 you recommended and was on the edge about to jump in the pool when my diesel helicopter mechanic talked me out of it last night. It was just not right for me at this time, mainly because of all the screw ups I have made concerning this car since I have owned it for the last two years. I sure had my heart set on it but a much smarter man talked me out of it.
Thanks for both of you for the input. Please keep it up. I need all the help I can get.
KNOT-HEAD
And what were his concerns???? A 396 is just as reliable as a 383, a 350 a 400 a 427 and so on...
I honestly have my doubts about your friend... if he thinks a 396 is odd and in some way less reliable than a 383, then I would state, he does not know as much as he proclaims..
Different stroke on the crank... that is it... I run a 650hp 427... no problems... and i beat the **** out of it.

Last edited by pauldana; 09-12-2018 at 04:05 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Sounds like a thumpr cam

Let us hope not,,, lol
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Looks like a lunati cam with 1.6 rockers. Also using 195 pro-filer heads.

Last edited by 76strokervette; 09-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

No I did not, that is a pretty dang good deal for a 396! Thanks for the link. Personally, I think for that money I would be looking into a 400-based small block. But if what I wanted was a warrantied crate motor that I just need to "bolt in" that is hard to beat!

For the more budget oriented, the 383 Blueprint motor is still the better bet in this case since KNOT-HEAD will still be doubling his horsepower and is trying to save some money, and has no plans to be racing it.

Thanks for the reply. Yea... I'm kinda between a rock and a hard spot. Within a couple years of retirement and trying to substitute my drowned 96 Road King with a 77 Corvette has been a challenge to say the least. Expensive learning opportunity!!!!!!! I really had my heart set on the 396/485hp engine....until I told my wife the cost. I had already prepared her for the $4k+ cost of a 383/430hp engine (that she didn't take well). I was really hoping when I told her I had finally found an engine, she would not have asked me how much it cost. I should have known better. When she asked why the price jumped up an additional $1.5k ..... I panicked AND TOLD THE TRUTH, that it was for the additional HP. Boy, did that stir up a monster! She said "THAT'S JUST FOR RACING!". After regaining my composure... I answered (in a pitiful, wimpy voice)..."no, I just want to finally quit thinking about the cost and have a car that is really special.

Well (with a look that could kill) she turned away and didn't acknowledge my existence for around two hours, but had come to the conclusion... I was going to get the 396. I had told her (as a means of escape from total HELL) I was not going to just jump into this purchase without running it buy our friend and resident expert on engine performance...the diesel helicopter mechanic...so I did. As my quivering fingers attempted to text our friend...the room was silent with the exception of the faint sound of the TV in the background (that I dare not attempt to change the channel on). After about an hour of frantic texting between our friend and myself, I finally gave in to his argument that, basically the 350 and 383 have been tried and true engines for many years and there are a lot of them on the road, which makes professional knowledge and parts very easy to come by. I accused him of consorting with my wife, prior to my contacting him on this issue. HE DID NOT ANSWER?????? Anyway, if it was a plot against me or not... I took the weeny way out and agreed to spend some more time researching a value rated large variety of 383/HP (+/-) engines on both JEGS and Summit, which I did. As of now is a toss between a "ATK High Performance GM 383 Stroker 435HP Stage 1 Crate Engine HP36 at $4.42k or a BluePrint SBC 383 C.I.430HP Base Crate Engine (Aluminum Engine, Hydraulic roller tappet cam, Dart SHP Aluminum Heads 72cc/180cc 2.02/1.60 valves)" and a " BluePrint GM 383 C.T.D. 430HP Stroker Base Crate Engine (Aluminum engine, Hydraulic roller tappet cam Lift: .528" intake/.536" exhaust Duration:@ .050" Lift: 221 Intake /226 exhaust Lobe separation : 110, Aluminum Heads 195cc intake/75cc exhaust 202/1.60 valves,)
I have a couple things in red that I don't know the meaning of. If anyone will clue me in on the meanings, I would surly appreciate. If someone can let me know about the specs on the heads and cams, that would be very helpful. The junk engine I "stupidly" purchased has a Mother Thumper cam in it. I know all the negatives about that cam but I really liked the lope it has. I don't know if the cams in either of these two engines will have a "similar" lope of not. If anyone can shed a little light on that subject, that would be a BIG help.
Thanks to all of you!
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

After about an hour of frantic texting between our friend and myself, I finally gave in to his argument that, basically the 350 and 383 have been tried and true engines for many years and there are a lot of them on the road, which makes professional knowledge and parts very easy to come by.
Ok so straight up, not trying to be mean or anything, your friend doesn't know nearly as much about engines as you think. a 396, a 350, a 383 are all THE SAME ENGINE. They are all tried and true 350 small block motors. What makes the difference? A 350 engine has a 4" bore and 3.48" stroke. A 383 engine has a 3.750" stroke. A 396 has a 3.875" stroke. A 3350,383, or 396 are ALL tried and true engines and anyone who knows how to work on a small block chevy could work on all of them EQUALLY because they are the same besides the crankshaft stroke length.

So saying that you should get a 350 or 383 over a 396 soley based on the fact that he has heard of more of them on the road shows a complete lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the engine.

In your case, I think the 383 is the better option because you are budget limited and frankly I think a 420 hp 383 is going to be plenty for you considering you haven't upgraded the rest of the chassis. But there is ZERO difference in reliability or parts availability between a 350, 383, or 396.
The following 2 users liked this post by mobird:
73racevette (09-13-2018), KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:42 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply. Yea... I'm kinda between a rock and a hard spot. Within a couple years of retirement and trying to substitute my drowned 96 Road King with a 77 Corvette has been a challenge to say the least. Expensive learning opportunity!!!!!!! I really had my heart set on the 396/485hp engine....until I told my wife the cost. I had already prepared her for the $4k+ cost of a 383/430hp engine (that she didn't take well). I was really hoping when I told her I had finally found an engine, she would not have asked me how much it cost. I should have known better. When she asked why the price jumped up an additional $1.5k ..... I panicked AND TOLD THE TRUTH, that it was for the additional HP. Boy, did that stir up a monster! She said "THAT'S JUST FOR RACING!". After regaining my composure... I answered (in a pitiful, wimpy voice)..."no, I just want to finally quit thinking about the cost and have a car that is really special.

Well (with a look that could kill) she turned away and didn't acknowledge my existence for around two hours, but had come to the conclusion... I was going to get the 396. I had told her (as a means of escape from total HELL) I was not going to just jump into this purchase without running it buy our friend and resident expert on engine performance...the diesel helicopter mechanic...so I did. As my quivering fingers attempted to text our friend...the room was silent with the exception of the faint sound of the TV in the background (that I dare not attempt to change the channel on). After about an hour of frantic texting between our friend and myself, I finally gave in to his argument that, basically the 350 and 383 have been tried and true engines for many years and there are a lot of them on the road, which makes professional knowledge and parts very easy to come by. I accused him of consorting with my wife, prior to my contacting him on this issue. HE DID NOT ANSWER?????? Anyway, if it was a plot against me or not... I took the weeny way out and agreed to spend some more time researching a value rated large variety of 383/HP (+/-) engines on both JEGS and Summit, which I did. As of now is a toss between a "ATK High Performance GM 383 Stroker 435HP Stage 1 Crate Engine HP36 at $4.42k or a BluePrint SBC 383 C.I.430HP Base Crate Engine (Aluminum Engine, Hydraulic roller tappet cam, Dart SHP Aluminum Heads 72cc/180cc 2.02/1.60 valves)" and a " BluePrint GM 383 C.T.D. 430HP Stroker Base Crate Engine (Aluminum engine, Hydraulic roller tappet cam Lift: .528" intake/.536" exhaust Duration:@ .050" Lift: 221 Intake /226 exhaust Lobe separation : 110, Aluminum Heads 195cc intake/75cc exhaust 202/1.60 valves,)
I have a couple things in red that I don't know the meaning of. If anyone will clue me in on the meanings, I would surly appreciate. If someone can let me know about the specs on the heads and cams, that would be very helpful. The junk engine I "stupidly" purchased has a Mother Thumper cam in it. I know all the negatives about that cam but I really liked the lope it has. I don't know if the cams in either of these two engines will have a "similar" lope of not. If anyone can shed a little light on that subject, that would be a BIG help.
Thanks to all of you!
KNOT-HEAD
First of all... I laughed my *** off on you story!!!! mostly due to the fact that I have "Been there done that!!" lol:-) Another Russian saying from my wife "The man may be the head, but the woman is the neck, and where the neck turns the head goes:-)" lol.... All I can say is think long term as much as possible... are you going to own this car till your dyeing days? and then will it always be somethings as like... I wish, or what if, or,,,you got the idea,,,, divide 1000$ over 10 years, what did it cost? jmho, I have done way to many things twice, even 3 times due to not waiting and doing right the first time...

Again... to my other point on the 396... mobbed below is echoing my thoughts...
I am sure your friend is smart... but being smart and being an expert on SBC, do not necessarily go hand in hand,,, in this case he could not be more wrong... read below....

Ok so straight up, not trying to be mean or anything, your friend doesn't know nearly as much about engines as you think. a 396, a 350, a 383 are all THE SAME ENGINE. They are all tried and true 350 small block motors. What makes the difference? A 350 engine has a 4" bore and 3.48" stroke. A 383 engine has a 3.750" stroke. A 396 has a 3.875" stroke. A 3350,383, or 396 are ALL tried and true engines and anyone who knows how to work on a small block chevy could work on all of them EQUALLY because they are the same besides the crankshaft stroke length.

So saying that you should get a 350 or 383 over a 396 soley based on the fact that he has heard of more of them on the road shows a complete lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the engine.

In your case, I think the 383 is the better option because you are budget limited and frankly I think a 420 hp 383 is going to be plenty for you considering you haven't upgraded the rest of the chassis. But there is ZERO difference in reliability or parts availability between a 350, 383, or 396.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If your wife kills it due to
budget, so be it.... but do not kill it due to the hellacopter pilot.... I'm a pilot as well, means nothing to SBC engines.. But my boys and I DO race and build race cars, we have 6 corvettes we race, and also do the Baja 500 and 1000.. We build our own engines, rear ends, and design and build our own suspensions for our rock crawlers, we even have our own in ground Dyno.... We do compleat fabrication..

if you can do the 396 without a divorce or moving to the garage to sleep, do it... you will NEVER regret it. but it is not worth loosing your wife.... most of the time:-)

My wife and I are having a go at the new Fort GT I am getting... I have a vision of 250mph NA 427.... I gave her the budget and she ****... lol....
So, she knows it goes to Alex, our son, and my youngest son, when I pass or get to old to drive...so this helped, and I gave her a 3 year build timeline so it won't all hit at the same time..
Then I said ok, we can go to Australia this Christmas...now she's quite about it,,, not super happy,,, but stopped bitching,, :-) lol

Last edited by pauldana; 09-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!