C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:32 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 76strokervette
The engine I linked to has the lope you are looking for due the the tight lsa(108). The Thumpr line of cams are designed for the sound only
and are easily outperformed. You could ask about a long block to save money and use your existing parts but you will have to do the work
or have someone you trust do it and most likely give up some of the warranty. I agree with Paul, if you are not up to doing the work yourself
the complete engine is a safer bet. I understand the budget and wife concerns so do what is best for your situation.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks. I don't see a link attached to this Thread. I would be really interested in seeing what you recommend to have the same lope as the Mother Thumper cam I purchased with the "junk" engine. After hearing all the negatives by people such as yourself and with my limited knowledge of performance engines, I am dumping the Thumper cams. I hear all the technical jargon about cams and heads but that doesn't mean a thing to me. The cam was in the engine when I purchased it and I liked the way it sounded. That's the extent of my cam expertise. I did have a 375 Isky cam in my 57 Belair back in the late 60's. I really loved and miss that car. Everyone is correct with a combination of my limited knowledge and funds, the only wise thing to do is purchase a crate engine. With the help of the good people on this site, I feel sure that you and others like you will help me FINALLY make a wise decision concerning this catastrophe called a 77 Corvette owned by me!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Thanks pauldana, As by your definition, I guess I am a so called poser. I really refuse to race anyone anymore. It this age I have absolutely NOTHING to prove too ANYONE but myself and my wife and her only because I have put her through so much hell during the last 40+ years, she deserves all the joy and respect I can attempt to give her. I spent my child hood, like YOU wanting to show my *** for anyone and everyone that would be willing to waste their time watching me burn my tires and tear up my car in a futile attempt to better the next guy only to have someone with a bigger and badder engine (primarily because his daddy gave him the money) make me eat his dust and suffer the the laughter and humility from my "so called" friends. I honestly pray I have grown up sense blowing the engine on my first pride and joy. I regret it to this day. If I still had my 57 Belair, I would not be dumping good money after bad on this money pit. Sorry, I want a car that looks, runs and sound good (to MY ears not yours). I could care less if anyone else but my wife and myself enjoy the sound of the car while we idling through Burger King, then driving maybe 8 mph over the posted speed limit on our way to one of the local car shows, where we can look at some nice cars, talk to some like minded people, spend some money at a charitable benefit, dance to some old time music...maybe even some country... and have a couple alcoholic beverages, then hopefully enjoy the end of a great day by taking a leisurely cruse home in our old pretty, slow, loud 77 Corvette that looks and SOUNDS great "TO US".

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
KNOT-HEAD

I agree with you on the most part..... don't about a bad cam choice as I see it... I more so agree with cuisinartvette

55hp for 1500 is a steal!! Some guys spend that on a catback or a set of headers that give them 10 or 15.
"Its a 350, sweetie I listened". Your call I suppose.
Not poo pooing those cams really, it just seems counterproductive to get one that may make power but is blowing it out the tailpipe w/manners that suffer when the right one will still sound great & do it all better!
Guess the marketing trend today are catchy names.

As fare as the wife thing goes.. 100% agree.. Love my girl as well, she is my everything.

and yes, 1500 is cheap for 55hp and 50 tq? cold air intakes cost $500 for maybe 10-20 hp not tq increases, a nice set of Borla mulfflers around 500, 5-10hp? I just see some decisions a "forever decisions" like when I build a custom home, ... the roof is a "forever decision" yes you can change out the cement tile for clay later... but you never will,,, and if you do??? you bought 2 roofs.... I always consider forever decisions differently then other decision.

But in the end, if you are happy, that is all that counts,,,
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks EVERYONE!!

GUESS WHAT I DID SATURDAY MORNING 9/15/2018!!!! I ordered the 396/485hp engine "pauldana" recommended. I want to thank everyone, especially morbid, pauldana & cuisnart vette for helping me make what I feel is a decision of a lifetime. Like morbid stated, I'm 67 years old, on the verge of being on a fixed income, and no one knows what the future will brink. I may never again have an opportunity to either have the money, health or life to be able to make one of my life long dream such as owning a head turning 77 Corvette, so go for the gusto. My wife had an Epiphany the next day after having the uncomfortable discussion involving the desire for a head turning vette.

She is very big on the power of prayer, so she prayed on the subject that night and the next day. Something came on one of the Hell-fire & brimstone religious channels she devoutly listens to. The subject of the broadcast in part, was discussing the need for some people, later in life needing to be evolved with something special.....Which is me in a nutshell. I have been in somewhat of the "lime lite" most of my life. I excelled at high school sports, especial football, was awarded a full college scholarship. Depressingly I flunked English, lost my scholarship, stupidly married my first wife, became a correctional officer in one of the Louisiana juvenile correction facilities, later began to work with our local electrical utility company, left my first wife after two years of a remorse filled, miserable existence. Next I started working as a union electrical and instrumentation worker during the day and bartender/bouncer at night. During that time in my life I went crazy for five years (I actually remember some of it... but everyone I associated with during that time frame has always told me "I HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME"...LOL!).

Thank God, toward the end of my insanity period, I met my best friend and now wife for 40+ years of adventure and happiness. Early in out marriage, I quit electrical work and became the general manager of (during the John Travolta years in the early 80's) the largest night club in Louisiana. For the next three years I was also a Baton Rouge reserve deputy plus owner and operated a mom and pop sporting goods store (among other things). We then had our first son so I elected to quit night club and went back to electrical/instrumentation construction work. I soon became the site superintendent/manager/estimator/quality control on industrial construction sites for over thirty years. Now (in my Golden Years...that means all the gold you have saved for years is now going to insurance companies and doctors), I have been pushed out of the lime lite by younger people that hold a college degree in my field. Now I am a 67 year old "X"... lot of things and really need something to make me stand out of the crowd again. I had that for years with my custom paint, beefed up motor, Harley Davidson Road King. When it drowned in the South Louisiana flood of 2016, I honestly cried as the tow truck loaded it up to be taken to a location where the Governor of Louisiana demanded all motor verticals involved in a insurance clam must be crushed.

The religious leader presenting the broadcast brought up that people, such as myself have a true need for something to make them stand out in life again after being the center of attention for the majority of their younger more productive years. So, with all that malarkey I just fed you, my sweet wife told me she now understood why it was so important (in my eyes) for me to have something that would draw attention to me again and allow me to stand out in the crowd. She now understood why making this car a one of a kind head turner is something I really need not, just desire. I have always stated to both younger and older people alike, " In my opinion, It is better to be a never...than a has been". Don't get me wrong, I have not had the fame and fortune many of you have had, but in my small circle of family, friends and co-workers, I stood out from the crowd. Now (as one of my young, college graduate co-workers stated) "I'm on the way down the ladder while he and others like him are on the way up". That's part of life and especial the businesses world.

Thanks to the good folks on this site, I have an opportunity to be special again with this future head turning, one of a kind car. I have looked at a lot of Corvette publications and to the best of my knowledge I have ran across only vintage Corvettes with primarily 350, 383, 454 and some of the new computer age engines. I have yet to see one with a 396, let alone one with 485 hp. I think this will have an advantage over the stock big block engines in similar body styles because of the big block engine's additional weight, plus the additional weight added to the car's suspension to allow it to safely handle that weight on the public highways. I'm still not planning to race this car, but who knows, some bright sunny day while taking a leisurely cruse (without my lovely wife) on one of our local highways...one of those, smart ***, college graduates that made fun of my "old people smell", repeated boring has been stories and big belly that is now doing the same work I do, for a lot more money, may pull up besides me in one of those stock show room, fancy looking Mustangs, Camaro or other fashionable so called sports car. When he recognizes me as I sit in the next lane from him in my old antique car and gives me a **** eating grin.... I then hit the switch on my electric cutouts, attached to my ceramic headers, which in turn are connected to my 396/485hp engine....AND POLITELY "DUST" HIS PUNY ***".

Again, thanks to all of you that have taken the time from your busy scheduled to read the crybaby rambling of an old, fat, has been, show me some sympathy and especially take a GREAT DEAL of time to attempt to educate me on the proper building of a quality internal combustion engine as well as how to match it with a suitable car which in turn will also match the owner. Naturally, I will keep you posted on my on going saga with this car, because, with this new engine, installed by quality mechanics, I may even be able (after two long years) to drive the damn thing for more than an hour at a time without something going wrong, then returning it to the mechanic shop.

KNOT-HEAD
jim-81 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

What a great story and it sounds like you are going to enjoy the hell out of the car very soon. I can relate to the need to have a project or something special like a hot rod car. It definitely makes life fun.
KNOT-HEAD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks EVERYONE!!

GUESS WHAT I DID SATURDAY MORNING 9/15/2018!!!! I ordered the 396/485hp engine "pauldana" recommended. I want to thank everyone, especially morbid, pauldana & cuisnart vette for helping me make what I feel is a decision of a lifetime. Like morbid stated, I'm 67 years old, on the verge of being on a fixed income, and no one knows what the future will brink. I may never again have an opportunity to either have the money, health or life to be able to make one of my life long dream such as owning a head turning 77 Corvette, so go for the gusto. My wife had an Epiphany the next day after having the uncomfortable discussion involving the desire for a head turning vette.

She is very big on the power of prayer, so she prayed on the subject that night and the next day. Something came on one of the Hell-fire & brimstone religious channels she devoutly listens to. The subject of the broadcast in part, was discussing the need for some people, later in life needing to be evolved with something special.....Which is me in a nutshell. I have been in somewhat of the "lime lite" most of my life. I excelled at high school sports, especial football, was awarded a full college scholarship. Depressingly I flunked English, lost my scholarship, stupidly married my first wife, became a correctional officer in one of the Louisiana juvenile correction facilities, later began to work with our local electrical utility company, left my first wife after two years of a remorse filled, miserable existence. Next I started working as a union electrical and instrumentation worker during the day and bartender/bouncer at night. During that time in my life I went crazy for five years (I actually remember some of it... but everyone I associated with during that time frame has always told me "I HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME"...LOL!).

Thank God, toward the end of my insanity period, I met my best friend and now wife for 40+ years of adventure and happiness. Early in out marriage, I quit electrical work and became the general manager of (during the John Travolta years in the early 80's) the largest night club in Louisiana. For the next three years I was also a Baton Rouge reserve deputy plus owner and operated a mom and pop sporting goods store (among other things). We then had our first son so I elected to quit night club and went back to electrical/instrumentation construction work. I soon became the site superintendent/manager/estimator/quality control on industrial construction sites for over thirty years. Now (in my Golden Years...that means all the gold you have saved for years is now going to insurance companies and doctors), I have been pushed out of the lime lite by younger people that hold a college degree in my field. Now I am a 67 year old "X"... lot of things and really need something to make me stand out of the crowd again. I had that for years with my custom paint, beefed up motor, Harley Davidson Road King. When it drowned in the South Louisiana flood of 2016, I honestly cried as the tow truck loaded it up to be taken to a location where the Governor of Louisiana demanded all motor verticals involved in a insurance clam must be crushed.

The religious leader presenting the broadcast brought up that people, such as myself have a true need for something to make them stand out in life again after being the center of attention for the majority of their younger more productive years. So, with all that malarkey I just fed you, my sweet wife told me she now understood why it was so important (in my eyes) for me to have something that would draw attention to me again and allow me to stand out in the crowd. She now understood why making this car a one of a kind head turner is something I really need not, just desire. I have always stated to both younger and older people alike, " In my opinion, It is better to be a never...than a has been". Don't get me wrong, I have not had the fame and fortune many of you have had, but in my small circle of family, friends and co-workers, I stood out from the crowd. Now (as one of my young, college graduate co-workers stated) "I'm on the way down the ladder while he and others like him are on the way up". That's part of life and especial the businesses world.

Thanks to the good folks on this site, I have an opportunity to be special again with this future head turning, one of a kind car. I have looked at a lot of Corvette publications and to the best of my knowledge I have ran across only vintage Corvettes with primarily 350, 383, 454 and some of the new computer age engines. I have yet to see one with a 396, let alone one with 485 hp. I think this will have an advantage over the stock big block engines in similar body styles because of the big block engine's additional weight, plus the additional weight added to the car's suspension to allow it to safely handle that weight on the public highways. I'm still not planning to race this car, but who knows, some bright sunny day while taking a leisurely cruse (without my lovely wife) on one of our local highways...one of those, smart ***, college graduates that made fun of my "old people smell", repeated boring has been stories and big belly that is now doing the same work I do, for a lot more money, may pull up besides me in one of those stock show room, fancy looking Mustangs, Camaro or other fashionable so called sports car. When he recognizes me as I sit in the next lane from him in my old antique car and gives me a **** eating grin.... I then hit the switch on my electric cutouts, attached to my ceramic headers, which in turn are connected to my 396/485hp engine....AND POLITELY "DUST" HIS PUNY ***".

Again, thanks to all of you that have taken the time from your busy scheduled to read the crybaby rambling of an old, fat, has been, show me some sympathy and especially take a GREAT DEAL of time to attempt to educate me on the proper building of a quality internal combustion engine as well as how to match it with a suitable car which in turn will also match the owner. Naturally, I will keep you posted on my on going saga with this car, because, with this new engine, installed by quality mechanics, I may even be able (after two long years) to drive the damn thing for more than an hour at a time without something going wrong, then returning it to the mechanic shop.

KNOT-HEAD

once in.... you will never regret it.... good decision, but I do know it cost you... You will be able to SMOKE any stock C1, C2, C3, C4, and most C5's.... and give some C6's a run for there money..

next... suspension.

Note...
One thing you do not really realize, is the amount of torque you are buying... a 396 is a TQ king... you want to shred rubber? you got the right engine..

Last edited by pauldana; 09-17-2018 at 04:25 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
once in.... you will never regret it.... good decision, but I do know it cost you... You will be able to SMOKE any stock C1, C2, C3, C4, and most C5's.... and give some C6's a run for there money..

next... suspension.

Note...
One thing you do not really realize, is the amount of torque you are buying... a 396 is a TQ king... you want to shred rubber? you got the right engine..
Agreed on the suspension. And also since you have it at the mechanic, I would go ahead and have them put in some solid Spicer 1350 U-joints in the half shafts and drive shaft. It shouldn't be too expensive. The U-joints are one of the weakest points on the C3 rear end and you will DEFINITELY be putting more strain on it with effectively double the power you had before. Have them (or do it yourself) do a diff and tranny fluid change as well if it hasn't been done recently. Basically, make sure the rest of the maintenace items are up to snuff so the car survives as long as possible. Then I say just enjoy it. You will find what else needs upgrading as you drive it around more. Chances are you will want new shocks at a minimum, and eventually new bushings (depending on the age and condition of yours) and possibly different springs.

Also quick tip, modern wheels and tires will make a bigger difference on ride and handling than anything else. But they will also have more grip (assuming you run some performance tires of some sort) which leads to more strain on the diff if you launch hard. With your current 15" wheels and tires, your tires will easily break free on a hard launch which saves your diff from undue stresses. If you put super sticky tires on you get better grip, handling and braking, but a hard launch will put more stress on the diff and half shafts when the tires try to grip more than the old ones. Just food for thought!

Congratulations on your new engine, that thing will be awesome! Takes some pics and share with everyone!
KNOT-HEAD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

• HP & Torque: 491 HP / 509 FT LBS
    Compression Ratio: 10.4:1
    Aluminum Heads
    Hydraulic Roller Cam
    Forged Crank
    Forged Pistons
BLOCK:
  • Hand picked seasoned block
    Square and parallel decked
    Align honed main bearing bore
    Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
    Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
    4-Bolt Main
    4.000" Bored .040" Over
    1-Piece Rear Main Seal
    Mech fuel pump provision: Yes
    Passenger Side Dipstick
  • Drilled and tapped for clutch linkage
ROTATING ASSEMBLY:
  • New BluePrint Forged Crankshaft
    3.875 " Stroke
    Forged I-beam 6.000" connecting rods
    Forged Pistons
    Internal Front/ External Rear
CYLINDER HEADS:
  • BluePrint Aluminum Cylinder Heads - HP8103
    64cc chamber
    2.08" intake/1.60" exhaust valves
    220cc intake/67cc exhaust runners
CAM SPECS:
  • Cam Type: Roller
    .544 Intake .555 Exhaust
    230 Intake / 236 Exhaust duration
    @ .050, 110 ° lobe separation angle
IGNITION TIMING:
  • 34 degrees total at 3500 RPM
ALSO INCLUDES:
  • Valve covers, oil pan and timing cover
    Brass freeze plugs
    Dyno test results shipped with engine
WARRANTY:

30 month / 50,000 mileNOTES:
  • *A bronze distributor gear is NOT recommended on this engine
    Not for use in pollution controlled vehicles.

https://blueprintengines.com/pages/dyno-promise

C5 Corvette with the LS1 Engine, 1997 to 2000

The standard production option during the C5 model years equipped the Corvette with Chevrolet’s LS1 engine. This aluminum block V-8 had a displacement of 5.7 liters and used sequential multi-port fuel injection to feed gas through two valves per cylinder. Prospective buyers could purchase the C5 Corvette with a four-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Both drivetrains delivered 345 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 350 foot-pounds of torque at 4,400 rpm. "Motor Trend" reported that the LS1 could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, hit 109.3 mph in the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 173.9 mph.

C5 Corvette Z06

In 2001, Chevrolet released the high-performance Z06 Corvette. The company equipped its flagship Z06 with a performance-enhanced version of the LS1 aluminum block V-8, referred to as the LS6. The LS6 engine utilized an overhead valve pushrod system and had a displacement of 5.7 liters and transmitted power through a six-speed Borg-Warner manual transmission. This drivetrain achieved an output of 385 hp at 6,000 rpm and 385 foot-pounds of torque at 4,800 rpm with a redline of 6,500 rpm and a compression ratio of 10.5-to-1. In terms of performance, the Z06 hit a top speed of 171 mph, could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and clock a speed of 114 mph in the quarter-mile with a time of 12.6 seconds.

C5 Corvette Performance Upgrades, 2001 to 2004

Starting in 2001, Chevrolet made performance modifications to the LS1 engine for the C5 Corvette. The company redesigned the fuel injection system to add five horsepower to the engine’s output for a total of 350 at 5,600 rpm and 360 foot-pounds at 4,400 rpm. Any Corvette from 2001 to 2004 equipped with the LS1 engine shared this performance upgrade. In 2002, Chevy also added performance enhancements of a higher-lift camshaft and airflow modifications to the Z06 engine. These changes boosted the output of the Z06 engine to 405 hp at 6,000 rpm and 400 foot-pounds of torque at 4,800 rpm. This enhanced power enabled the Z06 to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and hit a speed of 116 mph in the quarter-mile with a time of 12.4 seconds.

Last edited by pauldana; 09-17-2018 at 05:21 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim-81
What a great story and it sounds like you are going to enjoy the hell out of the car very soon. I can relate to the need to have a project or something special like a hot rod car. It definitely makes life fun.

Thanks,
Hopefully "most" of my ignorance and stupidity is behind me.
KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

next... suspension.

Note...

Thanks again for all your support and valued knowledge. The first thing I had installed was a new upgraded suspension kit from JEGS. I hope I never race anyone again. I'ts just the power in knowing I can wax their *** is enough for me. It's kinda like when I was a bouncer and some drunk would want to show his *** and challenge my ability to eject him from the premises. It's a GREAT feeling (once you get him/them gone) to give him/them a **** eating grin then just turn and walk away . After that, there is no reason to discuss the incident, THEY KNOW HOW THE COW EAT'S THE CABBAGE and hopefully learn a valuable lesson.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mobird
Agreed on the suspension. And also since you have it at the mechanic, I would go ahead and have them put in some solid Spicer 1350 U-joints in the half shafts and drive shaft. It shouldn't be too expensive. The U-joints are one of the weakest points on the C3 rear end and you will DEFINITELY be putting more strain on it with effectively double the power you had before. Have them (or do it yourself) do a diff and tranny fluid change as well if it hasn't been done recently. Basically, make sure the rest of the maintenace items are up to snuff so the car survives as long as possible. Then I say just enjoy it. You will find what else needs upgrading as you drive it around more. Chances are you will want new shocks at a minimum, and eventually new bushings (depending on the age and condition of yours) and possibly different springs.

Also quick tip, modern wheels and tires will make a bigger difference on ride and handling than anything else. But they will also have more grip (assuming you run some performance tires of some sort) which leads to more strain on the diff if you launch hard. With your current 15" wheels and tires, your tires will easily break free on a hard launch which saves your diff from undue stresses. If you put super sticky tires on you get better grip, handling and braking, but a hard launch will put more stress on the diff and half shafts when the tires try to grip more than the old ones. Just food for thought!

Congratulations on your new engine, that thing will be awesome! Takes some pics and share with everyone!
Thanks again morbid, You seemed to be able to relate to all my trails and tribulations. The first thing I did was have new (top of the line) shocks and complete upgrade suspension kit from JEGS installed. I later had the rear leaf spring replaced with a stock replacement set from JEGS. I had the used 700r4 transmission overhauled. The builder told my new mechanic shop it was good for up to 550hp. I had already ask that the mechanic to check out the complete drive train and install heavy duty universal joints. I will contact them today and give them your recommendations to install the solid Splicer 1350 U-joints. I remember a million years or so ago when I could still fit under a car and attempt to do my own work...I went through "more than one" set of universal joints and clutch plates, plus the occasional pressure plate. The car came with Firehawk Indy 500 tires but because the rubber bushings on the suspension was so dry rotted, I wore out the front tires pretty quickly, These tires are now out of production so I replaced the two worn tires with Cooper Cobra Radial G/T. I was told they were as an equal replacement tire I could now find. I plan to keep the car well maintained. This will be my oldest son's inheritance.

The new engine has been shipped as of yesterday on regular truck freight. It should reach the mechanic shop sometimes tomorrow (Wed. 19th). The mechanic shop has been pretty booked up for the last couple months but I'm sure they will want to get that "eyesore" out of their way soon or at least I hope so. I will update this Thread once I have anything iron clad to report.... Hopefully in the future all updates will be nothing but positive.
Thanks again and have a Blessed Day!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

https://youtu.be/JP-7MivHVzY
  • HP & Torque: 491 HP / 509 FT LBS
    Compression Ratio: 10.4:1
    Aluminum Heads
    Hydraulic Roller Cam
    Forged Crank
    Forged Pistons
BLOCK:
  • Hand picked seasoned block
    Square and parallel decked
    Align honed main bearing bore
    Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
    Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
    4-Bolt Main
    4.000" Bored .040" Over
    1-Piece Rear Main Seal
    Mech fuel pump provision: Yes
    Passenger Side Dipstick
  • Drilled and tapped for clutch linkage
ROTATING ASSEMBLY:
  • New BluePrint Forged Crankshaft
    3.875 " Stroke
    Forged I-beam 6.000" connecting rods
    Forged Pistons
    Internal Front/ External Rear
CYLINDER HEADS:
  • BluePrint Aluminum Cylinder Heads - HP8103
    64cc chamber
    2.08" intake/1.60" exhaust valves
    220cc intake/67cc exhaust runners
CAM SPECS:
  • Cam Type: Roller
    .544 Intake .555 Exhaust
    230 Intake / 236 Exhaust duration
    @ .050, 110 ° lobe separation angle
IGNITION TIMING:
  • 34 degrees total at 3500 RPM
ALSO INCLUDES:
  • Valve covers, oil pan and timing cover
    Brass freeze plugs
    Dyno test results shipped with engine
WARRANTY:

30 month / 50,000 mileNOTES:
  • *A bronze distributor gear is NOT recommended on this engine
    Not for use in pollution controlled vehicles.

https://blueprintengines.com/pages/dyno-promise

C5 Corvette with the LS1 Engine, 1997 to 2000

The standard production option during the C5 model years equipped the Corvette with Chevrolet’s LS1 engine. This aluminum block V-8 had a displacement of 5.7 liters and used sequential multi-port fuel injection to feed gas through two valves per cylinder. Prospective buyers could purchase the C5 Corvette with a four-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Both drivetrains delivered 345 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 350 foot-pounds of torque at 4,400 rpm. "Motor Trend" reported that the LS1 could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, hit 109.3 mph in the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 173.9 mph.

C5 Corvette Z06

In 2001, Chevrolet released the high-performance Z06 Corvette. The company equipped its flagship Z06 with a performance-enhanced version of the LS1 aluminum block V-8, referred to as the LS6. The LS6 engine utilized an overhead valve pushrod system and had a displacement of 5.7 liters and transmitted power through a six-speed Borg-Warner manual transmission. This drivetrain achieved an output of 385 hp at 6,000 rpm and 385 foot-pounds of torque at 4,800 rpm with a redline of 6,500 rpm and a compression ratio of 10.5-to-1. In terms of performance, the Z06 hit a top speed of 171 mph, could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and clock a speed of 114 mph in the quarter-mile with a time of 12.6 seconds.

C5 Corvette Performance Upgrades, 2001 to 2004

Starting in 2001, Chevrolet made performance modifications to the LS1 engine for the C5 Corvette. The company redesigned the fuel injection system to add five horsepower to the engine’s output for a total of 350 at 5,600 rpm and 360 foot-pounds at 4,400 rpm. Any Corvette from 2001 to 2004 equipped with the LS1 engine shared this performance upgrade. In 2002, Chevy also added performance enhancements of a higher-lift camshaft and airflow modifications to the Z06 engine. These changes boosted the output of the Z06 engine to 405 hp at 6,000 rpm and 400 foot-pounds of torque at 4,800 rpm. This enhanced power enabled the Z06 to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and hit a speed of 116 mph in the quarter-mile with a time of 12.4 seconds.

DAMN, pauldana... Cut me some slack. First you talk me into getting on my knees and begging my wife to both allow and forgive me for spending an additional $5.746k on a $8.25k car.... Now you are tempting me with purchasing a different higher priced "money pit"!!!!! Man, that's just cold blooded...LOL. I hope all this "technical" information (you know I don't understand the meaning of) is just to show my engine in my car is capable of "WAXING THESE CARS ***".

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

DAMN, pauldana... Cut me some slack. First you talk me into getting on my knees and begging my wife to both allow and forgive me for spending an additional $5.746k on a $8.25k car.... Now you are tempting me with purchasing a different higher priced "money pit"!!!!! Man, that's just cold blooded...LOL. I hope all this "technical" information (you know I don't understand the meaning of) is just to show my engine in my car is capable of "WAXING THESE CARS ***".

KNOT-HEAD

Brother... What I posted IS the engine you are buying... lol.. smile:-)
KNOT-HEAD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

KNOT-HEAD
Pauldana was (I believe) trying to put into perspective how much power that 396 makes in comparison to some other later-model fast Corvettes. Pretty impressive when you look at it that way. Apples to apples, if you put that 396 in a C5 it would be faster than the Z06. In your C3, I would say you would be roughly on-par with a C5 Z06 in a straight line. There are alot of factors that go into it, and even after the drivetrain loss from your 700r4 you should hopefully make a little more to the tire than a Z06. Who would win on the dragstrip would probably come down to what rear gear you have, how much your car weighs (the Z06 is a lightweight, around 3,150), and grip (the bigger tires on the C5 would hook up better).

You may have mentioned it before, but what exhaust do you have? Hopefully longtube headers. That 396 will want to breathe well, so make sure it isn't choked by too small of exhaust diameter!

EDIT: just googled and saw that Blueprints rates their motors in gross horsepower (which makes sense since they are an engine builder), so that 485 gross horsepower is actually closer to 400 net horsepower (what the Z06 that Pauldana referenced is rated in) once you hook up all the accessories. Doesn't really matter for you, that motor is gonna feel night and day faster than what you are used to!

Last edited by mobird; 09-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Pauldana was (I believe) trying to put into perspective how much power that 396 makes in comparison to some other later-model fast Corvettes. Pretty impressive when you look at it that way. Apples to apples, if you put that 396 in a C5 it would be faster than the Z06. In your C3, I would say you would be roughly on-par with a C5 Z06 in a straight line. There are alot of factors that go into it, and even after the drivetrain loss from your 700r4 you should hopefully make a little more to the tire than a Z06. Who would win on the dragstrip would probably come down to what rear gear you have, how much your car weighs (the Z06 is a lightweight, around 3,150), and grip (the bigger tires on the C5 would hook up better).

You may have mentioned it before, but what exhaust do you have? Hopefully longtube headers. That 396 will want to breathe well, so make sure it isn't choked by too small of exhaust diameter!

Correct in bold
KNOT-HEAD (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Brother... What I posted IS the engine you are buying... lol.. smile:-)

Cool! YOU KNOW I'M OLD!!!! It takes me a little time to catch on. The specs look a little different than is printed out on the bench tested engine but I assume that is to be expected. I like the sound of the cam. I just got word from the trucking company to tel me the engine will be delivered noon Thursday (9/19). I feel like a kid on Christmas. Thanks to all of you looking out for my best interest and your persistence, I think I am finally, after all these years am going to have my dream car. I fell in love with the C2's after a friend of my older brother took me for a ride in his. I was about 14 or 15 but I still can remember the car like it was yesterday. I would have loved to buy one of them but the price is way out of my range.... Who knows....maybe someday!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

EDIT: just googled and saw that Blueprints rates their motors in gross horsepower (which makes sense since they are an engine builder), so that 485 gross horsepower is actually closer to 400 net horsepower (what the Z06 that Pauldana referenced is rated in) once you hook up all the accessories. Doesn't really matter for you, that motor is gonna feel night and day faster than what you are used to!

Thanks,
I told gave the mechanic the information on the universal joints you recommended. I have Patriot PTE-H8025-1 headers. They are a Mid-length, silver ceramic coated Primary Tube diameter (1 5/8"), Collector reducer exit diameter (2.25"). The Summit sales rep. recommended the Mid-length over the full-length because of the low profile of the car. He said the full-length may hang down too low. What did you mean by "400 net horsepower once you hook up the accessories"? Is that the power that meets the road? What accessories? Do you mean A/C, alternator, power steering etc? Anyway, thanks to all of you I know I am going to be glad I did not take another cost savings cut and settle for a less HP engine. Hopefully it will be on the road by the end of next week.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 09-19-2018, 01:34 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct in bold

Thanks,
I finally had an opportunity to play the video you attached. I'm not going to have the same carburetor and intake manifold as in the video. I hope what I have will not hinder the performance of the engine very much. I also like the lope of the cam.

KNOT-HEAD

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
I finally had an opportunity to play the video you attached. I'm not going to have the same carburetor and intake manifold as in the video. I hope what I have will not hinder the performance of the engine very much. I also like the lope of the cam.

KNOT-HEAD
long tube headers.. the summit guy is full of ****

carb needs to be about 750cfm

intake should be match for the engines Operating RPM range
KNOT-HEAD (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Thanks,
I told gave the mechanic the information on the universal joints you recommended. I have Patriot PTE-H8025-1 headers. They are a Mid-length, silver ceramic coated Primary Tube diameter (1 5/8"), Collector reducer exit diameter (2.25"). The Summit sales rep. recommended the Mid-length over the full-length because of the low profile of the car. He said the full-length may hang down too low. What did you mean by "400 net horsepower once you hook up the accessories"? Is that the power that meets the road? What accessories? Do you mean A/C, alternator, power steering etc? Anyway, thanks to all of you I know I am going to be glad I did not take another cost savings cut and settle for a less HP engine. Hopefully it will be on the road by the end of next week.

KNOT-HEAD
So you have probably already figured this out by now, but in most cases you will get better "fitment" information from the forum than from a sales rep. Reason being that the people on the forum actually OWN the cars and have tried the different combos to know what fits. So yeah, longtubes would have been better, but you have mid-length headers and I'm sure they will be fine, better than manifolds anyway!

So there are three main horsepower numbers: Gross, Net, and Wheel. Gross horsepower is when they dyno JUST THE ENGINE with no power steering, alternator, A/C or anything else causing parasitic drag on the drivetrain. This is the highest horsepower number you will see obviously. The next is NET horsepower, NET is the horsepower output of the engine with accessories hooked up as they would be in a car. All modern cars you see today with advertised horsepower numbers are advertised in NET horse power. The last one is WHEEL horsepower (some people would call this "true" horsepower). Wheel horsepower is the amount of power that actually makes it through the drivetrain to the wheels. Transmission ,driveshaft, half shafts, etc... all cause parasitic power loss. People argue all kinds of things about how much is lost from gross to net, and from net to wheel. A rough rule of thumb is 15-20% loss from gross to net and then another 15-20% net to wheel. Auto transmissions tend to be more like 20-25% while manuals are closer to 15%.

So to make that live for you, that Z06 C5 corvette that pauldana listed above was rated at 405 hp from the factory. That is NET horsepower. We can guestimmate that it made something like 450-500 hp on motor (GROSS horsepower) and it would dyno somewhere in the 300-350 horsepower range (WHEEL horsepower).

Your blueprint motor is rated at 485 GROSS horsepower. Depending on your transmission and drivetrain loss, you would theoretically dyno somewhere around 350 hp or so to the tire. It would be fun to make a dyno pull on it once the motor is in to see for yourself!
The following 2 users liked this post by mobird:
jim-81 (09-19-2018), KNOT-HEAD (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

long tube headers.. the summit guy is full of ****

carb needs to be about 750cfm

intake should be match for the engines Operating RPM range
Agreed with all of this!

What carb are you running? And I assume you are sticking with the intake that comes on the 396?
KNOT-HEAD (09-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!