C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to determine possible horse power!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:53 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
Y'all remember the vegetable juice commercial ? ... "I could've had a v8!"

I just began looking at this thread this morning and discovered it was loooong ... some 400 posts so far ... I didn't read all ... sort of sampled throughout 'till here.

Seems clear KNOT-HEAD has had benefit here from LOTS of very good tech advice from several CF members. I was trying to get a handle on knot's immediate & long-term need before I chimed in. By now, there's a lot of water under the bridge.

I'm usually one to suggest either build your own or buy a new Goodwrench iron Vortec L31 crate; swap its cam & rockers for about 400fwhp at about $3K total.
But soon I understand knot's in deep with huge expenditures, bad motor purchase, questionable trans, etc. But most importantly his age, health challenges, and his self-described risk of damaging/losing his marriage. At that point I'd have suggested full-stop and a plan to recoup some losses. I just can't help wonder if knot's bride might've have already retired if his C3 project weren't so large. But the saga continues with another motor; an sbc 396 crate which I truly hope does a great job.

But hindsight's 20/20. That said, with all the bucks thrown at this... seems even Chevy's very hi-po supercharged Z06-LT4 or ZR1-LT5 crates and another hood could've been done for same $.

Regardless, sincerely wish knothead's driveline soon shakes-out satisfactorily and trust he'll remember those gents who've helped him arrive; and that knot maintains clear vision of just what or especially ... who is most important. Best wishes for the Christmas holiday and the new year.
Thanks jackson,
Yup, It's been a long hard road and I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not "A TRAIN". I could not have gotten anywhere if it hadn't been for the great people on this site. True, hind site is defiantly 20/20 but in my opinion learning at the school of hard knocks is the best way to feel proud of your accomplishments. Especially when you have classmates like these guys who openly admit they have been kicked around too. The bruises one receives at this school is a life long badge of honer that can ONLY be appreciated by those of us that have earned them. Anyone with enough desire and money can make the choices you recommended and come out on top. I saw Corvettes in the Asylum shop that were fresh off the assembly line the owners had delivered to them to work their magic on. Now that's the cat's meow! 99.9% of us just can't do that. Wish we could.

As far as beefing up the horsepower even more in a 40 year old vehicle (from what I have learned on this site) may not be a wise and or affordable venture for a nice dependable driver. I have no plans to race this car either on the street or the strip. The frame, suspension, steering, transmission would need to be changed to accommodate the additional weight and torque of that engine. I have a car that is pretty well maxed out with the stock equipment I have although the 700r4 transmission was rebuild to handle 550hp. That's another thing I thank this kind people for. Many of them warned me about the dangers of overpowering the existing equipment I had. Thankfully I finally got through my "KNOT-HEAD" to follow their lead. Because of them I know have a car I can be proud of. There are still some nickle/dime items a COD/ADD/CRS(can't remember s**t) 68 year old fat man still wants to get done properly. Good Lord willing, those will come in time.

Glad you chimed in. If you have the time start at the first discussion and read each follow up conversation. Some of them are not only informative, they are also hilarious

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pauldana
Please post a picture of the dyno supplied by Blueprint Engines on you 396 for me.

Your RWHP Dyno peaks at under 5.4K RPM. that cam should peak around 6K RPM..

Are you running that 2" filter?? what size primaries are your headers again? what size carb are you running?
Yes, I changed back to the 3" air filter. I have the Edelbrock 350-1411 carburetor and 350-7501 Performer intake manifold. I hope that is the one you recommended.

KNOT-HEAD

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
396 Corected power chart.pdf (871.8 KB, 45 views)
HEADERS.pdf (56.4 KB, 52 views)
Borla ProXS Muffledrs 40349.pdf (553.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by KNOT-HEAD; 12-03-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Same cam specs... hp peaks at 6000RPM, yours flats out at 5000rpm.

your chocking off somewhere..

Thanks,
You always said you did not like my headers. The tech at Asylum agreed.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

you are throwing belts because your pulleys are not aligned.

possible ideas...

1. water pump... the water pump, for a corvette has a different snout length. wrong pump will through belts

2. alternator bracket is not put on correctly,, and thus alignment wrong.

FYI, I see 7500 RPM at times,,, (when I over rev) and never through a belt,,,, your alignment os off...
look down all the pulley groves and look at there alinement with each other..
Thanks,
Take a close look at the attached picture. I think you are correct on both counts. Also the alternator belt is not as wide as the A/C belt. It seems to me, all the belts should be the same width because the engine pulleys all have the same groove.

KNOT-HEAD

Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum

There have been numerous threads regarding the issues with members installing the wrong water pumps, even asking for the right one at the counter, installing it , then finding it was incorrect when their pulleys don't align.
Another issue could be how the machanic tightened the belts.
I have seen where someone will pry the accessory with a tool to get the proper tension on the belt, tighten the bolts and not check that the accessory is straight, leaving the pulley askew, and throwing the belt.
Keep in mind that if one belt throws it will quite possibly hit and throw the belts around it as well.
Pop the hood and post a couple of photos.
Thanks,
The A/C belt came off first. That is the first time it did that. The alternator belt came off the day before. I think the A/C belt just needed to be retention-ed because it had stretched after 600 miles on the engine. I agree that the alternator is not lined up with the engine pulleys and that belt is not as wide as the others.

KNOT-HEAD

Old 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-HEAD
Yes, I changed back to the 3" air filter. I have the Edelbrock 350-1411 carburetor and 350-7501 Performer intake manifold. I hope that is the one you recommended.

KNOT-HEAD
Thanks,
You always said you did not like my headers. The tech at Asylum agreed.

KNOT-HEAD
i looked at your engine dyno... like i thought, 5900-6000 rpm peek

but you go flat at 5100ish

yep.. crap headers,,, change to some good long tube w/X-pipe ... bet you pick up 25-30 rwhp...

Last edited by pauldana; 12-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KNOT-HEAD (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

i looked at your engine dyno... like i thought, 5900-6000 rpm peek

but you go flat at 5100ish

yep.. crap headers,,, change to some good long tube w/X-pipe ... bet you pick up 25-30 rwhp...
Thanks,
Got any recommendations on the name and part number of the headers and X tubes you recommend? I may be able to slip them by the boss in a few months, if I can sell the "CRAP" headers, I have already spent my hard earned money on!...LOL! 30 more RWHP would be nice.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
Got any recommendations on the name and part number of the headers and X tubes you recommend? I may be able to slip them by the boss in a few months, if I can sell the "CRAP" headers, I have already spent my hard earned money on!...LOL! 30 more RWHP would be nice.

KNOT-HEAD
Not as expensive as mine... lol....

but still pricy...https://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Header...791+4294828856

or. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...model/corvette

This is what I have.... no, you do not need this..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...model/corvette

Last edited by pauldana; 12-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Not as expensive as mine... lol....

but still pricy...https://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Header...791+4294828856

or. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...model/corvette

This is what I have.... no, you do not need this..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...model/corvette
Thanks,
Yea, $800 bucks plus labor and the crossover pipes are going to be a little too much to handle right now. The pretty ones you have for $400 more is a little out of my league. Hopefully someday I will get there.

You know, Christmas is the time for GIVING! I can message you my address and you should be able to have Santa Clause slip them under my tree by Christmas morning. If you did, I "MAY" stop calling you "grouchy old man and scrooge" LOL!

I guess $3k for another 30hp is understandable if that means winning or loosing a big race. Right now, I'm just trying to keep the car on the road and enjoy the ride (for a change) and not have to call AAA and have it towed back to the shop. I'm hoping to get it back out the shop AGAIN to drive to my wife's company Christmas party Friday. They still can't find the correct head light replacement switch. Willcox has one on their website but none in stock. They are still working on the temperature and oil pressure gauge to get them working correctly. The big issue right now is throwing the belts. I forwarded them all the information from this site. With that, they should get it right this time.

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
Avoid the Christmas rush. SHIP THOSE HEADERS AND CROSSOVER PIPES EARLY!!!!!!!
Have a blessed day and a safe and VERY Merry Christmas.

Last edited by KNOT-HEAD; 12-06-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: EDIT TEXT
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
Yea, $800 bucks plus labor and the crossover pipes are going to be a little too much to handle right now. The pretty ones you have for $400 more is a little out of my league. Hopefully someday I will get there.

You know, Christmas is the time for GIVING! I can message you my address and you should be able to have Santa Clause slip them under my tree by Christmas morning. If you did, I "MAY" stop calling you "grouchy old man and scrooge" LOL!

I guess $3k for another 30hp is understandable if that means winning or loosing a big race. Right now, I'm just trying to keep the car on the road and enjoy the ride (for a change) and not have to call AAA and have it towed back to the shop. I'm hoping to get it back out the shop AGAIN to drive to my wife's company Christmas party Friday. They still can't find the correct head light replacement switch. Willcox has one on their website but none in stock. They are still working on the temperature and oil pressure gauge to get them working correctly. The big issue right now is throwing the belts. I forwarded them all the information from this site. With that, they should get it right this time.

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
Avoid the Christmas rush. SHIP THOSE HEADERS AND CROSSOVER PIPES EARLY!!!!!!!
Have a blessed day and a safe and VERY Merry Christmas.
sorry:-(
my Christmas shopping is already complete...

And I will be in BoraBora for 3-4 weeks with my wife on a photo shoot for
Beach Bunny

maybey next year:-)

Last edited by pauldana; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry:-(
my Christmas shopping is already complete...

And I will be in BoraBora for 3-4 weeks with my wife on a photo shoot for
Beach Bunny

maybey next year:-)

Thanks,
I'll put up the tree early NEXT year, so you don't have to rush.

Boy...your life really SUCKS. Have to remember all the names and horse power of all those different cars and if THAT'S not enough, NOW your WIFE is FORCING you to spend Christmas in a place, "WHERE THE WOMEN DON'T WEAR NO CLOTHS", like BoraBora and for damn near a whole month. I have always been raised to put forth a helping hand to those less fortunate than myself. Do you need any help dusting the sand off the models?

P.S.
My wife and I got married. Went on a one week honeymoon. Six month later took a vacation then TWENTY TWO years later took our second vacation (work, kids...that sort of things held us up). When she asked me where I wanted to go on vacation, the only thing I replied was.... "SOMEWHERE THE WOMEN DON'T WEAR NO CLOTHS"!!!!! So went to Cancun. Message some pictures.
Have a great time. That was dumb. How could you NOT!

KNOT-HEAD

Last edited by KNOT-HEAD; 12-07-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stumpshot
The Borgeson is a couple days work (for me, by myself) but is not that difficult. Compressing the steering column and pulling it back out is a chore. Depending on your headers you may have to ding them to get clearance but maybe not. The kit comes with a new rag joint which is a plus. Getting the plumbing in is pretty straight forward but sealing the high pressure line at the box takes a lot of torque and the installation of some kit-supplied adapters that need to be seated square in the box. As with any custom installation, it takes time but lots of people here have done it and there is plenty of help when you need it. Good winter work.
Thanks,
That is a great idea but just the parts are almost $1k. I am already too deep into this bucket of bolts to catch a gasp of air. The mechanic shop changed out the booster cylinder that was leaking. I had just changed it about 200 miles ago. Hope this one last longer.

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-07-2018, 11:40 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks,
I'll put up the tree early NEXT year, so you don't have to rush.

Boy...your life really SUCKS. Have to remember all the names and horse power of all those different cars and if THAT'S not enough, NOW your WIFE is FORCING you to spend Christmas in a place, "WHERE THE WOMEN DON'T WEAR NO CLOTHS", like BoraBora and for damn near a whole month. I have always been raised to put forth a helping hand to those less fortunate than myself. Do you need any help dusting the sand off the models?

P.S.
My wife and I got married. Went on a one week honeymoon. Six month later took a vacation then TWENTY TWO years later took our second vacation (work, kids...that sort of things held us up). When she asked me where I wanted to go on vacation, the only thing I replied was.... "SOMEWHERE THE WOMEN DON'T WEAR NO CLOTHS"!!!!! So went to Cancun. Message some pictures.
Have a great time. That was dumb. How could you NOT!

KNOT-HEAD
Your a good guy... I can tell how you talk about your life and you have your priorities correct, with your wife and alll
I have worked a lot in my life..
but have also had some luck...right place right time...
This is from a shoot last year in Maldives.... she was 34yo here... 35 now,,,,

Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

KNOT-HEAD (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:18 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

One of the many things I admire you about! A MAN OF FEW WORDS! As the old adage states "A picture is worth a thousand words"!

GOOD GOOGY-MOOGY! You DA-man! I feel so sorry for you, being such an abused husband with a wife like yours FORCING you to lower your normally HIGH (automotive) standards by being in such close proximity with these poor creatures that can apparently NOT afford warm cloths in the WINTER time. When you could have stayed home and enjoyed yourself doing something you love, like changing the oil in some of your cars then allowing the oil to glide through your fingers, while checking it's viscosity!!!! I know deep ("DEEP") down in your heart, you are only there in a purely charitable attempt to possibly lift the spirits of such needy ladies less fortunate than you and possibly offer them a clean dry towel or even to apply warming suntan lotion to their weather ravaged exposed parts. You are TRULY a saint!

Keep in mind, you have roused a true desire in me to follow in your gracious footsteps by attempting too help you fulfill your charitable goals. I have accrued ninety-five paid leave hours through my employer and would gladly sacrifice those hours to assist you in your mission on the BoraBora beaches by bringing warm cloths to those in need! I will also supply a large quantity (gallons) of suntan lotion (with Lanolin) to help ease their pain!

Keep those pictures coming. They are truly inspirational!

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
The wife and I put about 300 uninterrupted city and highway miles on the car this weekend. Beleave it or not. Nothing broke down! Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

One of the many things I admire you about! A MAN OF FEW WORDS! As the old adage states "A picture is worth a thousand words"!

GOOD GOOGY-MOOGY! You DA-man! I feel so sorry for you, being such an abused husband with a wife like yours FORCING you to lower your normally HIGH (automotive) standards by being in such close proximity with these poor creatures that can apparently NOT afford warm cloths in the WINTER time. When you could have stayed home and enjoyed yourself doing something you love, like changing the oil in some of your cars then allowing the oil to glide through your fingers, while checking it's viscosity!!!! I know deep ("DEEP") down in your heart, you are only there in a purely charitable attempt to possibly lift the spirits of such needy ladies less fortunate than you and possibly offer them a clean dry towel or even to apply warming suntan lotion to their weather ravaged exposed parts. You are TRULY a saint!

Keep in mind, you have roused a true desire in me to follow in your gracious footsteps by attempting too help you fulfill your charitable goals. I have accrued ninety-five paid leave hours through my employer and would gladly sacrifice those hours to assist you in your mission on the BoraBora beaches by bringing warm cloths to those in need! I will also supply a large quantity (gallons) of suntan lotion (with Lanolin) to help ease their pain!

Keep those pictures coming. They are truly inspirational!

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
The wife and I put about 300 uninterrupted city and highway miles on the car this weekend. Beleave it or not. Nothing broke down! Thanks again for all the help!

Beautiful women and beautiful cars have one thing in common... Both are high maintenance.... We have been together 15 years now and have a little 8yo boy... lately she has been asking for another... tis life..

BTW.. she's smart too... masters in languages, and can speak 8, and certified in 4

Last edited by pauldana; 12-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.
KNOT-HEAD (12-12-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:26 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

My wife is 58 and she has been able to keep her perfect body, health and personality.
We push each other to keep in shape and stay healthy.
She made it sooo easy to find a corvette for sale at the car shows.
All she had to do was stand near any car that was for sale and the owners would be falling all over themselves.
Would she like to sit behind the wheel, would she like to pop open the hood, the latch is right under here, here are the keys just fire it up for us???????
I'm the luckiest man alive.
KNOT-HEAD (12-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Help to determine possible horse power!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:45 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Beautiful women and beautiful cars have one thing in common... Both are high maintenance.... We have been together 15 years now and have a little 8yo boy... lately she has been asking for another... tis life..

BTW.. she's smart too... masters in languages, and can speak 8, and certified in 4
Are you telling me this is a picture of your wife? If it is...YOUR LIFE SUCKS EVEN MORE THAN I THOUGHT....LOL!!!!!

My wife was a part time model (see attached 1977, highway billboard, news paper and magazine advertisement picture. She's the blond on the far left "NOT" the one on the right). She was and still is beautiful, inside and out. God only knows why he stuck her with me. I wish I could say she was also very smart but that is very apparently NOT TRUE! Why else would she stay married to a KNOT-HEAD like me for going on 41 years!

If your wife wants another kid.... I can hook her up....NOT THAT WAY, YOU DIRTY OLD BASTARD! We got two boys in their late thirties. Y'all are welcome to one of them. If I were you, I'd pick the oldest one. He loves cars. I worked with a "double E" (instrument and electrical engineer, also a front line Vietnam Veteran) for a few years, during early 90's. Prior to me meeting him, he had and affair with a younger woman and eventually divorced his current wife and married the younger lady. She became pregnant when he was in his "mid fifties". We were the same age. My wife and I already had two boys. At that time they were in their teens. I couldn't see having a new born that late in life so I hurried up and got a vasectomy, even though my wife had already had a hysterectomy. Kinda like why God put nipples on a man....JUST IN CASE! I figured I wasn't about to take any chances. If she got pregnant after all that....SOME DOCTORS WERE GOING TO PAY...BIG TIME!

It always amazes me how someone can be multilingual. Here in south Louisiana, Cajun french used to be very common. Now only the country folk speak it. I used to love going to the hunting camp when I was young and listen to those Coon Asses slamming down playing cards and rattle on back and forth in Cajun French over a hot, nickle, dime, quarter "Boo-ray" card game! I took French in high school to help me understand what they were saying to each other. Cajun French is a whole different animal than the France French taught in school, so that class didn't help at all. I picked up a few curse words in Cajun and that's about it. I truly miss those days.

In the Louisiana/Texas industrial construction business we have a lot of Hispanic craftsmen. Most speak both English and Spanish but prefer Spanish. As an on site manager/supervisor, I needed to be able too communicate directions to everyone on the job site. I even bought a Rosetta Stone CD in an attempt to learn Spanish. The Hispanic guys on the crew like to have busted a gut when I told them what I had done. I could actually say "the apple is red" and crap like that. Needless to say, that didn't last long. We communicated as best we could and got the job done safety.

Not to change the subject but you know me...always needy. The car is beginning to diesel again and run rough until the operating temperature reaches about 200 degrees then it smooths right out. I also noticed the idle has gone up from what Asylum set it at (6k rpm) to 10k rpm. I think the electric choke is sticking but I haven't looked at it yet. It's well after dark before I get home. I am driving the car to work every day to log some miles on the engine and transmission. I have about 1k miles on it now. How do I set an electric choke? I'm also going to Google it!

KNOT-HEAD

P.S.
I know you are old and will be miserable but don't forget to send more pictures (preferable VIA messaging). I'm attempting to start a non-profit charitable origination designed to collect warm clothing for all those less fortunate ladies on the beach in BoraBora. I'm naming it (in your wife's honor) the, "A BEACH BUNNY IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE" foundation. Of course to keep it on the up and up plus help eliminate the potential scrutiny of the validity of the charity, I will need numerous pictures to reinforce these poor, undernourished, scantily clad, ladies cry for help! "DON'T LET THEM DOWN"!

Last edited by KNOT-HEAD; 12-12-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Re-wording
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM
KNOT-HEAD
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
My wife is 58 and she has been able to keep her perfect body, health and personality.
We push each other to keep in shape and stay healthy.
She made it sooo easy to find a corvette for sale at the car shows.
All she had to do was stand near any car that was for sale and the owners would be falling all over themselves.
Would she like to sit behind the wheel, would she like to pop open the hood, the latch is right under here, here are the keys just fire it up for us???????
I'm the luckiest man alive.
Thanks,
Up until recently I could say the same. Sadly, the past few years has taken a tole on both of us. Sixty seemed to be the turning point for each of us. We both seemed to have lost our motivation, partially to do with my wife's health issues. I had been told by others and have recently learned for myself, the "care giver" undergoes the same hardship as the one receiving the "care". I truly pray that you and your spouse each live a long, happy, illness free and prosperous life.

Always be grateful for the blessings you receive. Just think..... YOU COULD HAVE HAD A SUCKY LIFE similar to pauldana's and be FORCED to spend three to four grueling weeks in a terrible place, surrounded by poor unfortunate, scantily clad, "apparently" malnourished ladies (most of then very young) struggling to survive on the beaches of BoraBora! YES! COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!

KNOT-HEAD
Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

My wife will always be the most beautiful woman in the world to me.
Outwardly appearance means nothing when I can look into her eyes and see the beautiful person within.
I'm certain you feel the same.
KNOT-HEAD (12-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Help to determine possible horse power!