C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Aeros?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
If anyone hasn't reviewed BeeJay's solution to the front air splitter/ extended spoiler, you're really missing out.

IMHO, THIS in plastic is exactly what the world of C3s needs. Start with the Pace Car front spoiler and then a plastic splitter based upon BeeJay's design, 2 bolts, and a piece of aluminum angle iron and some rubber for a spoiler that gets nice and low to the ground.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580644282

Then a rear diffuser that starts just behind the diff / spring...

Adam
This is actually what I fully intend to do, when it eventually gets to the top of my list. I plan to make a deeper splitter than Beejay, or potentially an additional length that can be attached at the track, to try and get some useful force from it. I will also add another pair of stays further to the sides of the car, as I don't think Beejays design would transfer a lot of the force from the splitter to the chassis with only the two central stays - but nor was it intended to, he built it mainly to protect his pace car spoiler from bumps, something that I need also. I do have thoughts to build a diffuser for the rear also, but I doubt that it will be very effective at creating any downforce due to how turbulent the air under the car is - I have looked into how I might add some flat undertrays to try and improve it. All of this will happen at some point, but likely not terribly soon.

Adam, it may interest you that I have done quite a bit of reading on splitter materials in planning for this, and plastic is not regarded as a good choice - too heavy and not stiff enough. Plywood or various composite materials are the most common/popular choices for stiffness against weight, with plywood winning for most due to its wear properties (won't splinter into a million pieces on bumping a curb etc.) and cost. I was surprised too, but plywood seems to be a good choice. Some people are using plastic as a thin layer underneath as a wear surface.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:59 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Adam, it may interest you that I have done quite a bit of reading on splitter materials in planning for this, and plastic is not regarded as a good choice - too heavy and not stiff enough. Plywood or various composite materials are the most common/popular choices for stiffness against weight, with plywood winning for most due to its wear properties (won't splinter into a million pieces on bumping a curb etc.) and cost. I was surprised too, but plywood seems to be a good choice. Some people are using plastic as a thin layer underneath as a wear surface.
I have been considering a splitter for my PC spoiler also. I thought about spraying plywood with pickup box liner. That stuff is tuff and would probably make the plywood stiffer and far less susceptible to damage.

Mike
NewbVetteGuy (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:19 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm shocked. This is great info. I figured plywood would be FAR too heavy.

For any underbody/belly trays, plastic aluminum is still preferred as the rigidity isn't as important there, though; right?

Adam
Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 PM
BigBlock77
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Birch plywood is often made from thinner laminates and is both light and strong. They use it quite a bit to make lightweight guitar and bass amplifier and speaker enclosures. You may have to find it at a real lumber supply rather than the big box stores like HD or Lowes.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Guys, I certainly think a splitter or a spoiler is a good idea, but ya can't combine them ***** nilly. In a previous post there's a picture of a splitter (which works by allowing fast moving air to create a low pressure zone) with a spoiler (which works by slowing/stopping air to create a high pressure zone ahead of it) mounted down downstream. There seems to be some serious negation/inefficiency with this combination.
​​​​​​​ It seems the choice should be made whether to keep air out, via a low spoiler, or allowing any air going under the car to remain in a high velocity state. Letting it under the car, and purposely slowing it down seems counter productive, both from an aero perspective and from a componentweight perspective.
Metalhead140 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Steven24f
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found these pictures on social media a while back the car belongs to Garrett Randall and it the sharpest looking rear diffuser I've seen to this day on a c3
Old 08-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69427
Guys, I certainly think a splitter or a spoiler is a good idea, but ya can't combine them ***** nilly. In a previous post there's a picture of a splitter (which works by allowing fast moving air to create a low pressure zone) with a spoiler (which works by slowing/stopping air to create a high pressure zone ahead of it) mounted down downstream. There seems to be some serious negation/inefficiency with this combination.
​​​​​​​ It seems the choice should be made whether to keep air out, via a low spoiler, or allowing any air going under the car to remain in a high velocity state. Letting it under the car, and purposely slowing it down seems counter productive, both from an aero perspective and from a componentweight perspective.
Agreed, the model that Beejay had with the extra flap at the back of the splitter did not make sense aerodynamically. I don't think he retained that flap for long from memory.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven24f

I found these pictures on social media a while back the car belongs to Garrett Randall and it the sharpest looking rear diffuser I've seen to this day on a c3
Looks nice, but I'd be surprised if it does much - air would be too turbulent. I don't think it extends far enough forward and/or not enough has been done to smooth the airflow underneath for me to think that it would do much to improve the aerodynamics. It may reduce a little drag at the rear, but I'm doubtful that it creates any downforce.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Looks nice, but I'd be surprised if it does much - air would be too turbulent. I don't think it extends far enough forward and/or not enough has been done to smooth the airflow underneath for me to think that it would do much to improve the aerodynamics. It may reduce a little drag at the rear, but I'm doubtful that it creates any downforce.
​​​​​​​I agree.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:50 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Two Thoughts?

I have read it here that removing the rear window makes it much more quiet.
That being said, would that act as a diffuser?

Second: I just saw the beautiful Green Mamba Pro Tourer.
Very nice splitter in front.
In most shots the rear has a full wing.
I did see a video where a flat plate acts as a bolt on spoiler.
There seems to be a gap at the bottom.
That could also act as a diffuser of sorts?

I do like the idea of bolting on as much spoiler as needed!

JMHO

R
Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Check out Dynamic Corvettes. com. I saw their display at Carlisle and they had some cool stuff for our cars. They had f-glass bumpers and splitters and such.

Last edited by Pop Chevy; 08-31-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Better Aeros?