C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace window motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM
tehjrow
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replace window motor

I have a 1981 Corvette that I want to change the window motors in. I did this in my previous 1981 and ended up having to pull the entire window and assembly out because the motor wouldn't come out otherwise. Did I miss something? Can you replace the motor without taking everything out of the door?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:23 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure how much you call everything but you need to pull the regulator to swap the motor, are you chasing a issue or just want new motors
Old 08-19-2018, 03:29 PM
tehjrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by danh77
Not sure how much you call everything but you need to pull the regulator to swap the motor, are you chasing a issue or just want new motors
Just want new motors, I replaced the one on my other vette and it was super fast to roll up. I took the tracks out, the glass out, and the big spring.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dow-motor.html
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 PM
dalane
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the middle of rebuilding the regulator, replacing motor, all rollers etc. Somewhere in this process I saw a reference to replacing the motor without pulling the regulator out. However if they are slow, you may have other issues in the system, just shine a light in and check it all out. The trick is to get the window in the correct position where you can put a 1/4-20 bolt in to keep the spring from releasing and breaking your arm and maybe putting a hole in your door! Since you've replaced one before, you know there are 3 bolts that hold the motor in place - but you gotta put that bolt in before you touch those bolts.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:02 PM
tehjrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by dalane
I am in the middle of rebuilding the regulator, replacing motor, all rollers etc. Somewhere in this process I saw a reference to replacing the motor without pulling the regulator out. However if they are slow, you may have other issues in the system, just shine a light in and check it all out. The trick is to get the window in the correct position where you can put a 1/4-20 bolt in to keep the spring from releasing and breaking your arm and maybe putting a hole in your door! Since you've replaced one before, you know there are 3 bolts that hold the motor in place - but you gotta put that bolt in before you touch those bolts.
I really am trying to avoid drilling out the rivets again
Old 08-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Just start with the window UP.
The big spring will hold it up while you replace the motor.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:14 PM
dalane
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Just start with the window UP.
The big spring will hold it up while you replace the motor.
Looks like you've been around a while Peterbuilt, assume you've done this before. Shouldn't you at least put a C-clamp or something on the regulator to keep that sucker from biting you?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

If the BIG spring is good the window will stay UP.

I'm surprised that just changing the motor made the OP's window go faster, usually, the old grease has turned to wax which is what slows everything down.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace window motor

Quick Reply: Replace window motor