C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Vette Bad Ground Connection on Blinker

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 PM
NateAggs
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 81 Vette Bad Ground Connection on Blinker

So my right blinker is giving me some issues. I found out the bulbs were bad, and double checked the connection to the main grounding location on the frame, all good there.

But what I discovered was that the grounding wire connection point at the blinker was broken. I've attached a couple pictures of what it looks like. Half of the connection piece has broken off. You can see in the side view that it curves - that's supposed to be a 180-degree turn and mirror the other side. I've tried going to a couple auto part stores and they don't have the piece that I'm looking for.

I'm not to keen on sawing off some of the plastic and using electrical tape to ground the wire because I want to keep this car in as good of condition as I can. Does anybody have recommendations?

Side view

Top view

Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Get a Packard terminal and just cut that one off and replace it, then re-insert it into the connector- Wire will be a touch short, but still be, in effect, original. IIRC the Packard number is J-56. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 PM
NateAggs
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate it! I ended up buying a whole new socket for the bulb, as they were available at my auto store, and I would have had to cut the plastic housing. The 90-degree bulb sockets fit and work great.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:06 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,154 Likes on 2,341 Posts

That picture looks familiar! I didn't mess with the old sockets either, and just ordered 4 new ones from a Corvette vendor and spliced all new ones in. I went to the 68-style tail-lights at the same time (all four light for brakes). Glad it worked out for you!

This was last spring:

Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

There is also a needed ground path from the socket to the lamp body. 40 year old copper to pot metal will corrode between and reduce or stop current.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-05-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Vette Bad Ground Connection on Blinker

Quick Reply: 81 Vette Bad Ground Connection on Blinker