C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 C3 longtube headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 1977 C3 longtube headers

Hey everyone

I thought the original exhaust would hold up a little longer but no...Yesterday my exhaust broke apart because of rust (it was completely rotten).
So now that I'm taking off the exhaust pipes, I'm thinking of finally going for a true dual with H-pipe.

But first things first ofcourse and that are longtube headers!
- My budget is between 250 $ and 350 $.
- I want a set that will fit in with no problems.
- My engine is an original L48 (I'll only install a Performer intake that I have laying around upcoming winter). So I understand that the primaries may not be to big?
- I'm just a street driver, so ground clearence is important.
- I don't care about the brand. They just have to be good price/quality.

- I would prefere a ceramic coating on the inside and outside (Quality coating!). I have read about ceramic coated headers, and it seems that the factory coating is only on the outside... Is that true?
Because of that I'm thinking of buying a steel set and let a shop in Belgium put a ceramic coating on them. I may even go stainless if it is possible to put a ceramic coating on it that holds up...?.

What do you think?
Sorry guys, I know that these are a lot of questions, but understand that I'm from Europe and I want to buy a product that has a guaranteed fit and is of good quality (Headers+shipping+import tax are expensive!).

Old 08-28-2018, 09:29 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

For that money I'd be looking at EBay, but I don't know how the shipping would work out for you.

You might consider a set of shorties vs longtube if fitment is primary.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I went with Flowtechs from Summit easy fit not to low. I'm happy
Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by croaker:
Novusuhu (09-02-2018), worship79 (06-16-2020)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,654 Likes on 2,916 Posts

If perfect fit, ground clearance and ceramic coating inside and outside are important, look at Sanderson Short tube Headers.
On a street driven car short tube headers produce more torque and horsepower than long tube headers until you run up to around 5500 rpm.
The following users liked this post:
Bearded_Dragon (07-26-2021)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by croaker
What was the product number?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
If perfect fit, ground clearance and ceramic coating inside and outside are important, look at Sanderson Short tube Headers.
On a street driven car short tube headers produce more torque and horsepower than long tube headers until you run up to around 5500 rpm.
The rusted exhaust that was on was also very very low to the ground (especially in the rear), but I didn't have any problems on the streets with it.
I'd rather go for longtube headers.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
- I would prefere a ceramic coating on the inside and outside (Quality coating!). I have read about ceramic coated headers, and it seems that the factory coating is only on the outside... Is that true?
Because of that I'm thinking of buying a steel set and let a shop in Belgium put a ceramic coating on them. I may even go stainless if it is possible to put a ceramic coating on it that holds up...?.
I got some prices for coating here in Belgium, but it's just to expensive they ask about € 800 to put a ceramic coat on a set of headers....

So I will buy a set that is already coated.
Lets say for ceramic coated lth, my budget is around 350$. What can I get for that? What will fit in easy and hang not to low?

Last edited by Novusuhu; 08-29-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

How big should the primaries of the headers be for an original L48 (with performer intake as future upgrade)?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Here we go again: Shorties vs Long-Tube.
Some say shorties are just a notch better than those crappy old iron exhaust manifolds.

One thing to look for regardless of long-tube brand, is on a three bolt header collector flange that one of the "points" of the triangular flange, is not facing down on the collector. Unfortunately on mine that point is the only part of the exhaust that scrapes speedbumps, low curbs, dead cats, etc. Note in the picture above the points are horizontal or parallel to the ground. Makes a big difference. (good job Croaker)

Not sure about prices in Europe but ceramic coating in the U.S. would fetch well over $400 for a set, plus the exhaust system needs. Without the coating you would be back to square one in a few yrs with rusty, narly looking headers. Ceramic is an excellent long-term investment.

And tube size of 1 5/8" will do just fine on the primaries.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 08-29-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Here we go again: Shorties vs Long-Tube.
Some say shorties are just a notch better than those crappy old iron exhaust manifolds.

One thing to look for regardless of long-tube brand, is on a three bolt header collector flange that one of the "points" of the triangular flange, is not facing down on the collector. Unfortunately on mine that point is the only part of the exhaust that scrapes speedbumps, low curbs, dead cats, etc. Note in the picture above the points are horizontal or parallel to the ground. Makes a big difference. (good job Croaker)

Not sure about prices in Europe but ceramic coating in the U.S. would fetch well over $400 for a set, plus the exhaust system needs. Without the coating you would be back to square one in a few yrs with rusty, narly looking headers. Ceramic is an excellent long-term investment.

And tube size of 1 5/8" will do just fine on the primaries.
What about Summit headers? Are they 'good' (I'm not a pro racer, so I don't want to spent 'a fortune' on just headers (I think there are other upgrades and resto's that are more worthwile).
If so what headers will fit?
I found these ones:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g9101
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Check out Eastwood company for a ceramic coating in aerosol cans. They have a tube that let's you coat the inside too. Go with long tubes.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
What about Summit headers? Are they 'good' (I'm not a pro racer, so I don't want to spent 'a fortune' on just headers (I think there are other upgrades and resto's that are more worthwile).
If so what headers will fit?
I found these ones:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g9101
Just found out that the headers from the link won't fit Corvettes in general.
What about Flowtech? https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/big-31106flt
I couldn't find Dynomax headers on Jegs or Summit... Also not on Ebay. Are they still making headers?
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Not sure Dynomax got into making headers. They make a good muffler though. Perhaps you mean Dyno-Tech. Try another search at Summit but enter your make, model, yr, first under the exhaust / header category. Price was right on the others, but . . . . . . .
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Steven24f
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1979 and also wanted to go for longtube headers hoping to squeeze out every bit of horsepower I could, so I decided to go with $200 ebay headers because I had heard of clearance issues and didn't want to run into the same problem but as you can see not drivable. My car is lowered also but don't risk it with ebay ones

Last edited by Steven24f; 08-29-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

That's a shame. Nice lookin' pipes. I also see low ride sidewalls too? But at least the collector flange is movable to any position.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Rods 79
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW, I put on new Patriot Tight Tuck Headers with dual exhaust on my 79. Purchased from CorvetteCentral.com. I've only been running them for about a month but like them and the clearance they provide.

Exhaust pipes connected to Patriot Tight Tuck Headers (Shorty Headers)

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 C3 longtube headers

Old 08-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Do not waste money on short headers unless it is the only alternative. It is a myth that they work better anywhere than a long tube header.
The long tube headers direct pulses into the collector and these pulses scavenge other cylinders. Headers on a bone stock 350 are worth as much as 50 ft/lbs. torque down low at 2000-3000 rpm......this is power you can feel. Team this with a low restriction exhaust and fine tuning on timing and jetting and many a L-48 have been surprisingly woken up by these simple mods........
I like Hedman....but there are many high quality units out there. Do your research. The intake will make a great compliment to everything else when you are ready. Do not listen to the nay-sayers......the intake is worth 15-20 horsepower over the stock unit..........it you get brave and bolt a set of Comp 1.6 rockers on (roller tip style)......you will see even more.

Have fun,
Jebby
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Not sure Dynomax got into making headers. They make a good muffler though. Perhaps you mean Dyno-Tech. Try another search at Summit but enter your make, model, yr, first under the exhaust / header category. Price was right on the others, but . . . . . . .
dynomax use to make headers for a c3. In guessing they got out of the header business. I had a set some years ago, but eventually replaced them with some Hooker super comps. They Dynomax’s just would never seal right.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Flowtech are owned by Holley and are in your budget as coated headers; 1 5/8” primary ID, which is what you want. They’re not equal length and they’re made in China, but they fit with like every C3 accessory. Just tune up your ignition timing and carb after installing so you don’t over heat them and cook off the header coating.

Autozone.com carries them and generally emails 20% off a single item coupons that can be applied to these headers.

Adam

Quick Reply: 1977 C3 longtube headers