C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Piston Top Carbon: How?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Ference
I wonder how old some of the posters on here are.

Just saying.
Recent surveys on this forum have shown that the average age of posters are from 90-105 yrs old.

Why?

Those damn C3 "brake pedal to the floor" makes us all old!

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Steve Ference
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Recent surveys on this forum have shown that the average age of posters are from 90-105 yrs old.

Why?

Those damn C3 brake pedal to the floor makes us all old!
LOL, I have had my one and only C3 for over 35 years and the brakes are better than my jeep gc 5.7 hemi.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:05 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Ference
Lol, I was just wondering how little vehicle experience some posters here have, and they have a Corvette, wow.

Not predominantly this thread, but maybe others like, "one headlight is not working".

A Corvette, is just a car, right?
I’m one of those people, for sure. When I turned 14 my dad took me out into the shop at our family farm and said “you can get your permit in a year. So THERE’s your car (pointing to a blue 1987 Monte Carlo SS), and THERE’s your engine (pointing to a 305 and 700r4 sitting on the floor across the shop). You’ve got one year!” -Then he left. Took me like half a day to realize he meant I was supposed to put the engine in the car and somehow figure out how to hook it up and make it work. No instructions, no help.

Couldn’t figure out a damn thing; learning curve was way too sharp that way. I’d ask questions and he’d just say “figure it out; if it was a computer you would’ve been doing burnouts already” (as good of a motivator as he is a teacher). Fucked that car up 10 ways to Sunday and my dad and his friend had to do most of the work and fix it after me and the friends who I suckered into helping. Damn car broke down reliable about every 30 days; the first time because there was no hookup for overdrive and the TV cable wasn’t setup right (30 days after getting that evil car working the transmission burnt out).

I graduated high school in 1999 and went to Purdue in the middle of the Tech Boom; computers were my passion and I left college after one semester to get a job teaching IT certifications and getting paid to take classes and tests when I wasn’t teaching. I bought a brand new car ASAP so I’d never have to deal with the bullshit that Monte put me through. Working on a car gave me a minor case of PTSD.

It wasn’t until I had the opportunity to pickup the family’s 79 Vette that I even considered it. I jumped on Corvette forum in 2016 trying to learn all I could to see if me owning and working on this car was even going to be possible. I had the car shipped out here last winter and I’ve been learning one system, tool, and procedure at a time, but I do my homework and “go deep” on each system. I still have near zero experience, but 3 weekends ago I pulled the engine by myself and I’ve town it down to a bare block except for oil pump, Pistons, rods, and crank at this point.

Theory is easy for me (I taught IT certification classes to career changers at age 20, at community college at 21 and got hired by Microsoft full time at 23); but I have to understand the theory to make what feels like the huge leap to practice when I don’t have any experience at something.

Now that I’ve pulled this engine, I think I officially have a new hobby, which I need because I basically just type on my computer all day.

I’m 37, but I have the mechanical experience of probably the average 19 year old. I get digital; it’s analog that confuses me. (Which is why I have a great Qjet for sale! Carbeuretors are freaking witchcraft as far as I’m concerned; efi talks to you and you can talk back to it.)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 10-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Piston Top Carbon: How?