piller post weatherstrip lower end question? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

piller post weatherstrip lower end question?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM
  #1  
stingraygene
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: near Madison, WI (Brooklyn, wi)
Posts: 80
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default piller post weatherstrip lower end question?

I ordered the weatherstrip kit for my 71. all the weatherstripping except one rear piece by window glass was removed before I got the car. so.. I'm shooting somewhat in the dark putting them on as I have nothing to look at except pics on net. I see the front rubber moulding piece for the piller goes on the metal bracket and has screw holes to mount to post. but the lower piece of the same moulding kind of hangs down and follows door opening for about 5 inches. I see one screw hole in that section of moulding and I see the hole in the car there.. but towards end of that weather strip their isn't a hole but a indentation in molding with steel inside it.. am I to drill a hole in that and screw/pop-rivet it too or just go with the one hole in that lower piece of the rubber moulding?
stingraygene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:47 PM
  #2  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 18,321
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

If you have holes in the lower extension of the pillar post w/strip. I would double check and make sure that there is not a hole for the screw.

It takes two pan head Phillips head screws to hold the extension to the steel portion of the car. And Your extension should have steel vulcanized in it when it was made.

Then you should have a screw that will hold the portion of the w/strip right near where the extension begins to flow into the main section that goes in the track where the w/strip is thin. The one more screw at the very top of the w/strip.

Hopefully your pillar post w./strips are really soft ....because some of these w/strips can be rather dense and cause for the windows to not want to roll all the way up and bind if you have power windows and the doors are shut..

DUB
DUB is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DUB For This Useful Post:
stingraygene (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 PM
  #3  
stingraygene
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: near Madison, WI (Brooklyn, wi)
Posts: 80
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
If you have holes in the lower extension of the pillar post w/strip. I would double check and make sure that there is not a hole for the screw.

It takes two pan head Phillips head screws to hold the extension to the steel portion of the car. And Your extension should have steel vulcanized in it when it was made.

Then you should have a screw that will hold the portion of the w/strip right near where the extension begins to flow into the main section that goes in the track where the w/strip is thin. The one more screw at the very top of the w/strip.

Hopefully your pillar post w./strips are really soft ....because some of these w/strips can be rather dense and cause for the windows to not want to roll all the way up and bind if you have power windows and the doors are shut..

DUB
thanks- they seem to be quite soft. so not counying the weatherstrip part that the glass goes up against but the lower short piece that follows the door curve should have 2 panhead screws? I saw one hole but the rubber may be covering the other hole. I also read to not use screws by glass area as can chip glass? I may be miss-understanding. I would think if attached right and aligned pretty good should be ok right? Thanks DUB for all your help.
stingraygene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 AM
  #4  
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Southbound
Posts: 36,018
Thanks: 0
Thanked 786 Times in 723 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by stingraygene View Post
...I'm shooting somewhat in the dark putting them on as I have nothing to look at except pics on net...
FWIW: the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows weather strip installation. It could save you some surfing time.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-14-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Easy Mike is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Mike For This Useful Post:
stingraygene (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM
  #5  
stingraygene
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: near Madison, WI (Brooklyn, wi)
Posts: 80
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
FWIW: the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows weather strip installation. It cold save you some surfing time.
where would one get this manual?
stingraygene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:36 AM
  #6  
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Southbound
Posts: 36,018
Thanks: 0
Thanked 786 Times in 723 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Most all the Corvette vendors carry the AIMs. You can get them hard copy to fit a three ring binder, or get CD versions.
Easy Mike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM
  #7  
stingraygene
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: near Madison, WI (Brooklyn, wi)
Posts: 80
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
Most all the Corvette vendors carry the AIMs. You can get them hard copy to fit a three ring binder, or get CD versions.
Thank You! - why is it called AIMs? ..sorry- I'm just learning my way around these
stingraygene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM
  #8  
69L46vert
CF Senior Member
 
69L46vert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Buxton Maine
Posts: 464
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Assembly Instruction Manual. I'd bet the holes are there, They're probably just covered in rubber like Dub said. If you poke around a little you might find them.
69L46vert is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM
  #9  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 18,321
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

WITHOUT A DOUBT...there are two screws that will hold the cupped extension portion of the pillar post w/strip. Then another further up where it gets thin like I mentioned. and one at the top.

YES...I have lost count on the number of these w/strips I have had to install where the holes have been coved and I need to poke them out to put a screw where it belongs.

DUB
DUB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM
  #10  
stingraygene
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: near Madison, WI (Brooklyn, wi)
Posts: 80
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
WITHOUT A DOUBT...there are two screws that will hold the cupped extension portion of the pillar post w/strip. Then another further up where it gets thin like I mentioned. and one at the top.

YES...I have lost count on the number of these w/strips I have had to install where the holes have been coved and I need to poke them out to put a screw where it belongs.

DUB
Thanks again.. I'll look today when time permits. I got yellow weather strip adhesive with rubber kit but upon info on this site sounds like 3M black is better- so went and got that too.
stingraygene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
  #11  
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 18,321
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

To be honest with you. On that section of your pillar post w/strip where this cupped extension is going to be touching. I do not use w/strip glue. I instead us a soft non-hardening sealant between it and the body. Some of 3M's back strip caulk can be used there but I use CR Laurence part # 7708 and apply some there and let it slightly ooze out so I know for a fact that no water will get between this extension piece and the body and allow water to sit in there and allow rust to develop.

You do not have to use what I sue ...but I would advise some type of non hardening sealant there...regardless GM had any there or not. Or use what you wish.

DUB
DUB is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DUB For This Useful Post:
stingraygene (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM
  #12  
69L46vert
CF Senior Member
 
69L46vert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Buxton Maine
Posts: 464
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Another tip might be to use some type of lubricant like armor all or something where there is an interference fit. . When it's new it can be grabby and might pull and tear when closing the door. Same for where the window rides up and down on it. At least until it breaks in for a bit. The lower part is a critical area for keeping the water on the outside and using just w/s adhesive might be considered marginal. I used 3m strip caulk just because I already had it for other parts of the weatherstripping. I had some urethane but figured that would be overkill. After rebuilding the entire car, I found that doing a nice job on the weatherstripping one of the more challenging jobs.
69L46vert is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69L46vert For This Useful Post:
stingraygene (09-14-2018)
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: