C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot air coming through center and side vents

Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Hot air coming through center and side vents

As the title says, hot air coming through center and side ac vents. Car is a 72 with factory air that appears to function properly with a minimal amount of air flow however.
I currenly have top and front dash pads out, where/ what should I be looking for. Have been a car guy for a lotta years and worked on old Jags, but will admit to some intimidating looking work ahead of me. Thanks for all your help.
Additionally, any recommendations on replacement of any components living back behind the dash as I know I won’t want to revisit any time soon!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,916 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Hot air leaking through the vents is usually caused by old, deteriorated seals in the heater box. Complete rebuild/seal kits are available to fix that, but the entire heater box should be removed to do the rebuild work.

Lars
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

check the vacuum valve that controls the hot water entering the heater core
https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Corv...BoCbD0QAvD_BwE
Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Thanks Lars. Is this a job done from inside or outside or both? In lieu of this, would disconnecting heater hose eliminate hot water going to heater core just allowing for ambient air sneaking into the cabin?
Many thanks
Dave
Old 09-15-2018, 12:32 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Thanks Lars. Is this a job done from inside or outside or both? In lieu of this, would disconnecting heater hose eliminate hot water going to heater core just allowing for ambient air sneaking into the cabin?
Many thanks
Dave
lars is the guru we all love, and for air leakage he is correct, but unless your getting air in center when u are on defrost as your post seems to indicate If u meant the temp wont blow cool then its the valve mounted on the fender, can be as simple as the vaccum tube got knocked loose when poking around the bay..
Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Thanks sambrand. I can see I’ll be facing a steep learning curve. Appreciate all the help. I get cold ac air from the center and side vents with ac on. However with system totally off I am getting warm air through the vents. Help Mr Wizard

Get notified of new replies

To Hot air coming through center and side vents

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot air coming through center and side vents