C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS there a trick? A/C lines replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:21 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default IS there a trick? A/C lines replacement

81 vette

So, I spent this morning trying to get the broken bolt out of the head where the A/C bracket goes, with no luck. I actually broke an extractor. Going to drill it out and tap...

In the meantime, I was looking at the hoses coming off of the compressor. I have the replacements, since my low pressure line leaks like someone shot it with bird shot. Looking at the line going to the condenser, it looks like it would be a snap to get loose if I take the hood off. That might be problematic if I am the only one at the house for a while. Looking at the other side, if I take my passenger side vent off of my fender, I can reach right in and grab the line coupling. No way am I going to fit a large enough wrench in there to loosen it up.

Is there a trick I am missing, or do I just need to find a really short set of wrenches for one, and remove the hood for the other?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:29 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

The lines go thru a cut-out of sorts in rad support bracket. i took out my rad support and the lines and condensor are right there with nothing in the way. broken ez out. broken in the bolt? you ain't drilling it out.

Last edited by derekderek; 09-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:41 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

year / engine would be helpful

also you are aware the lines decouple with a special tool that slips over the hose and pops them apart?
Old 09-15-2018, 04:02 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Removing the hood by yourself is not that terribly difficult. Here are some recent pointers. You're better off removing it to do the work....instead of damaging things:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-r-and-r.html

Originally Posted by DVAST8R_88
81 vette

So, I spent this morning trying to get the broken bolt out of the head where the A/C bracket goes, with no luck. I actually broke an extractor. Going to drill it out and tap...

In the meantime, I was looking at the hoses coming off of the compressor. I have the replacements, since my low pressure line leaks like someone shot it with bird shot. Looking at the line going to the condenser, it looks like it would be a snap to get loose if I take the hood off. That might be problematic if I am the only one at the house for a while. Looking at the other side, if I take my passenger side vent off of my fender, I can reach right in and grab the line coupling. No way am I going to fit a large enough wrench in there to loosen it up.

Is there a trick I am missing, or do I just need to find a really short set of wrenches for one, and remove the hood for the other?

Old 09-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

You can get to the right front lower metal condenser line without taking the hood off. There is space between the hood and the front valence panel to work on it. I have an '81 also.

Craig
Old 09-15-2018, 05:23 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Ok, thanks, guys. I was not aware of a tool to separate them. I'll see if I can get a loaner from Autozone.

Good thing I asked before trying to force things apart.

Last edited by DVAST8R_88; 09-15-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 PM
sambrand
Racer

Ok, thanks, guys. I was not aware of a tool to separate them. I'll see if I can get a loaner from Autozone.

Good thing I asked before trying to force things apart.
just buy it

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...FVHGwAodsxsIsQ
Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrand
year / engine would be helpful

also you are aware the lines decouple with a special tool that slips over the hose and pops them apart?
Not on a C3, those type lines came along many yrs later!
Have you ever looked under the hood of a C3?
The following 2 users liked this post by '75:
carriljc (09-16-2018), Street Rat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Those lines are easier with the hood off, but doable with it on. Be sure to use a back up wrench to keep from twisting pipe at the condenser connection, it can be fragile.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:56 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

To loosen the lines on the accumulator just take the lines off the compressor, unbolt the accumulator . Then you have to take the rocker panel and shield on the bottom of the fender off. Then you just have to pull the accumulator down through the bottom of the fender. It is easy to get the line off then.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Engage
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

81 vette

No need to remove hood...... Google crowsfoot wrench.I bought a set when I had to do them on my 81
Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys.

I actually looked at a crow's foot set earlier today, but didn't know if they would be large enough for the fittings. I may go that route first just to see how it goes.

It has been mid 90s here this past week, and I could really use some a/c. I'm just glad I have the t-top inserts for the glass tees, or I would really be cooking.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:15 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Engage
No need to remove hood...... Google crowsfoot wrench.I bought a set when I had to do them on my 81
harbor freight carries a full set, don't buy the snap-on ones, you'll need a 2nd on the house if you do

I hate the reason you need a crowfoot wrench, but damn if they aren't the most useful tool you'll rarely use
Old 09-16-2018, 04:49 AM
sambrand
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
Not on a C3, those type lines came along many yrs later!
Have you ever looked under the hood of a C3?
I don't mind being corrected but once you start delvng into being an ******* maybe its time to stop surfing msg boards.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Your misinformation is misleading to the people asking questions, the problem is that they don't know the information is bad. A little care with your responses would help.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (01-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To IS there a trick? A/C lines replacement

Quick Reply: IS there a trick? A/C lines replacement