C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980-82 Blower Motor Replacement Insights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default 1980-82 Blower Motor Replacement Insights?

Can anyone provide the directional steps and encouragement for replacing the blower motor in an '82 with A/C? I have a shop manual and will use it to supplement, but it's nice to know the real story from someone who has actually done it.
I have read the forums and watched the zip video (Willcox's has a broken link to theirs), but none (zero) of them resemble mine and apply to the earlier C3 models. For instance, there is zero firewall to be seen on the passenger side (and, maybe 10% exposed on the driver's left side) as shown in the videos for earlier C3's. There is a fiberglass plenum with the Harrison or other original ID decal/s on it. Can the Motor be accessed from under the dash, or do you have to remove the plenum and jockey the A/C components which looks like a cramped, difficult job? I am only of medium technical level so pls be candid on the degree of difficulty. It is mainly a low miles, precautionary replacement, but the original Motor is starting to make a little noise.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Can anyone provide the directional steps and encouragement for replacing the blower motor in an '82 with A/C? I have a shop manual and will use it to supplement, but it's nice to know the real story from someone who has actually done it.
I have read the forums and watched the zip video (Willcox's has a broken link to theirs), but none (zero) of them resemble mine and apply to the earlier C3 models. For instance, there is zero firewall to be seen on the passenger side (and, maybe 10% exposed on the driver's left side) as shown in the videos for earlier C3's. There is a fiberglass plenum with the Harrison or other original ID decal/s on it. Can the Motor be accessed from under the dash, or do you have to remove the plenum and jockey the A/C components which looks like a cramped, difficult job? I am only of medium technical level so pls be candid on the degree of difficulty. It is mainly a low miles, precautionary replacement, but the original Motor is starting to make a little noise.

Take the radiator overflow tank off first. You can the access the screws that hold the blower motor in place. A long 1/4" extension and ratchet with the correct socket will get to it easier.

Craig
The following users liked this post:
Lakeside49 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

You might try removing the splash pan under that side of the inner fender and go up from there. My car is all apart right now and it looks like a straight shot up t it.
Lakeside49 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

FYI, do the blower wheel mod while in there as well

Willcox sells a motor that has higher speed output, combined with the blower wheel mod it helps actually move a decent amount of air
Lakeside49 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:09 PM
ThumpingLotus7
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I did this job from no knowledge in my 1980 in about 2 hours.

Follow the instructions here, it's pretty easy. The most annoying part was moving the overflow tank.
Lakeside49 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 05:31 PM
StDomingos
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumpingLotus7
I did this job from no knowledge in my 1980 in about 2 hours.

Follow the instructions here, it's pretty easy. The most annoying part was moving the overflow tank.
I used these same instructions and had the same experience. Getting the motor out was no where near as bad as expected. I do recall removing a valve cover to be able to get the coolant reservoir out though. Perhaps I was just impatient and should have tried a bit harder to get it out first.
Lakeside49 (09-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1980-82 Blower Motor Replacement Insights?

Quick Reply: 1980-82 Blower Motor Replacement Insights?