C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th350 shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Steven24f
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th350 shifting problem

When I drive the car normally the transmission goes into all three gears but when I floor the car from 0 or low miles per hour it downshifts perfectly to 1st but it sputters at high rpm's in 1st right before going into 2nd and have to let off the gas for it to go in. It doesn't slip and the tranny rides good normally, I put a brand new fuel pump and lines to be sure it wasn't that and it continues to do it. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I'm no expert, and I'd certainly do your own search, but I recall that the shift modulator for these transmissions is vacuum powered, and often an issue. When you are at WOT, your vacuum is much reduced, perhaps causing issues shifting. Maybe search for "TH350 vacuum shift modulator". It appears that some of them are adjustable, too.

I'll keep my 4-speed, but good luck!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ignition misfire?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:56 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Vacuum modulator for shifting is for less than wot throttle. At wot the shifting is controlled by a govenor on the trans.

however I would suspect fuel starvation if the engine is sputtering , dying just before shifting at high rpm. It could also be ignition as suggested,
is the engine stock or has it been modified for more power?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:08 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

as said above is all valid another thing to look for would be the detent cable isn't returning promptly, or is out of adjustment, crud buildup or broken sprng if its hanging in between it can cause the trans to hesitate because the governor doenst know if it should be shifting up or down, dentent is activated at wot andseems to fit the problem better since you have not noticed engine issues
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Steven24f
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Vacuum modulator for shifting is for less than wot throttle. At wot the shifting is controlled by a govenor on the trans.

however I would suspect fuel starvation if the engine is sputtering , dying just before shifting at high rpm. It could also be ignition as suggested,
is the engine stock or has it been modified for more power?
The motor is a 350 with newer heads, headers, intake manifold, and a Holley 600 but I replaced the fuel pump already hoping it was that just ordered a fuel pressure gauge to monitor it gonna try turning carb once more also
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Steven24f
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by sambrand
as said above is all valid another thing to look for would be the detent cable isn't returning promptly, or is out of adjustment, crud buildup or broken sprng if its hanging in between it can cause the trans to hesitate because the governor doenst know if it should be shifting up or down, dentent is activated at wot andseems to fit the problem better since you have not noticed engine issues
gonna play with he adjustment in the cable when running the carb hopefully that does the trick I thought that cable was for passing gear only guess I was wrong
Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The service manual tell you how to properly adjust the kickdown cable on a TH 350. Your initial description pretty well says there is a problem with ignition or fuel delivery. Under high load conditions ignition is the first to show a failure. Take a close look at plug wires, cap, rotor, points, (you didn't say what year!) and the general condition of the coil. After that, fuel filter and carb.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven24f
The motor is a 350 with newer heads, headers, intake manifold, and a Holley 600 but I replaced the fuel pump already hoping it was that just ordered a fuel pressure gauge to monitor it gonna try turning carb once more also
how is the float level?
If too low it may be starving the engine at high loads.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Motorvation
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

I vote coil degrading, too....

Steve O.

Get notified of new replies

To th350 shifting problem

Quick Reply: th350 shifting problem