C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side yokes for '73 small block manual with 3.36 gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:39 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Side yokes for '73 small block manual with 3.36 gears

How can I tell what side yokes I need for my '73 small block manual with 3.36 gears? I have rebuilt the differential completely, with a new ring and pinions (the same ratio 3.36 ratio as it was originally) and have decided to replace the side yokes as well since I have replaced everything else. I am assuming they are the standard ones, not the heavy duty? Are they interchangeable? I would think not. Any guidance is appreciated!

Scott
Old 09-15-2018, 05:34 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Scott
The only difference between standard and "HD" axles is the way the u-joint is retained. The splines and yoke cradle are the same. A std axle uses U-Bolts and the "HD" uses caps and bolts. There is a huge misunderstanding out there that the HD axles are much better, in fact they are not. If you are just going to drive your car you can use either, although if you don't have the caps the good GM ones run about $25-$30 each. If you are going to hammer the car then more then likely you're going to break something else before you break a u-bolt on a standard axle.

Now original 72-79 axles were junk, they were not face hardened. Rebuilt axles are good as long as you get a good set, they are all over the place in dimension. The original 63-71 maybe 72 axles were the best since they were hardened. I am building a 65 diff now and the original axles are still good and with a tuned posi I will actually have to kiss grind them a few thousands
The following users liked this post:
ScottEwine (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:51 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Scott
The only difference between standard and "HD" axles is the way the u-joint is retained. The splines and yoke cradle are the same. A std axle uses U-Bolts and the "HD" uses caps and bolts. There is a huge misunderstanding out there that the HD axles are much better, in fact they are not. If you are just going to drive your car you can use either, although if you don't have the caps the good GM ones run about $25-$30 each. If you are going to hammer the car then more then likely you're going to break something else before you break a u-bolt on a standard axle.

Now original 72-79 axles were junk, they were not face hardened. Rebuilt axles are good as long as you get a good set, they are all over the place in dimension. The original 63-71 maybe 72 axles were the best since they were hardened. I am building a 65 diff now and the original axles are still good and with a tuned posi I will actually have to kiss grind them a few thousands
Thanks, where would recommend getting a replacement pair? Also, see the pictures I just posted of the originals and see if you agree the pitting warrants replacing them.

Scott

Last edited by ScottEwine; 09-16-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added my name.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

answered in your other thread

Get notified of new replies

To Side yokes for '73 small block manual with 3.36 gears

Quick Reply: Side yokes for '73 small block manual with 3.36 gears