C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggest an oil filler for my ZZ6 crate please

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Suggest an oil filler for my ZZ6 crate please

My new turnkey small block came with a Mr Gasket chrome breather and grommet to use as the oil fill. It installs on the driver side valve cover and leaks like a sieve. Probably a more snug grommet as it fits in the valve cover would fix it but I’d prefer just a dedicated oil fill cap.

I’m assuming I don’t need it to function as a breather since I have a true pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover plumbed into the Holley.

Suggestions? Thanks !
Old 09-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Kie
Pro

Brand new from The General haha

Appears to be leaking between the valve cover and the grommet
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Yes you do need this "vent". If the PCV Valve is sucking nasty air out of the crankcase, how do you suppose fresh air will enter? This breather!
Go to Summit and check out breather grommets. I believe Moroso has a leak-free unit.
Also, is there a baffle under that breather?
Check and see if the grommet even has a hole all the way through. I have seen units that needed to be opened up with a knife.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-11-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Kie
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Yes you do need this "vent". If the PCV Valve is sucking nasty air out of the crankcase, how do you suppose fresh air will enter? This breather!
Go to Summit and check out breather grommets. I believe Moroso has a leak-free unit.
Also, is there a baffle under that breather?
Check and see if the grommet even has a hole all the way through. I have seen units that needed to be opened up with a knife.
Yes there is a baffle in both valve covers. Yes the grommet has a hole all the way through. GM gives you identical grommets for the pcv and the breather. For whatever reason it weeps on the breather side. For now I found a grommet at Orellys that seems to fit more snug.

I did not know you need to introduce fresh air into the crankcase area. I thought the pcv sucking rhe nasty air and making a “vacuum” in there did nothing but good things. I had always thought that having as close to a perfect vacuum as possible was ideal.

Going to Summit now....
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

the softer the grommet the better the seal, they are not always identical don't ask me why cuz I don't know but I do know ive had 2 of the same brand that were different fits right out of the package, same with oil and trans dipsticks you can open two of them in the store and feel they are different even though there the exact same part,
Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Kie
Pro

Ok maybe I’m being dumb. Looks like the grommets are in fact different and perhaps I reversed them. DOH !
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

The crankcase ventilation system is designed to pull air in through the intake breather on one side of the engine and pull air and vapors out the PCV valve on the other side of the engine. If the baffles are not there inside the valve covers, or you do not have enough air being pulled through the opposite side valve cover, the combustion gas that sneaks past the rings will blow out the intake breather and bring oil mist with it. Makes a mess on the valve cover. The PCV valve needs to be pulling full manifold vacuum during idle and cruise to make the system work so hooking it up properly is critical - need to verify that. During wide open throttle the system does not pull in vapors as the manifold has little vacuum.

Check to see where your PCV valve is hooked up. Make sure you have baffles inside the valve covers. You might consider adding a factory style intake tube attached to a proper crankcase intake filter in the base of the air cleaner. It is cheap, works much better - No more mess.

Last edited by stingr69; 09-14-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

correct there are 2 different sizes, one for pvc one for breather, Try switching them
How do you like the ZZ6
Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

That's pretty common with those style of breathers. Even modern day engines LSx motors will mist and make a mess during WOT runs.

If the PCV intake is routed to the intake :non vacuum" the mist will be sucked into the manifold. Otherwise its venting under your hood.

What air cleaner housing are you using?

Even the L88 was routed to the air filter.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Kie
Pro

Guys this is a new turnkey crate from GM so I have to assume the baffles and everything are as they should be inside the valve covers. I hooked the pcv up exactly as the the instructions said to. There is a port on the carb where the hose goes. I used the air cleaner that GM supplied for the motor.

I ordered the new grommet kit from Jegs that will be here Monday. I’m sure one of them will fix me up.

How do I like the ZZ6 ??? Love it! After sorting out the details it feels like it came this way from the factory. Starts/runs/operates like a champ. Idles just right at 6-700 with just a little cam “rumble”. Instant acceleration right off idle with no stumble and rips to 6k in a heartbeat. 405 hp’s feels just about right in this old thing. The sound in the Battery Street tunnel here in latte land is ferocious!

Last edited by Kie; 09-14-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

After confirming that the PCV valve is good.
With the PCV valve hose connected to Manifold vacuum, it should hold a tissue paper to the bottom with the engine at idle
Try moving the PCV valve to the drivers' (left) side and the vent to the passengers' side
Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Keep in mind that not all PCV's really do their job on every engine.

Something for you to look at IF you still and oil seeping. Jim corrected this same issue with this PCV

Not knowing if it really matters but generally the PCV goes in the front of the left valve cover and the fresh air breather intake is where you have the PCV currently.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pcv-valve.html

DUB
Old 09-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

I use this one from Wagner, it works great and is MUCH better than the stock PCV recommended. It is a bit pricey, but worth the extra price IMO.
Wagner PCV

Last edited by Buccaneer; 09-14-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Kie
Pro

It never dawned on me to have the pcv on the driver side. The pcv port is on the passenger side of the Holley 770 so I figured the pcv itself should be on the same side of the engine. The engine wouldn’t care which direction the vapors get sucked would it? It looks so sano plumbed the way it is now.

If it still weeps after I change the grommet I’ll try swapping them left to right.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kie
It never dawned on me to have the PCV on the driver side.

That's the way GM did it.

This is looking at the front of the engine.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Kie
Pro

Hmmmm. The GM website shows my engine with the pcv on the passenger side and breather on the drivers. Although that “breather” sure looks like nothing more than an oil filler. Weird.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

I think I spotted the problem. Nothing wrong with the breather, nothing wrong with the grommet. Baffle is in the valve cover. That's good. However, I see a vacuum line off of the dizzy going to the front of the carb. I suspect the PCV hose is going to "Ported" vacuum. Is that what's going on?

Get notified of new replies

To Suggest an oil filler for my ZZ6 crate please

Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Kie
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I think I spotted the problem. Nothing wrong with the breather, nothing wrong with the grommet. Baffle is in the valve cover. That's good. However, I see a vacuum line off of the dizzy going to the front of the carb. I suspect the PCV hose is going to "Ported" vacuum. Is that what's going on?
I will re-check my work tomorrow when I’m back from camping. I’m certain I double/triple/quadruple checked the connections. The installation guide from GM was very specific and clear where the 4 hoses (brake booster, dizzy, pcv and hvac vacuum) go.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Kie
Pro

Default pcv goes in passenger side v-cover on a ZZ6

I knew I did at least one thing right lol

Last edited by Kie; 09-14-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:16 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Now that I think about it, very few PCV hoses are hooked up to the front of the carb. Usually too small of port to do any good. As your instructions state, hook PCV to large port. Those are always in the back or a separate brass port off of the intake. I don't see a fitting on your intake.
Keep in mind, even a brand new engine will have built up crankcase pressure known as blow-by. I think that's what's happening at the grommet, its exhausting instead of a steady income of air.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-15-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Suggest an oil filler for my ZZ6 crate please