C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won my bracket at 2018 Old Daze Drags

Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Won my bracket at 2018 Old Daze Drags

This is from Island Dragway's annual Old Daze Drags for cars 30 years and older. I was in the N3 bracket for 12.00 to 13.99 dial-ins. There were 21 cars in the first round. Weather was warm and humid, DA around 2200, so not good conditions. But that doesn't matter in bracket racing. We ran 3 time shots instead of the usual 2. That was good since this was only my second time racing this year. The time slips above are for those runs. I'm car 311, in the right lane. 12.57, 12.57 and 12.58 - can't ask for more consistency. Reaction times (R/T) were good so I felt comfortable.

Time slips from rounds 1, 2 and 3 above. I stuck with the right lane. Ran an old Baracuda in Round 1. I didn't think he could go faster than his dial in, 13.00, but he did. I was close behind and I tapped the brakes while he broke out for the loss.
Round 2 was a 55 Chevy dialed 12.98. I raised my dial a little based on Round 1 time slip data. The guy in the 55 was sleeping on the line and couldn't run his number so that was an easy one.
Third round was a nice Plymouth Duster, dialed 12.20 - so I would get the head start. Still in the right lane, I adjusted my dial a little higher again. I left with a decent light, he redlighted. That's a minus .181 reaction for him. When the other guy red lights the race is over so I ran it flat out and went .01 below my dial. I had a .075 R/T and that would be important next round.

Round 4 now, down to 3 cars. Me, a 70 Camaro and an 85 Vette. Somebody was getting a bye into the final - this is usually based on best reaction time from the previous round. That turned out to be my .075. I was rooting for the Camaro since I was 0 for 3 against that Vette in the past, all redlights. He's like my white whale.
Well the Vette won and he was running the right lane all day also so I knew I might end up in the left lane in the final. So, I made my bye-run in the left lane. I was shocked to see my R/T was .006, but I still wanted the right lane in the final. Also, the car ran a little quicker on that run so I dialed down to 12.59 for the final. I ended up getting lane choice due my .006 light in the semifinal, so I took the right - forcing my nemesis to the left. There was over 4 tenths spot for me but due to his much better light and better 60 ft time he was at my side quickly. He pulled away about a car length so all I could do was force him to stay on the gas while I tapped the brakes at the stripe. he got there first but broke out by .02 while I was .02 over, for the win.

Here is the grand prize. It looks like a small ketchup bottle with me holding it.

Last edited by BKbroiler; 09-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BKbroiler:
ajrothm (09-19-2018), larrywalk (09-25-2018), marshal135 (09-27-2018), OMF (09-24-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Congratulations! Pretty consistent. Winning always feels good.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
BKbroiler (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Great job!
BKbroiler (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats
BKbroiler (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Congrats, we’ll done!

i like the Katsup bottle trophy
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Congrats, we’ll done!

i like the Katsup bottle trophy
Thanks. I was surprised when I saw that trophy. The funny thing was, the runner up trophy was a regular type trophy and it was bigger than the winner trophy. I guess size doesn't matter all the time.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Wow...congratulations!! What a way to represent our old stuff!! Proves they still work...especially when you've got the car and the driver dialed in like you do!

JIM
Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Very cool. Congrats
BKbroiler (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Wow...congratulations!! What a way to represent our old stuff!! Proves they still work...especially when you've got the car and the driver dialed in like you do!

JIM
Thanks Jim. I was surprised to see 3 other C3s in the first round. I had never seen 2 of them before. No C2s though.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Nice job! The car was deadly consistent and you were "ON" them lights.... Good running car and good piloting...Glad to see you are still out racing it!

I wish we had a classics only/nostalgia race down here. I'd be all about it. About 5-6 years ago, we had a Nostalgia drags race, 1972 and older, it only lasted 3 years, but it had a lot of participants and was a hell of a lot of fun. I figured out that I'm not good at bracket racing...LOL

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-19-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Nice job! The car was deadly consistent and you were "ON" them lights.... Good running car and good piloting...Glad to see you are still out racing it!

I wish we had a classics only/nostalgia race down here. I'd be all about it. About 5-6 years ago, we had a Nostalgia drags race, 1972 and older, it only lasted 3 years, but it had a lot of participants and was a hell of a lot of fun. I figured out that I'm not good at bracket racing...LOL
Thanks Alan. If you were at this event, running mid 10s, you'd have been in N2 bracket, 10.00 to 11.99.There were about 30 cars in that group but most were 11 second cars so you would have the advantage as the faster car. And you probably would have been the only guy to drive his car to the track.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Thanks Alan. If you were at this event, running mid 10s, you'd have been in N2 bracket, 10.00 to 11.99.There were about 30 cars in that group but most were 11 second cars so you would have the advantage as the faster car. And you probably would have been the only guy to drive his car to the track.
Back when I bracket raced it last time, it was pretty consistent 10.70s that day in qualifying. I dialed in 10.80. I got lucky and went a couple rounds due to opponents red lighting or spinning. I went out on a spinning pass... I bought back in and drew a 9.90 bracket car Chevelle with a delay box on the first round. I decided to give it hell.. I shallow staged, went hard all the way because I knew he was way faster and way more dialed in. I went a 10.68 on a 10.80 with a .600 light....But some how he still managed to beat me to the stripe and he didn't break out. I knew I lost from the break out, yet I also lost at the stripe. That was it for my bracket racing career...LOL

Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,250 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Congrats......

Cool trophy. In case you don't know I learned from my bracket racing days reaction time (all else being equal) can be effected by lane choice and which is your dominate eye. Especially as you age. Test the theory out. And remember your worst day drag racing is still way better than your best day most other places😎
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Back when I bracket raced it last time, it was pretty consistent 10.70s that day in qualifying. I dialed in 10.80. I got lucky and went a couple rounds due to opponents red lighting or spinning. I went out on a spinning pass... I bought back in and drew a 9.90 bracket car Chevelle with a delay box on the first round. I decided to give it hell.. I shallow staged, went hard all the way because I knew he was way faster and way more dialed in. I went a 10.68 on a 10.80 with a .600 light....But some how he still managed to beat me to the stripe and he didn't break out. I knew I lost from the break out, yet I also lost at the stripe. That was it for my bracket racing career...LOL
Most bracket races are won or lost at the starting line, with the reaction times. You don't know it until later though.

Originally Posted by Vette5311
Cool trophy. In case you don't know I learned from my bracket racing days reaction time (all else being equal) can be effected by lane choice and which is your dominate eye. Especially as you age. Test the theory out. And remember your worst day drag racing is still way better than your best day most other places😎
Funny that you mention dominant eye, and the ageing process. I'm 67 and I've had surgery on both eyes for partially detached retinas. After that, cataract surgery on both eyes. What I have now is, I see distance with my left eye and close up vision with my right eye. I don't wear glasses or contacts and this works pretty well, believe it or not. Not sure what it does to my reaction times though.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You definitely have the dial in game down!
BKbroiler (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,250 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Yep.........

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Most bracket races are won or lost at the starting line, with the reaction times. You don't know it until later though.

Funny that you mention dominant eye, and the ageing process. I'm 67 and I've had surgery on both eyes for partially detached retinas. After that, cataract surgery on both eyes. What I have now is, I see distance with my left eye and close up vision with my right eye. I don't wear glasses or contacts and this works pretty well, believe it or not. Not sure what it does to my reaction times though.
I believe, although I am no Dr, you what is called mono vision correction. My Dr gave me contacts for that same thing and said try them a while before we do the correction in that way because there is no going back. I kept them for several months and thought I really liked it, no more reading glasses, could always see. What he explained to me is where ever you were looking your brain blocked out the signal from the other eye. But what he didn't tell me, or maybe I missed it, is it was like old time radio, before stereo. I found out by accident when I was on a trip and lost a contact and had to buy a pair from the old prescription. (pre mono vision Rx) Well what a change. I did not realize the partial lose of depth perception because of the mono vision and all at once it was like a new seeing experience again, like stereo. Needless to say I did not have the correction done, in fact I still use contacts. Having said all that my original intent was to comment on the "tree" and reaction time, not a rant into my own medical! Now I found during staging, by accident, having my head turned that my brain was picking up my other eye and then I noticed from my time slips, this was happening depending on the lane I was in and I was "seeing" better with one eye than the other, hence better lights in the lane with the dominate eye closer to the tree. Amazed, I was and changed the delay box according to lane / eye and got my reaction times really down. Not to brag but that season I had 10 or 12 perfect lights. Became a killer on the tree, but never told anyone my secret till now!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette5311
I believe, although I am no Dr, you what is called mono vision correction. My Dr gave me contacts for that same thing and said try them a while before we do the correction in that way because there is no going back. I kept them for several months and thought I really liked it, no more reading glasses, could always see. What he explained to me is where ever you were looking your brain blocked out the signal from the other eye. But what he didn't tell me, or maybe I missed it, is it was like old time radio, before stereo. I found out by accident when I was on a trip and lost a contact and had to buy a pair from the old prescription. (pre mono vision Rx) Well what a change. I did not realize the partial lose of depth perception because of the mono vision and all at once it was like a new seeing experience again, like stereo. Needless to say I did not have the correction done, in fact I still use contacts. Having said all that my original intent was to comment on the "tree" and reaction time, not a rant into my own medical! Now I found during staging, by accident, having my head turned that my brain was picking up my other eye and then I noticed from my time slips, this was happening depending on the lane I was in and I was "seeing" better with one eye than the other, hence better lights in the lane with the dominate eye closer to the tree. Amazed, I was and changed the delay box according to lane / eye and got my reaction times really down. Not to brag but that season I had 10 or 12 perfect lights. Became a killer on the tree, but never told anyone my secret till now!
Yes it is called monovision. I actually got when the wrong lense was put in during my second cataract surgery. They were going to change it but I had to wait a month. During that time I got used to the situation and decided to keep it that way. I do notice a lack of depth perception, but only close up. Beyond that it is fine. It still hasn't given me any triple zero R/Ts, but I'll keep trying. Don't worry, I won't divulge your secret.

Get notified of new replies

To Won my bracket at 2018 Old Daze Drags

Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice! You and your car are always pretty consistent. You deserve it.

I didn't get to go because of work. I always miss the fun days. I'll see you in October for the next one.
BKbroiler (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:51 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 241 Posts

Nice going. I like cute, not so ordinary little trophies better than big ones.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:31 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 76Rat
Nice! You and your car are always pretty consistent. You deserve it.

I didn't get to go because of work. I always miss the fun days. I'll see you in October for the next one.
Thanks Joe. Hope to see you there Oct 14.

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
Nice going. I like cute, not so ordinary little trophies better than big ones.
Thanks. That trophy is growing on me, now that its been relegated to the garage with the others.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won my bracket at 2018 Old Daze Drags