C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sharing my progress - 425 rear wheel hp on pump gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:18 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Taucher
Thank you. My engine builder spec'd this over my choices because his experience suggested that although the rumble will be less impressive, the car will be more driveable and will still get me great horsepower. I am happy to trade some show for more go.
Good builder. I'm glad he decided to chase the best driveability and torque vs. hitting an arbitrary power #.

I don't know the primary size of your headers, but I get 482 ft lbs @ 4,500 and 498 HP @ 6,000 RPM with "small" header ID (slightly larger than your exhaust valve size ( 1 5/8") or 479 ft lbs & 504 hp with "large" open headers (1 3/4" primaries or larger). --If the 2 HP shy of 500 really bugs you, a 1.6 Rocker on the intake gets you exactly 500hp according to DDYNO2003...

Using made up math, you should clear 400 RWHP, probably be a bit short of your original goal, but have better driveability and the feeling of more average torque.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Nice build !

I’m also in the Seattle area. Pretty much done with the mechanical portion of restomodding my 75. At some point I will be getting some body/paint work done to the car. I see you went to “Fenders and Fins” in Woodinville. Would you recommend them ?
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

On the subject of Seattle area shops: Kie / Walter, if either of you knows of a place that does good fiberglass work, let me know. I really hate the front bumperettes on my 79 and I'm considering having someone remove them and the heavy metal plate behind then and them repair and blend the fiberglass back in (really nothing helps handling like 40lbs of weight put as absolutely far out in front of the front wheels as possible...)

(And it would help me dream about a rear chrome bumper conversion and fender flares from Custom Images Corvettes....)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 09-24-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

The guy that bought my stock motor/trans recommended Classy Chassis in Olympia for fiberglass repair. Spoke with the owner on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable and also owns a C3 himself.

The rear bumper mod was a piece of cake. I bought the pretend 68-73 cap and bolted it on. New tailights, new Stingray emblem, motorcycle license plate bolts with led lights and boom done. I might even paint it someday lol.

https://www.facebook.com/classychassisautobodyandpaint/

Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kie
Nice build !

I’m also in the Seattle area. Pretty much done with the mechanical portion of restomodding my 75. At some point I will be getting some body/paint work done to the car. I see you went to “Fenders and Fins” in Woodinville. Would you recommend them ?
The owner of Fenders and FIns is very hands on. Give them a visit and you may be impressed by the high dollar vehicles being worked on at their facility. They are small and i felt fortunate that they were able schedule me in quickly and get my project done. The cost for my project seemed reasonable to me.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kie

The guy that bought my stock motor/trans recommended Classy Chassis in Olympia for fiberglass repair. Spoke with the owner on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable and also owns a C3 himself.

The rear bumper mod was a piece of cake. I bought the pretend 68-73 cap and bolted it on. New tailights, new Stingray emblem, motorcycle license plate bolts with led lights and boom done. I might even paint it someday lol.

That is cool. Looks like it came that way.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kie

That is cool. Looks like it came that way.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

I like you monza style gas cap. Can you tell us where you got that? It looks real.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
On the subject of Seattle area shops: Kie / Walter, if either of you knows of a place that does good fiberglass work, let me know. I really hate the front bumperettes on my 79 and I'm considering having someone remove them and the heavy metal plate behind then and them repair and blend the fiberglass back in (really nothing helps handling like 40lbs of weight put as absolutely far out in front of the front wheels as possible...)

(And it would help me dream about a rear chrome bumper conversion and fender flares from Custom Images Corvettes....)

Adam
I had my hood painted and a broken corner fixed by Jon at Fendersandfins.com in Woodenville. He did a fantastic job. He isn't the fastest but his work is top quality.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Kie

Lookin good Kie! You're making great progress!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

Bottom end of my 383 complete. AFR heads being blueprinted and getting close to be ready for installing it.

https://7dshark.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I was looking at the blog. What is the cc of the dished pistons and what was the final c/r

Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Bottom end of my 383 complete. AFR heads being blueprinted and getting close to be ready for installing it.

https://7dshark.blogspot.com/
That windage tray wow! Does it mount to the extra long L82-style studs? (Looks like)

any chance you you have the part #?

Adam
Old 10-25-2018, 05:33 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

Will comfirm later if you need exact part but i think this is the piston from Jegs catalog... https://www.jegs.com/i/SRP/867/27105...9MEALw_wcB-5cc
CR should be 9.8:1
Old 10-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

I will get you the part number for the teflon windage tray. Chuck picked this item and it is a shame that I have to have an oil pan hide it from view.

Last edited by Walter Taucher; 10-25-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

update on my progress..
https://7dshark.blogspot.com/2018/12...-manifold.html

They shipped me a warped manifold. This came with my expensive Pro-M EFI kit. I am confident that they will come up with a satisfactory solution but what a letdown.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:23 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

update on my progress..
https://7dshark.blogspot.com/2018/12...-manifold.html

They shipped me a warped manifold. This came with my expensive Pro-M EFI kit. I am confident that they will come up with a satisfactory solution but what a letdown.

Bummer. And since today is the last day of the year, put it behind you. Tomorrow starts a new year ! Thanks for sharing your build
The following users liked this post:
Walter Taucher (01-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To sharing my progress - 425 rear wheel hp on pump gas

Old 12-31-2018, 05:50 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

What makes you say it's warped?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:37 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by sstocker31
What makes you say it's warped?
I agree that is like many of the edelbrock intakes. I used to wonder why they don't care about the customer
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Walter Taucher
Advanced

By warped, it appears that from the back of the manifold the ports are close and then is more pronounced at the front part. Esp compared to the drivers side.

Quick Reply: sharing my progress - 425 rear wheel hp on pump gas